Penang Hotel Suggestions?

Hello out somewhere...

Going to Penang in a week or two..visa run and first to penang. Me, my wife and child, so trying to keep it reasonable. And might you ask do I consider reasonable? minimal rats, seven-eleven, and close proximity to the embassy. Thanks...Jack

Hello out somewhere...

Going to Penang in a week or two..visa run and first to penang. Me, my wife and child, so trying to keep it reasonable. And might you ask do I consider reasonable? minimal rats, seven-eleven, and close proximity to the embassy. Thanks...Jack

add on: any hotels with wifi?

the best value hotels are on / around love lane in central Georgetown. The Love Lane Inn has what could be described as a family room with a double bed and single bunk overhead. The prices / facilities are reasonable . The downside is that the love lane area of Georgetown is pretty far from the Thai consulate - there is no accomodation that i know of over there. However, enterprising young Jimmy , the owner of the Love Lane Inn will get your visa sorted out for you to save you the journey. I've been going there for years.

Hello,

i stayed at the bayview georgetown last week, not the cheapest option, but you can book it online cheaper than the walk in rates. I was happy with it. Its very central, close to many thing in georgetown.

i paid 127 ringit, booked it online. I beleive walk in rate is aroung 160.

regards

Timo

Penang is hotter than hel_l and lots of asphalt to reelct th heat back at you.

If you're going that far make a bit of a holiday out of it.

Take the black bus out to Batu Ferringhi, nice beach and lots of hotels/guesthouses at all price ranges.

Whenever I'm in Penang, I always stay at the Northham which is right in the heart of Georgetown. Spas in every room and beautiful pool facilities. If you shop around, you can get some sharp rates at this hotel. From memory, I paid around 150-175RM/night on my last visit.

Hello,

i stayed at the bayview georgetown last week, not the cheapest option, but you can book it online cheaper than the walk in rates. I was happy with it. Its very central, close to many thing in georgetown.

regards

Timo

I've noticed in this forum that a lot of you are wayyyy out of date on your hotel rates. City Bayview now is 204 ringgets or $68 and those are the facts. I dont wanna know what the walk in rate is now. http://directrooms.com/malaysia/hotels/bay...penang-2048.htm

Cititel is just even worse with a rate of 238 ringgets for stays from Oct 12 forward.

http://directrooms.com/malaysia/hotels/cit...g-835.htm#rates

These rates are for the dirt cheapest rooms which frequently are booked, the next cheapest rooms are 15% higher. I get the feeling by reading the rates people post in this forum that they stayed at these hotels looooooong ago. I stay in them quarterly so I am on top of current rates and the skyrocketing jackups they have engaged in the past year or 2

I did say that Cititel at MYR 125 (discounted from 250 on their website) was fair but not above 150 or so. I think they have cottoned on to this visa thing as why the heck else would you want to go to Penang ?

Then again, if you can get an "o" visa, you are looking at the cost of the Penang hotel divided by about 450 days ! (5*90) Hardly worth sleeping on the streets for is it ?

I did say that Cititel at MYR 125 (discounted from 250 on their website) was fair but not above 150 or so. I think they have cottoned on to this visa thing as why the heck else would you want to go to Penang ?

It's very unlikely you'll get anything near that rate now. I was looking a month in advance and the absolute best I could find at the Cititel was 165 per night.

It's unlikely you'll get anything near that price if booking 1 or 2 weeks ahead.

With the number of people doing visa runs to Penang now it's not hard to understand why prices are going up.

I wouldn't take any notice of any previous prices posted for any hotel more than a year ago.

We now live in Penang but on early visits to spy out the land we as a family booked a hotel and flight deal through Air Asia and stayed out at Batu Ferengi ..not great of the visa side of things as a little out of town but great for family ,beaches and tourist stuff ...Check out Air Asia wesaved a packet on the deal and had two good week end trips before moving here .

Hello,

regards

Timo

I've noticed in this forum that a lot of you are wayyyy out of date on your hotel rates. City Bayview now is 204 ringgets or $68 and those are the facts. I dont wanna know what the walk in rate is now. http://directrooms.com/malaysia/hotels/bay...penang-2048.htm

Cititel is just even worse with a rate of 238 ringgets for stays from Oct 12 forward.

http://directrooms.com/malaysia/hotels/cit...g-835.htm#rates

These rates are for the dirt cheapest rooms which frequently are booked, the next cheapest rooms are 15% higher. I get the feeling by reading the rates people post in this forum that they stayed at these hotels looooooong ago. I stay in them quarterly so I am on top of current rates and the skyrocketing jackups they have engaged in the past year or 2

as i said, i stayed there last week, and i did pay 127 ringit for a standard room, walk in for that one was around 160. Deluxe was 175.

so i was not there loooong ago, but last week.

regards

Timo

Hello all,

the secret for me is to book hotels always from one of the big travel companies in my home country, in my case germany. They always have cheaper rates, as they buy bulk rooms for the season. I am living in Thailand, but even for my holidays here, i go through the big companies in germany to find extremely cheaper prices.

this time i went through http://www.holidaycheck.de/, 10 days ago they offered a standard room at the bayview for 27 euros, today its 37 for a superior, so its a daily search for the best deals, but overall always worth to look and book from your home country.

regards

Timo

Edited by timonase

Hello all,

the secret for me is to book hotels always from one of the big travel companies in my home country, in my case germany. They always have cheaper rates, as they buy bulk rooms for the season. I am living in Thailand, but even for my holidays here, i go through the big companies in germany to find extremely cheaper prices.

this time i went through http://www.holidaycheck.de/, 10 days ago they offered a standard room at the bayview for 27 euros, today its 37 for a superior, so its a daily search for the best deals, but overall always worth to look and book from your home country.

regards

Timo

Well, my guess is that the layman bookee on the street would not be able to figure out how to get such a rate

On 24 August 2007 I stayed at Sunway Georgetown (195MYR) internet use (free) connection was in the restaurant/bar downstairs not in the room itself. Had to have your own laptop. Noisy at night from the karaoke bar next door. Staff pleasant, busy, family hotel. Also stayed at Holiday Inn resort a couple of nights (379MYR) very nice room clean etc and view over the ocean. Internet connection in room, not good, supposedly free for the first 24hrs but couldnt even log on for two? Both of these hotel rates not cheap but I was lucky to get accommodation anywhere as it was during Merduka Festival. A good reliable, safe, taxi driver I can recommend is Mr Lim 016-4533682. Have fun!

the best value hotels are on / around love lane in central Georgetown. The Love Lane Inn has what could be described as a family room with a double bed and single bunk overhead. The prices / facilities are reasonable . The downside is that the love lane area of Georgetown is pretty far from the Thai consulate - there is no accomodation that i know of over there. However, enterprising young Jimmy , the owner of the Love Lane Inn will get your visa sorted out for you to save you the journey. I've been going there for years.

Thanks for that Ray!

So If I tell taxi driver to take me to LL Inn

try a walk in,and also ask Mr. Jimmy to do visa for me

everything = solved? (hotel and visa in one go) Flying there this Monday AM

cheers,

mel

stick with NJ Books Mel. they do this a thousand times a month and are experts. These jack-of-all-trades hotel guys I would not bother with

thx Professor!

I'm leaning toward NJ books. You think airport taxi guys know how to get

to NJ Books? I'm going this mon. arriving 10:05 Should I find a hotel first

or go directly to NJ? I am staying til Thur.so should have time.

Any suggestions for decent non cockroach/backpack/loud partiers?

thx,

PS ######,I miss Gilligans Island and good old shows like that.

After bein in LOS nearly 2 yrs you start to miss that.Especially

when most local TV is...well...you know (screaming chickens come to mind)

stick with NJ Books Mel. they do this a thousand times a month and are experts. These jack-of-all-trades hotel guys I would not bother with

thx Professor!

I'm leaning toward NJ books. You think airport taxi guys know how to get

to NJ Books? I'm going this mon. arriving 10:05 Should I find a hotel first

or go directly to NJ? I am staying til Thur.so should have time.

Any suggestions for decent non cockroach/backpack/loud partiers?

thx,

PS ######,I miss Gilligans Island and good old shows like that.

After bein in LOS nearly 2 yrs you start to miss that.Especially

when most local TV is...well...you know (screaming chickens come to mind)

Mel, no no no do not get a hotel first (no time for that yet, you gotta turn in passport 1st), it's straight to NJ Books for you pal. You will be set free after turning in that passport. you'll have all the time in the world to grab your hotel after that and a huge load will be off your mind knowing your visa is coming the next day at 2:30 pm. Please report back how the hotel thing went. I am sure you will have no problems on the main road at either the Continental or the other mid pricer on the way (I forget the name). you wont be paying over 1000 baht at either place

Edited by The Professor

Thanks...will do. Also thanks Tropo.I will report back after this maiden voyage

to PEN.Am considering Laos for next TV too (if LOS will still have us under 50's w/no wife,

no gazillion in Thai bank,no monthly government funds from USA,but SPEND my savings

into the economy types)...oh..add polite,respectful,never fight in bar,don't do yaba,etc. etc.

....or maybe it's almost time for..."Good Morning Vietnam!"

Just returned from Penang.Everything went smooth.NJ Books is at front of Swiss Hotel.The guy was very polite,helped me fill out app. quickly,and rushed it to consulate by moto courier.My passport was back next afternoon by 3 with new TV.This was my first trip to Penang,and I found the people from immigration on down to be friendly and the infrastucture better than LOS.Not too much in the "fun" dept,though I still had some (thanks to an informed local who saw me walk in to an all Japanese joint,and then walk straight out again) he rickshaw-taxi'd me to this place and back.Nice those rickshaws on a balmy night through the city streets! I stayed for 3 days to be sure of no hassles or delays,but there were none...also,the immigration officers smiled and welcomed me to Malaysia..wOW !! talk about night and day difference! Got a great room at the Cititel..16th floor corner room with incredible view! All in all a pleasant stay.Locals didn't seem as happy go lucky as Thais,but they were friendly,and didn't give that sourpuss face look and the "HUH?" when asking a question or ordering food. Food by the way...GOOD!

add on: any hotels with wifi?

i have two recommendations:

1) in Georgetown, on the street that runs behind the old movie theater (Jalan Argyll), is the Hotel Mingood. decent rooms for cheap, with wifi and a very nice staff.

2) on Gurney Drive, more expensive but totally worth it- Evergreen Laurel Hotel. has wifi in room, near to a Starbucks and 7-11, lots of good food nearby as well as Gurney Plaza.

In my experience Georgetown hotel accommodation can be easily split into either of two categories. The lower end, generally favoured by those visa running on a budget, costs on average no more than 100 ringgit but the facilities are spartan, generally shabby and noise pollution could be an unwelcome intrusion. Western breakfasts are a travesty. In these establishments one will probably be asked to pay the account in advance including a deposit. The best of this type are I think the Hotel Malaysia and its neighbour the Continental on Jalan Penang. Chulia St. type "hotels " are for backpackers and the impoverished, presumably driven there by desperation.

The other category is simply everything else which now probably costs a minimum of 260 ringgit although promotions and out of season rates may get you a night at a substantial discount. The City Bayview offers the best value and has the edge over Cititel whose basic rooms are small and unworthy of an ambitious tariff.

The best option is the E & O which offers tremendous value given that the facilities and service are infinitely better than its nearest competitor but costing only twice the price or thereabouts. A veritable bargain with the best breakfast in town. The chances of running into a slapheaded, tattooed, lumpen oaf are also delightfully remote since the management there seem to operate a policy excluding such untermensch.

Batu Ferringi is a pleasant alternative but the E & O's sister hotel, the Lone Pine, should be avoided on the grounds that it attempts to cash in on the alleged connection but offers none of the cache justifying their tariff. The Holiday Inn is perhaps the best option here and with some preliminary dickering a discount can usually be secured.

Chulia St. type "hotels " are for backpackers and the impoverished, presumably driven there by desperation.

The best option is the E & O which offers tremendous value given that the facilities and service are infinitely better than its nearest competitor but costing only twice the price or thereabouts.

Surely you've offered this post as bait?

It must have skipped your attention that this is a visa forum where people get information about what to do and where to stay on visa runs. Your hotel advice would be more suited to a "holiday forum".

Most people who go to Penang go there to get visas and for many it is a necessary trip 2 or more times per year. It is not a vacation and keeping the costs low is important for a yearly visa-run budget.

Personally I pay for 2 (My GF also requires TV's), therefore even if I keep my accommodation costs modest, my yearly visa-run costs run over $1,800 per year. Although I'm not impoverished, I can do without spending 2 - 5 thousand baht per night for accommodation in Penang.

You should count yourself amongst the fortunate in that money is no object for you and you're able to stay in the best 5 star hotels on your visa runs. Do you take special limousines to and from the airport?

Lacking perspective could be the trademark for some on this forum it seems.

I rather thought my post would be helpful to those anticipating a visa run who may wish to balance comfort with economy but evidently I have neglected to take into account the essential blue collar nature of some who populate the board.

Frankly, I didn't think the expenditure of 80GBP, the cost of a decent meal for two in London, Hong Kong, Sydney or anywhere for that matter, upon a night's accommodation in one of the world's last remaining truly characterful hotels to be either particularly extravagant or indeed ostentatious.

I do not have the luxury of wealth beyond the dreams of Croesus but such riches, I would suggest, are not required to take advantage of a bargain when the opportunity presents itself.

Value for money is not necessarily opting for the cheapest but for those who are consigned to subsisting on the "penny wise" budget, then doubtless Chulia Street will fit the bill admirably.