Questions About Thais Serving As Monks

mailman

My first visit to the Buddhism forum and had a few questions as it relates to Buddhism and my girlfriends family. My girlfriend has 5 brothers, several that are now married. She told me that none of her brothers served as a monk for any period of time. I thought it was pretty much a given that Thai men spend some time as a monk or is that no longer the case?

Also, when a Thai man serves as a monk for a few weeks or months, is it expected that the Thai family contribute financially to where he is serving to help support the temple where he is at or will the monks just welcome any Thai male that wants to serve, without question?

Thanks, I just want to have a better understanding of how things work.

The bare bones ordination is pretty simple and inexpensive....almost any male can do it...there are a list of questions that must be answered properly....some diseases rule you out for instance....you have to be old enough....you have to declare that its your own decision....some pretty simple stuff really.

This is all from what I understand as I have no direct experience with becoming a monk.

Chownah

My (limited) understanding is that it is not a rule, just a "good thing" to become a monk, for some period of time (and the longer the better, but people's circumstances differ). Also, it is "good" to do it before marrying. I am not aware of any custom or requirement to contribute financially. It brings great merit to one's family, I believe.

My first visit to the Buddhism forum and had a few questions as it relates to Buddhism and my girlfriends family. My girlfriend has 5 brothers, several that are now married. She told me that none of her brothers served as a monk for any period of time. I thought it was pretty much a given that Thai men spend some time as a monk or is that no longer the case?

I asked a good number of Thai males studying in OZ and none I can remember said they have been monks, which I found suprising at the time. I think the new generation, especially middle class types are no so interested in Buddhism, and a good number that do become monks do it to satisfy their parents.

Also, when a Thai man serves as a monk for a few weeks or months, is it expected that the Thai family contribute financially to where he is serving to help support the temple where he is at or will the monks just welcome any Thai male that wants to serve, without question?

It is not really considered a financial contribution to the temple, it is considered to be one of the best types of donations a Thai can do in their life, that is, to sponsor their sons ordination into monkhood. Most Thai males will be received easily for ordination, the richer you are perceived to be the more money put into the ceremony.

I was ordained temporarily in a Thai temple in the countryside. There is an expectation of the applicant giving donations and gifts to the monks present at the ordination, as well the family usually serves lunch after the ceremony. After disrobing I was also encouraged by my family to make a donation to the temple and gifts to particular monks who helped me out. I spent around 30,000 all up i think. I hear it is much more expensive in Bangkok. And being a farang, the monks where I ordained assumed that I was rich and expected gifts.

It is possible for 'poor' people to ordain without paying anything, but it seems social pressures encourage it - you would look like a tight arse if you didn't donate.

These days I hear they will not ordain anyone - there are restrictions in the vinaya as mentioned, but also some abbots are fussy about who they will take. some not accepting people with criminal records etc

As long as you can answer the ordination questions correctly then you can become a monk. There are some temples that will ordain anyone who can answer the questions. They even have extra robes and bowls which they will give you. I'm not sure but I don't think there is any fee at all. Just about any Thai male can become a monk at little or no expense if they are motivated to do so. As to bowing to social pressure to spend money....I guess we all have our weaknesses.

I have never actually checked into becoming a monk in Thailand and I am just relating what I think I have heard about ordination...it really is widely available to Thai males if they really desire it seems to be what many have said.

Chownah

As long as you can answer the ordination questions correctly then you can become a monk. There are some temples that will ordain anyone who can answer the questions. They even have extra robes and bowls which they will give you. I'm not sure but I don't think there is any fee at all. Just about any Thai male can become a monk at little or no expense if they are motivated to do so. As to bowing to social pressure to spend money....I guess we all have our weaknesses.

I have never actually checked into becoming a monk in Thailand and I am just relating what I think I have heard about ordination...it really is widely available to Thai males if they really desire it seems to be what many have said.

Chownah

I was ordained temporarily in a Thai temple in the countryside. There is an expectation of the applicant giving donations and gifts to the monks present at the ordination, as well the family usually serves lunch after the ceremony. After disrobing I was also encouraged by my family to make a donation to the temple and gifts to particular monks who helped me out. I spent around 30,000 all up i think. I hear it is much more expensive in Bangkok. And being a farang, the monks where I ordained assumed that I was rich and expected gifts.

It is possible for 'poor' people to ordain without paying anything, but it seems social pressures encourage it - you would look like a tight arse if you didn't donate.

These days I hear they will not ordain anyone - there are restrictions in the vinaya as mentioned, but also some abbots are fussy about who they will take. some not accepting people with criminal records etc

You are right on, Bankei, I was a monk for two months in the country side, and as a farang, it was expected that I would give some gifts to the monks at the temple. I had a sponser, a very well off Thai, and it cost him about 100,000 baht for the ceremony. Some temples will take almost anyone, and some will be very picky about who they let ordain there. I am an American, and the very first farang to ordain at this temple. It was quite a surprise to the monks already there, but a big boost of face to the abbot. :D It's not easy being a Buddhist monk at a temple where no one speaks English. But, I managed. I had many Thai visitors who came by to talk to me in English. And on Wan Phra days, the attendance at the temple almost doubled of Thai people coming to see the Phra Falang. :o

When I ordained my mother in law paid for all of the robes and bowl etc, though many items were replaced from the storeroom later on as being the wrong size or not suitable for a forset monk.

The family put some money in an envelope for each monk 'officiating' at the ordination. I was very uncomfortable with this as even permitting money to be placed beside you implying that the money is for you is against the Vinaya, but you can't fight thai culture.

I don't know what happened to the money, maybe it went to the temple or maybe it was handled by each monks steward on his behalf. As it was a Dhammayut wat I'd like to think they weren't too far away from the Vinaya in what they did with it.