Car Accidents

onnut

Would you stop to help a broken down car in the middle of nowhere at midnight?

Actually my wife said I was stupid to have done that. I disagree. I know it could be dangerous but it wasn't. I guess it depends on your ability to recognise dangerous people, maybe how streetwise you are. Maybe your age and ability to defend yourself come into it too.

Edited by Neeranam

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always find these Thai urban myths interesting. However, this one is a concern if the Thai's themselves ever start behaving the same way. If you will not stop and help anyone because this is " Thailand ", prey to which ever God you follow, that if ever you get in an accident, the locals don't feel the same way. It maybe weeks before another Farang passes by.

I always find these Thai urban myths interesting. However, this one is a concern if the Thai's themselves ever start behaving the same way. If you will not stop and help anyone because this is " Thailand ", prey to which ever God you follow, that if ever you get in an accident, the locals don't feel the same way. It maybe weeks before another Farang passes by.

Judging by the responses on this and similar threads, I think your chances of a Thai stopping to help would be greater than a farang.

Well those mentioned guys on pick-ups, who tend to show up @ the scenes of accidents, are Potektung, or similar volunteers, who earn merit, by patrolling the different areas, and assist the accident victims, they r mostly all right , and they do what they do much faster, than any ambulance would, just wonder how do they always know about where & when accident happens, coz usually they get there within 10 min, esp. @ nite

The guys who turned up at the accident I stopped for were just regular guys - shocking to think regular Thai guys would help someone they don't know and not rip off a Farang at the scene... I'm deeply disappointed.

maybe they were khmer, or lao perhaps, or burmese.... :o

Actually my wife said I was stupid to have done that. I disagree. I know it could be dangerous but it wasn't. I guess it depends on your ability to recognise dangerous people, maybe how streetwise you are. Maybe your age and ability to defend yourself come into it too.

Your "ability to recognize dangerous people" at midnight. In the middle of nowhere....? :o

Your wife was right.

There have been muggings at night and at least one murder that I know of on the motorway. Car taps yours gently, pull over, get mugged. One Japanese tourist was found riddled with bullets about two years ago.

The urban legend is that there is police presence on the roads, especially at night. :o

I've stopped to help at an accident scene a few times before. The offer to help was usually politely rebutted by the existing people at the scene, and the injured persons (usually, a young kid knocked off his bike) were lifted into the back of a pickup (as is the norm) and driven off. :o

I've been involved in a couple of minor accidents myself and was assisted enormously by passing Thai motorists, who just wanted to help. :D

Depends on your Thai language skills; and if you can keep calm during scenes of trauma and agitated people. If not, you might be advised to take a back seat.

Agreed.

It is important that you understand your surroundings. If you don't know what is going on around you might get yourself into danger. There might be a lot of angry people around. Also if you are sure you know what the right thing it is to do, say like if you are a paramedic. One most important thing is (for me) if you are the only person there to help. If I was I will certainly help. If there are other people there I will leave it alone.

My wife as a former police officer has explained to me that if you do stop people believe that you feel responsible :o Logic does work in another way here. One fine example I have experienced was when I dropped of the kid at school. A (Thai) driver comes speeding through the area, over the zebra crossing, a mother hit her older kid for not looking after the younger kid who wanted to cross the road without paying attention. In my home country that driver would be in serious trouble, in Thailand the kid gets slapped!

It would be nice if the people here who find all kinds of reasons not to help someone who has been hurt would place a bumper sticker on their vehicle reading, "I Don't Stop to Help." That way if we see a wreck sporting that sticker we can pass it by without any remorse.

Although slightly different tack, couple uni students crashed head on outside a restaurant I happened to be eating at in Chiang Mai. Nothing serious but I went out and helped them up along with their bikes, to the consternation of the restaurateur :o . This is a fairly busy, inner-city junction with traffic coming in left, right n centre. In certain circumstances I guess it doesn't pay to get involved but I'll be dam[n]ed if I'll watch someone suffer on the deck... especially when it happens to be a couple black n whites :D

TAs in a city and in rural areas are something different. I will definitely help in BKK if I can.

Well this is something very difficult. Would you stop if you saw 4 or 5 dodgy looking guys next to the car? :o

In China, a lot of people get robbed or even killed for stopping. I will run over anyone in my way if it was me. But it is China I am talking about. Not sure what I will do if in Thailand.

My wife as a former police officer has explained to me that if you do stop people believe that you feel responsible :o Logic does work in another way here. One fine example I have experienced was when I dropped of the kid at school. A (Thai) driver comes speeding through the area, over the zebra crossing, a mother hit her older kid for not looking after the younger kid who wanted to cross the road without paying attention. In my home country that driver would be in serious trouble, in Thailand the kid gets slapped!

This is a good point. Zebra crossings (and other road adornments) exist here as a decoration only, that someone has lifted wholesale from the UK's "Highway Code". (Or a Beatles album). :D

Judging by the responses on this and similar threads, I think your chances of a Thai stopping to help would be greater than a farang.

:o

I really don't blame the farangs who don't stop even if it would be myself involving in the accident. Helping is an easy word to say than being done. It takes guts and the ability to know how to help. A person who feels uneasy about his own situation need not help, IMHO. I used to blame people who don't help though when I was younger and had a more simplistic view about life.

It would be nice if the people here who find all kinds of reasons not to help someone who has been hurt would place a bumper sticker on their vehicle reading, "I Don't Stop to Help." That way if we see a wreck sporting that sticker we can pass it by without any remorse.

Maybe if you have had a bad experience when helping you might change your mind. :o

Even in HK, you are advised to do a hit and run in some rural areas provided you report it to the nearest police station. There are some hooligans in each village ready to have fun beating someone up. And being involved in a TA whether wrong or right is a good enough excuse.

Maybe if you have had a bad experience when helping you might change your mind. :o

Even in HK, you are advised to do a hit and run in some rural areas provided you report it to the nearest police station. There are some hooligans in each village ready to have fun beating someone up. And being involved in a TA whether wrong or right is a good enough excuse.

Sorry mate not true.

Leaving the scene of an accident where someone is injured in HK will lead to a criminal conviction. An accident with no third party and damage only to your car not a problem. likewise damage only where the two parties agree to swap insurance details again no problem.

HK as in Thailand, injured person help.

Sorry mate not true.

Leaving the scene of an accident where someone is injured in HK will lead to a criminal conviction. An accident with no third party and damage only to your car not a problem. likewise damage only where the two parties agree to swap insurance details again no problem.

HK as in Thailand, injured person help.

Well yes, you might risk criminal conviction. But not leaving the scene you risk being beaten up severely. Are you saying that this is not true in areas like Yuen Long? You must have heard of it if you really know about HK? And these are facts, not rumours.

I am sure if you called the police and asked for help. You have a good reason to tell the judge.

Are you an ex-police officer in HK? :D

About 3 months back while on our way back to Ranong from Nakhon Sri Thammerat, we came across the aftermath of an accident. The traffic was stopped as the accident was blocking the road. As I got out of the car, some Thais noticed me and started pointing at the mess "Farang, farang". So I went up, and some of the locals were trying to free him. The steering wheel was stuck on his thighs, and there was quite a bit of blood. Shortly after the police and an ambulance arrived, and he was soon out of the car. His leg was bent at a funny angle at the knee, and he was obviously in a lot of pain. As the sat him in the police pickup, I asked him if he spoke English. By his accent he was English, so I enquired if he needed to call anyone. He was obviously a bit shocked and hadn't thought of that but he then called his wife. He was quite away from home Kamphaeng Phet, and had been to Phuket. He must have been on his way home by way of calling on some friends in Chumphon. I wish I had had the chance to exchange some info with him just so I could see if he was ok. However he spoke good Thai, and he was in good hands so we decided to make our way home. So he just thanked me though all I'd done was to remind him to call his wife.

Should I see the accident taking place I would stop if no one else does. Always have done... (twice). However if the accident has already taken place, without me seeing it, I wouldn't stop.

Yeh i suppose if you did not have the fun of seeing the young child fly through the windscreen and land on the road you should not be expected to stop and offer asistance. :o

This is a good point. Zebra crossings (and other road adornments) exist here as a decoration only, that someone has lifted wholesale from the UK's "Highway Code". (Or a Beatles album). :D

This is not your home country and road markings don't always mean the same as they do where you come from. A zebra crossing for instance in Thailand does not mean that vehicles have to stop for pedestrians wanting to cross the road, it simply means pedestrians are alowed to cross there and wont be fined for doing so.

Stop at an accident, here, Thailand? Are you mad? I don't want to be the one who gets blamed, as that is the mentality and money talks. Life is cheap here, and we've all seen how little regard for safety there is in all modes of transport. Maybe in another 200 years they will have some sort of idea with regard to law and order and safety. I have seen a few real bad smashes, the last one some women crossed the road and bang, she was up in the air like a rag doll, her head smashed open and brains accross the road right before my eyes. I admit I stood there gobsmacked with 100 thais looking on open mouthed, human nature and accidents happen (more so here) :o

For those farangs who feel it is too dangerous to stop and render assistance, etc.: Why on earth do you live in a place you find so frightening? From reading some of the posts here you would think they were talking about Afghanistan or Iraq for God's sake. I have never seen as many ninny's as I have on this site. OK, I haven't seen them, but I have read their posts. Perhaps they are posted here by their company or government and decided the money was worth the risk or something? I hope they are getting danger pay if that is the case.

Edited by qualtrough

Surely some of you in earlier times did First Aid Training,it is a requisite of many occupations in Western countries. Even with rudimentary training you would know more than an average Thai.

I think it would be criminal to drive by an accident when your knowledge of applying CPR or checking for airway blockages or stopping bleeding may result in a life saved.

Judging by the predominance of self confessed "drive on by advocates" posting here, I hope its a Thai person who finds me if I have a big one and not a farang nancy boy.

This is an interesting thread.

I would not stop to render assistance unless I thought that I could actually be of some use.

One of the first rules of "First Aid" is DABC, where D means "Danger". By stopping at an accident, you could be putting yourself in danger (one way or the other). How can you help someone if you, yourself, are broken? This, therefore, is a personal choice & not something that the "moral high court" needs to decide. Do you really want to end up a casualty just because you feel guilty about not assisting? If this is the case, I would suggest that feelings are clouding your judgement.

Also, what if you stopped at an accident where a farang has been injured? If, by your actions, the farang sustained worse injuries, would he/she try to sue you? What happens in this scenario?

In Australia, anybody who stops to assist at the scene of a motor vehicle accident, is covered by the "Good Samaritan" Act & cannot be prosecuted as a result of their actions. Does Thailand have such a law?

I remember hearing that a lot of physicians might avoid treating people outside their normal working hours. Maybe for fearing that they might get sued for making any wrong decisions. Say for example on a plane. Not sure if this is true?

yes and i have ,and never had a problem ,only thanks ,but then im well known here ,,,,,

Quote}

In Australia, anybody who stops to assist at the scene of a motor vehicle accident, is covered by the "Good Samaritan" Act & cannot be prosecuted as a result of their actions. Does Thailand have such a law?

I think you will find that the Good Samaritan Act states unless the actions of the assistance provider are grossly negligent. If that is found to be the case you can be in deep poo.

Quote}

I think you will find that the Good Samaritan Act states unless the actions of the assistance provider are grossly negligent. If that is found to be the case you can be in deep poo.

I guess it's all down to the definition of "grossly negligent", isn't it. But in any case, does Thailand have such a thing like the "Good Samaritans Act"?

I remember many years back in the UK. The taproom advice would be, if you witness an accident, keep driving. The hassle you get from the insurance companies/police ain't worth the trouble. Having said that these days in the UK the police only turn up in cases of injury.

I am 100% with Elkangorito here.

Sorry but if you've just seen someone get there brain scattered across the road there ain't much you can do - well unless you have a shovel in the boot!

I've been in an RTA in London - well I was the RTA thanks to a <deleted> in a minibus pulling out in front of me on my bike. I lost the front end trying to stop got thrown from the bike, the bike skidded down the road and into the minibus - I fortunately rolled to a halt half under the side of the bus.

This was at rush hour on a busy road with nose to nose traffic - did anyone get out (they were already stopped in traffic!) and assist? Did they ######! With my freshly torn ligament in my leg I struggled to my feet and dragged my bike (ZX7R - not the lightest thing in the world!) to the side of the road.

Nobody offered any assistance, nothing - I called my emergency insurance number and sat by the side of the road waiting for van to come to get me and the bike. The queue of traffic behind just waited until the mess was gone and went. The only person who even bothered to ask if I was ok was a passenger on the minibus that had pulled out in front of me. No one behind me even offered to be a witness to the accident! I was in shock for about a few hours it had been the case of me looking where on the bus I should impact best for my survival, if I hadn't of been thrown from the bike I'd probably of been dead - the bike went straight into the front wheel. I sat waiting at the side of the road with people just gawking at me for about an hour. By this time the adrenaline had subsided and the sheer agony of my leg kicked in, I though I might of broken my knee cap or something.

This was in my own country no one did squat .. .. so I'd need a real good reason as to why I should stop in a country where I am not local, not totally fluent in the language and I have no real First aid ability.

Edited by technocracy