Credit Card Security

If Iam living in Thailand what is the safest and cost efficient way of receiving a credit card from another country.

I hear the regular postal service is not reliable for sending valuables.

Will be happy to hear anyones advice or experience.

FedEx should be okay (not a cheap affair, though), I assume your credit card company will BLOCK the card until you inform them that it arrived in your hands.

thats how my European CC-issuer did, when I needed a new card in Jakarta earlier this year. my relatives sent it to my countrie's embassy in Jakarta, where I collected it and then informed the CC company that it had arrived safe. one hour later I was able to use it

New credit card?

Usually you have to call to activate them. They are worthless plastic until then. So regular mail should do.

I never tried to send a active card. I would call your credit card company to temporarily disable the card, as suggested by siam2007, or have them send you a new card and activate it when you get it. :o

I just went through this with Citibank and I had a bit of difficulty, they told me my address was too long and it wouldn't fit into the computer. I asked to speak with the supervisor who told me that the computer program would only allow 20 characters per line and there was nothing she could do. She advised that I send it to an address in the States and then have them send it to me or go to the local post office and see if I could shorten my address.

I chose the latter and the man at the post office said I couldn't shorten the address in any way but he said I could open a post office box for 100 baht per year. I then called the credit card company to see if they would send it to a post office box. They said that they would and I asked about registered mail and UPS and was told that they couldn't do that because they can't send either of those methods to a PO Box and my address was too long.

So I had it sent to the PO Box and received it without any problems other than being really nervous and checking my account online everyday until it arrived.

Edited by CWMcMurray