Visa Exemption

I'm British, 45 years old.

I have a flight booked to Bangkok next month, I intend to arrive on a visa exemption.

From Bangkok I intend to travel to Cambodia by road and sea.

I'm aware that one of the requirements to receive a visa exemption is a fully paid flight ticket out of Thailand, within 30 days of entry.

I've also heard that this requirement is rarely checked.

I'm considering arriving without an onward flight ticket, and hoping for the best. If I'm refused the visa exemption, I'm hoping I would then be given the opportunity of booking a flight out of Thailand, by internet from the airport, rather than be refused entry.

For information, the carrier taking me to Bangkok hasn't stipulated that I need onward travel. I'm also prepared to buy a ticket out of Thailand at the aiport of origin, should I be refused at this stage.

Does this sound feasible? Am I inviting a whole load of trouble by doing this? Would I be better biting the bullet and buying a ticket out of Thailand that I won't use?

All views welcomed, thanks in advance.

Hiya,

What are your plans upon arriving in BKK? Do you intend to stay for awhile and then make your way to Cambodia and then go back to England from there? Getting an open ticket might be a good idea.

I don't remember having customs ask for my return ticket at Suvi airport but when I went to Cambodia after my 30 days were up (also on visa exemption), they made it very clear that I am to produce a return ticket before they would issue me another 30 days and accepted none of my reasons. Even the fact that mine was an e-ticket and no one said that I needed to show my return ticket, not even the organizer whom I paid good money to. :o

I had to go through the most frightening time of my life (also coz I'm quite the scaredy cat and travelling alone and first time attempting a visa run and doing it all at the last possible minute) at the border of Cambodia and went through the whole circus of trying to search for an internet cafe on a motorcycle with seat that I swear I couldn't sit on because it was bloody scorching, so the whole time I was half-standing, hanging on for dear life and sanity.

I think others will have a better idea of what your safest option would be.

I have a flight booked to Bangkok next month, I intend to arrive on a visa exemption.

I'm aware that one of the requirements to receive a visa exemption is a fully paid flight ticket out of Thailand, within 30 days of entry.

I'm considering arriving without an onward flight ticket, and hoping for the best. If I'm refused the visa exemption, I'm hoping I would then be given the opportunity of booking a flight out of Thailand, by internet from the airport, rather than be refused entry.

For information, the carrier taking me to Bangkok hasn't stipulated that I need onward travel. I'm also prepared to buy a ticket out of Thailand at the aiport of origin, should I be refused at this stage.

Does this sound feasible? Am I inviting a whole load of trouble by doing this? Would I be better biting the bullet and buying a ticket out of Thailand that I won't use?

Oh dear, I can just picture that motocycle whizzing around! I bet there were no intenet cafes in the area, or they were all closed, or the local server had gone down eh?

I've been in India for 4 months now, I've had several days like that, it's part of the fun of travelling!

To answer your question; I'm spending a year travelling around Asia, I'm heading to Vietnam after Cambodia.

Cheers!

Hiya,

What are your plans upon arriving in BKK? Do you intend to stay for awhile and then make your way to Cambodia and then go back to England from there? Getting an open ticket might be a good idea.

I don't remember having customs ask for my return ticket at Suvi airport but when I went to Cambodia after my 30 days were up (also on visa exemption), they made it very clear that I am to produce a return ticket before they would issue me another 30 days and accepted none of my reasons. Even the fact that mine was an e-ticket and no one said that I needed to show my return ticket, not even the organizer whom I paid good money to. :o

I had to go through the most frightening time of my life (also coz I'm quite the scaredy cat and travelling alone and first time attempting a visa run and doing it all at the last possible minute) at the border of Cambodia and went through the whole circus of trying to search for an internet cafe on a motorcycle with seat that I swear I couldn't sit on because it was bloody scorching, so the whole time I was half-standing, hanging on for dear life and sanity.

I think others will have a better idea of what your safest option would be.

Yea, you're absolutely right! The cafe was found after some frantic searching and when eventually found one, it took forever and a half just to load a page....so you can imagine.

Oh so you'll be travelling from India to BKK....and the Indian customs didn't ask you for an onward ticket? Maybe the Thai one wouldn't either but I'm really not sure on that. 4 months is a long time. I can barely cope with the heat in Thailand or Singapore, my mind just can't grasp the intensity of the one in India. :o It must be really searing huh.

The good folks of TV must surely know the answers you need. :D They posses mucho knowledge and experience. I'm really just a fledgling. :D

I've been doing visa runs on the maesai-tachilek borders , never got asked for an onward ticket before.

However when i am going Bangkok from Singapore (hometown), i was asked by the ticketing office to show them a return ticket, which i don't have.. so i just told them i had one but it's an e-ticket and the ref/booking number is in my email.

they are cool with that although they told me it's better to have it printed out, what's next? hello bangkok! haha

Edited by jetzie

I've been doing visa runs on the maesai-tachilek borders , never got asked for an onward ticket before.

However when i am going Bangkok from Singapore (hometown), i was asked by the ticketing office to show them a return ticket, which i don't have.. so i just told them i had one but it's an e-ticket and the ref/booking number is in my email.

they are cool with that although they told me it's better to have it printed out, what's next? hello bangkok! haha

Oy, you're leaving for bkk soon? I know I can count on you to suss out cheap tix. lf you care, you share! Let me know!

I doubt that you would have a problem at BKK airport. You may have a problem getting on the plane in India. I travel around asia, stopping in BKK each month or so. Used to be the airlines never asked for a return ticket. Now they all ask to see my ticket out. So they seem to be pressing all the airlines to do this. Your airline might not stipulate this up front, but when you go to check in, they may require you to have it. Definately leave plenty of time when checking in, incase you have to go to an internet cafe and book an outgoing flight.

Is it possible for the proof of ongoing travel to be a bus ticket?

I'm planning to fly to Burma assuming things settle down there soon, and I have no hopes of getting a TV there (anyone feel free to contradict me on that!)

So when I return to Bangkok, I will be arriving wanting a visa exempt 30 days. I plan to make a run to the border at the end of those 30 days, so I don't want to buy a plane ticket.

Could I buy a bus ticket that far in advance and would anyone (at the airport in Yangon I don't think they would check it, so I'm thinking of in BKK airport) accept that as proof of ongoing travel?

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me.

Has to be a flight and Indian Air would not let me even book a one way ticket without either a visa or proof of onward air ticket let alone board..

I find I am consistently asked for the return air or visa when travelling.. I dont know what airlines the guys who dont get asked fly on but its always the same for me, no visa no boarding.

One option is to buy a cheapie ticket on Air Asia and just don't use it.

A more economical alternative may be to purchase a full fare fully refundable ticket on a mainline carrier like Thai Airways. But, note that the refund to your credit card might take a month or two, and you will lose any travel agency fees.

Has to be a flight and Indian Air would not let me even book a one way ticket without either a visa or proof of onward air ticket let alone board..

I find I am consistently asked for the return air or visa when travelling.. I dont know what airlines the guys who dont get asked fly on but its always the same for me, no visa no boarding.

What about land crossings? When I renew (extend?) my non imm O visa soon at Ranong, will they ask for evidence of onward journey? There must be thousands of backpackers travelling through Thailand and SE Asia without onward tickets?

At airports, I got asked for it at KL, but not Singers. I just told the KL guy it was an e-ticket and he said no problems.