Platinum Mastercard Free Travel Insurance

jingjoe

I pay for my travel with Platinum m/c because it boasts "generous" and "free" travel insurance as a reward. For years I have relied on this fact, in case of an emergency.

I'm about to set off again in a week, and took time to read through the free policy fine print (underwritten by Zurich), which states;

"We do not insure you for any event that is caused by or arises from:" - any act of terrorism.

What's the fkn point of offering travel insurance these days without cover for such an unlikely event? Except to deceive the customers they claim to value so highly? :o

I pay for my travel with Platinum m/c because it boasts "generous" and "free" travel insurance as a reward. For years I have relied on this fact, in case of an emergency.

I'm about to set off again in a week, and took time to read through the free policy fine print (underwritten by Zurich), which states;

"We do not insure you for any event that is caused by or arises from:" - any act of terrorism.

What's the fkn point of offering travel insurance these days without cover for such an unlikely event? Except to deceive the customers they claim to value so highly? :o

Hi

I gave up with my Natwest gold card coverage when they excluded Medical Expenses :D

It certainly pays to read the small print.

TBWG :D

Visa Platinum card offers free travel insurance if you book and pay for your travel using their card. Once again, underwritten by Zurich.

The point I was concerned about is they do NOT cover 'pre-existing medical conditions.'

In my case, I have had two heart attacks (both in Australia) - but if I need to be flkown back to Australia for treatment for a 'heart-related condition' it will not be covered.

Conclusion: Pay for your travel using your Platinum Visa or MasterCard, but take out secondary Travel Insurance. Shop around before you sign on the dotted line - there's quite a variation in price. Don't necessarily take the Travel Insurance offered by your travel agent. They get a kick-back from selling it to you.

Peter

Visa Platinum card offers free travel insurance if you book and pay for your travel using their card. Once again, underwritten by Zurich.

The point I was concerned about is they do NOT cover 'pre-existing medical conditions.'

In my case, I have had two heart attacks (both in Australia) - but if I need to be flkown back to Australia for treatment for a 'heart-related condition' it will not be covered.

Conclusion: Pay for your travel using your Platinum Visa or MasterCard, but take out secondary Travel Insurance. Shop around before you sign on the dotted line - there's quite a variation in price. Don't necessarily take the Travel Insurance offered by your travel agent. They get a kick-back from selling it to you.

Peter

yep - 40% to 50%. nice perk.

we've used Atlas a few times $75 for 6 months global

Conclusion: Pay for your travel using your Platinum Visa or MasterCard, but take out secondary Travel Insurance.

Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

It's not like you can double dip and make both policies pay up right???

Some years ago I made use of free travel insurance with a Royal Bank of Scotland Goldcard, and even claimed successfully for damaged baggage at one point. This policy included medical insurance up to about a million. Unfortunately this benefit was terminated, and all the other UK cards I have found since only offer free travel accident insurance. I've been buying my travel insurance since then, but am interested to see what offers are available. Which - if any - provider of a Platinum Visa or Mastercard in the UK currently offers free travel insurance applicable to Thailand?

Edited by citizen33

Starting many years ago, I had the Amex Gold Card for business travellers, then the Platinum, then the Centurian card. These all came with hefty fees, the cheapest being about GBP200pa and the Centurian topping out at about GBP600 per year.

They all had god to very impressive travel insurance but make no mistake, you were paying for it. I dumped the Centurian when I came to live in LOS.

Of the other 20+ cards I had at any time, some gave this or gaev that but they constantly changed and in the end, Amex proved the best. You could get a cheaper policy but the cards had other benefits as well.

If I am right, you have a problem in law to claim under a contract where you have not made a payment, given any consideration is the key term I believe.

I am a believer that any insurance product should be taken out with a companyt which has something to lose if they fail to pay out and you sue them. XYZ insure and go from the internet at GBP20 for annual cover is hardly going to worry about you as they have nothing, no brand name, to lose.

IN the Uk the writing is on the wall it seems for free banking and offers except for the middle class and upwards. Strange that as the actual costs of processing a transaction have gone down and decline each year with technology.

I used to use my Barclays 'Additions Account' until I phoned them about travel to Thailand after having stents fitted to my heart valves last year. Not covered :o Extra cost £60.

Also not covered were several other pre existing conditions, so, I dropped the Additions account and saved myself £16 a month. There were other benefits like :- Free car breakdown, travel insurance, free overdraft, will writing etc., but none of these were any use to me as I drive in Thailand and not the UK and do not require a free overdaft and the rest..

This money saved is more than adequate to cover travel insurance bought on line :D