Benq Laptops

bonsaimax

BenQ laptops seem to be the best value for money in terms of specs. What experience have you had with them? I am looking to buy one soon [Joybook S31V-316], and I need your opinions (performance, battery life, charging time, customer support).

Cheers!

BenQs can be pretty good price vs performance wise, although perhaps not as good as Acer. However, they're more stylish than Acer.

The one that you're looking at is an older model. It has a Core Duo CPU, while the current CPU is the Core 2 Duo (with a newer chipset, too). If you're not looking to do much with it, and can get a good deal on it (like less than 30k) then it's probably OK. You should get more ram (at least 1GB more) and perhaps consider the extended warranty.

I personally got a BenQ S41, which has the Core2 Duo, 2GB of ram (added), a Nvidia 8600M graphics core (for gaming), and HDMI output. It can outperform most mid-range desktops here, while costing only around 40k.

Are they puting the linux on it as in the ads I saw or Vista. Would think the price would drop with linux in it., and I saw the drive is 100G SATA, but only 5400 arn't they norm. 7200 these days?? not sure how much diff. it makes may not even be able to tell.

My friend was looking for a laptop last year ! done a round in pantip and the best value for money was the BenQ at this time , just bit better as the Acer for body and hardware !

Both same company !

Bough the benQ , and received it without window install, done all the software myself for him !

no problem with the machine as a low cost machine !

Benq doesn't belong to Acer, but it used to be the manufacturing arm of Acer. It's currently it's own company (was spun off in 2000, and adopted the Benq name in 2002).

I'm pretty happy with the S41, except for the fact that like most other new notebooks, it doesn't come with XP drivers, only Vista. And yes, it comes with Linux, no other OS. It's very stylish, and has all the bells and whistles that I would need.

HDDs running at 4200rpm used to be the norm for notebooks. Now 5400rpm is the norm, with very very few running at 7200rpm. 7200rpm is the norm for desktops. Yes, you can tell the difference. You can buy a replacement 7200rpm drive if you want, but their size is limited. It's one of the things that's easily user-replaceable/upgradeable (RAM, HDD, software) and really shouldn't be factored into the buying decision.

Benq doesn't belong to Acer, but it used to be the manufacturing arm of Acer. It's currently it's own company (was spun off in 2000, and adopted the Benq name in 2002).

Acer is finally severing relationships with its one-time sister company, BenQ.

Published: 18 Apr 2006 16:50 BST

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000...39263877,00.htm

learn something today ! was thinking acer and benQ was the like of toyota and lexus !