Arriving from canada

Trev

I will be arriving in Bkk in early August.  I am currently living in Canada and have heard there might be concern in Thailand regarding Canadians and SARS.  The suggestion to me has been that there might possibly be a quaranteen situation for anyone arriving from Canada.

Does anyone know what the situation is?  What can I expect upon arrival?  There is a possibility of actually departing from a US airport... would that make a difference or would my Canadian passport give me away?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

I last flew in to Don Muang last April during the peak of SARS. At that point all planes from Hongkong, China, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Canada etc where being sent to a single disembarkation gate. From what I could see everyone was being checked for temperature and symptoms and given face masks that they had to wear for the remainder of their stay. Planes from other destinations were treated as normal. I do not know if this is still the current situation, has Canada been given an all clear yet? This could make the difference. Suggest you give Thai Airways in Canada a call and ask them - pretend you are going to buy ther ticket from them if you are not, and are seeking info before going.  ::o:

Wolf,

That's a great suggestion about getting in touch with Thai Airways... I'll try that.  I know that Canada has indeed been given the all clear from the WHO, but we all know that doesn't prevent irrational thought or behaviour.  

In fact, Toronto is the only place in the country where there is (or has been) a problem but if you believed the international press the entire country should be held at arms length.  Given the sheer size of Canada that would be like quarenteening all of Europe because something happened in the UK.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.