World Of Warcraft In Thailand

Sanook77

Hello,

Yes I am a geek, yes I need my Warcraft fix! :o

So I was wondering, which places in Thailand make it possible to get a good enough connection to play the game, especially on the European servers. I've played in both Bangkok and Pattaya, with Pattaya having the best connection for me. I was averaging around 600-800ms, which was very acceptable to me.

Where have you played the game?

Thanks.

The only places I've seen people playing online games is around universities in Bangkok. I think mainly due to demographics and perhaps they have better quality connections around the universities. These shops also cost about 10 baht per hour, but are way off the beaten path.

Edited by Carmine6

I've played in Bangkok and Phuket... Phuket was pretty bad but playable... bangkok was (and still is) very playable... I've played several games to date and not really found a problem.

The overall latency will always put you at a slight disadvantage over players who can reach the golden 100-200ms response time, but at the end of the day i've played PvP (player vs Player) and done extreemly well... even at 500ms response times. So its worth a go!

Hello !

I'am actually living in BGK, and looking for a place where it's possible to play WoW...

My computer is still in Phuket so till I'am not back there, i really need to find out a cyber cofee where i can play that game -)

If you can help me out, it will be very helpfull.

If you know many... i stay near Seacon Square but whatever, i really want to play :o

Thanks a lot !

I have recently got a version of WOW which is patched to 1.40 ENUS. there is also a program called BNupdate which I have tried running but it says there are no patches to install. But on the internet I have noticed that there is newer patches available but there doesnt seem to be a patch from 1.4 upto the latest version . Do I need to update each patch incrementally or just download the latest version I can see.................

Still havent played the game so no idea what the hullabaloo is all about

JAF

Im playing wow right now! Im in Bangkok, most apartments worth their salt have highspeed and wow plays great.... if yours doesnt... time to stop living like a farm hick and pay more than 2000b a month on rent!

Justanotherfarang..... what are you talking about? the game auto patches by itself, you CANNOT play until it patches you to the latest update, just run the game and try to log on and see, it will start downloading the patch.

OK, I play on Garithos US server, anyone else here? Not likely...... heh

Damian

So nobody plays on Garithos US huh? I can never raid with my guild... unless I want to get up at 6am! And getting an arena partner is impossible.... I need a local partner to team up for arena.

Damian

I used to play, but stopped for similar reasons... i now play the Euro version of LOTRO.. whilst i still have a similar problem, its possible to get my guild to raid earlier on the weekends meaning i can join them!

I might consider coming back to WoW if we get enough SEA based players interested

So nobody plays on Garithos US huh? I can never raid with my guild... unless I want to get up at 6am! And getting an arena partner is impossible.... I need a local partner to team up for arena.

Damian

I used to play, but stopped for similar reasons... i now play the Euro version of LOTRO.. whilst i still have a similar problem, its possible to get my guild to raid earlier on the weekends meaning i can join them!

I might consider coming back to WoW if we get enough SEA based players interested

I play on the Aman Thul oceanic server. Lots of aussies and the like, who play at the same time as me. Evenings.

If you see a Lvl 53 shadow priest walking around named Beyonder - thats me! lol (Also lvl 23 Paladin - Liteforge)

No what are you talking about? Dodgy servers? DO YOU HAVE AN ACTUAL STORE BOUGHT COPY OF THE GAME for about 1500 baht? Dodgy servers means someones private server to play the game with a few friends AWAY from the millions of other players..... you are not on one of those and you dont know it....... impossible. You buy the game, install it and load it up, it will ask for your credit card, you know that right? You have to pay money each month to play, when you try to log on it will auto update.

If you really are trying to run a copy and play OFFLINE what is the point? There are tons of good offline rpgs, the whole point of wow is the competitive aspect and the social aspect, without that its not so great.

Damian

errr thanks Damian, glad you finally got the gist that I am trying to play on private servers to see if this is the game for me.

the version I have is 1.40 and although I can see upgrades from 1.42 upwards to the latest version on unofficial web sites, I cannot see any upgrades from 1.40 to the latest version, was hoping that someone could help me locating the appropiate files

Simple really, nothing that you should not understand so no need to repeatedly ask me what I am talking about

JAF

'Private' servers are technically illegal... i strongly suggest you go buy an original and try the game... or hunt around on EBay for a second hand account, or scout around and see if theres a free trial offer somewhere... however playing on 'private' servers will not be discussed here. Should you continue down this line i will have no choice other than to remove your posting rights.

//Edit: Always willing to help a fellow gamer... try these links

Free Trial

Free Trail Download

World of Warcraft on Ebay

Regards

Wolfie

Private servers or offline wow is going to suck. You will NOT get a good feel of the game and come to a proper conclusion on whether you like it or not..... without the population and everything that goes with it (good and bad) you wont see what the games all about. Im pretty sure that if you play wow offline (that shouldnt be illegal if its simply offline with you running around the world by yourself) you cannot upgrade the version because then the offline capability that has been hacked wont work. Someone changed it for the version they gave/sold you, updating will make it inoperable Im pretty sure. This goes for any other kind of situation that isnt official as well. I always borrow someones game to try it before buying it, but if you dont know anyone guess you cant do that. Someone could give you a trial pass that is free and lasts 10 days, that would be the best choice. There are tons of free trial passes out there. All you gotta do is install the full game (from anywhere) and use the key from the trial pass to log on.

Damian

Edited by DamianMavis

Ah! Finally found a WoW thread. And here I thought I was the only person playing on a legitimate server in these parts.

I've got a 70 Rogue and just started a Paladin on the Underbog server. I figured a low pop server would give me less lag troubles, but I was apparently mistaken. PvP is really tough; stun-locking people is nigh-impossible with the 500-800ms. Raiding is fine since I just mash my attacks on rogue, and overheal as Pally.

Overall though, it's been a rather painful experience so far, playing on a PvP server with this lag. I actually made a topic asking if it's possible to get better ping prior to finding this thread.

For the guy staying near Seacon, you could head down to the sois flaking ABAC (just down Srinakharin road) and play at the multitude of cybercafes there. Pretty much everyone you will see playing there is on a thai-localized private server though. :o

edit: typo

Edited by Dissolution

Ooh didnt know we were going to talk about our characters! I've got a 70 warrior on Garithos. Recently started a Bloodelf rogue to play with my Japanese girlfriend who is a bloodelf hunter, she loves it! We're lv 10! haha.

I dont have any lag problems, only occassionaly for no reason I can discern, Ilive near On Nut. Play at emporium starbucks sometimes on true and its good but once it was horrible... its not constant it seems.

Damian

What kind of ping are you getting? I live in Ratchada, somewhat close to the True building (not sure if it's a substation).

Nice, you managed to convince your girlfriend to play. :o

Trying to play over WAN anywhere, not just Starbucks would be terrible, I'd imagine. WAN is also limited by how far you are away from the router, whether there are walls/doors/windows in the way, etc.

After seeing this WoW thread, I convinced my wife that we had to reopen our accounts, after a 4 month break :o Especially with the new expansion coming out (soon?), with the new lvl 80 cap.

We are playing on the Bloodscalp EU server. And I got the following chars:

1 x lvl70 priest (my main)

1 x lvl70 Mage

1 x lvl60 Rogue

1 x lvl23 lock

Our latency seems to have improved from when we played last time... Now we have around 300-500ms, playing from BKK, which is just fine for PvP and grinding (which we mostly do for now...). I have a 1Mbit ToT line, and a 2Mbit wireless connection (provider unknown), which is a part of the apartment.

Seems my ping has gotten worse... I tend to get ~1500 to 2000 ping nowadays. I even have a screenshot where I killed someone in WSG @ 3300 ping, as a Pally.

Geez, this is getting unplayable. I did a trace and found that the connection jams up really badly going through the AT&T servers in the US... so I guess there nothing I can do on this end. It was ~10ms in Thailand, then jumped to 800-980 the first US hop, then somewhere 3-5 hops down the line, it started to time out.

My friends from Singapore recommended moving to Gorgonnash where they were apparently experiencing less lag (300-700ms), but it's the same deal for me. :'(

If this doesn't clear up soon, I guess I'll be forced to quit, sine it's pretty much impossible to play reliably. :'(

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if its gotten less laggy for you Dissolution? I have been having the same problem the last 3 weeks, (although it worked fine for 4 days last week). When I run a trace it seems to change from day to day though, sometimes missing data in the US sometimes in Bankok, somtimes both. Maxnet seems to think its not them, Blizzard thinks its not them. Im in Chiang Mai BTW. Is noone in Bangkok having problems? I really don't want to have to give up playing, if anyone having trouble has been able to fix it?