School's Out, And So Is The Internet

heybruce

I flew back home to the US. My 5mb cable connection rocks. I live in an older area so NO ONE uses the internet. So I get 13mbps download. I am loving the 800-1200kbps torrents! I download a 30min HD encoded T.V. Episode in 7 mins!

Why don't you rub it in :o

Hey Sanpatong,

Are you getting that orange screen from TT&T when your service goes out I get it 5-6 times a night now, and I have to reboot computer and take out all the wires and reinsert into router. Major pain in the ass.

lannarebirth, if you have a UPS running around, try plugging in your modem to it. Sometimes its just the power supply being "unstable". my modem reboots every time my A/C compressor runs. a UPS solved it.

Thanks tigerbeer, but I've already got the phone lines running through a UPS.

Here's what I've been experiencing. In the morning and afternoon I get regular but slow internet service. In the evening and well past midnight I get increasingly frequent cutoffs as the might wears on. Around 8:00 I'll need to reboot everything , and it will stay on an hour. Around 9:, the same, but it will only stay on 40 minutes. By one in the morning I have to reboot every 10 minuts or so. Each cutoff is accompanied by a orang TT&T page saying something is in error. I'd have quit them long ago, but I've already had CS Loxinfo and Ipstar which were equally bad.

what about the power supply for the modem? is it running through the UPS as well?

You know, I was just certain the modem power supply was plugged in there too. But when i checked a few hours ago it was not. I've since plugged it in. Now, I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I have thusfar tonighthad no outages and the speed seems faster. That may also be related to me signing up for a backup service with TOT today though. :o

Ooh, for got to say thanks very much. :D

Edited by lannarebirth

I use Jasmine as my ISP to deliver ADSL over a TTT phone line. Rarely have had a problem in 37 months. The catch is that I pay a premium for my business account and I suppose that is why I have steady and reliable service....in Mae Rim nonetheless. My neighbor a few doors away uses TOT and says it is only serviceable for 30 minutes a day--in the very early morning hours. But he pays a fraction of what I do. I guess one gets what they pay for. Has anyone else had similar experiences with JI-net?

Edited by skyman

I use Jasmine as my ISP to deliver ADSL over a TTT phone line. Rarely have had a problem in 37 months. The catch is that I pay a premium for my business account and I suppose that is why I have steady and reliable service....in Mae Rim nonetheless. My neighbor a few doors away uses TOT and says it is only serviceable for 30 minutes a day--in the very early morning hours. But he pays a fraction of what I do. I guess one gets what they pay for. Has anyone else had similar experiences with JI-net?

I've never heard of Jasmine. Can you expand on what level of service they provide for you and at what charge? How is the dependability and customer service? Is the speed constant no matter the hour or day? TIA

Hey Sanpatong,

Are you getting that orange screen from TT&T when your service goes out I get it 5-6 times a night now, and I have to reboot computer and take out all the wires and reinsert into router. Major pain in the ass.

lannarebirth, if you have a UPS running around, try plugging in your modem to it. Sometimes its just the power supply being "unstable". my modem reboots every time my A/C compressor runs. a UPS solved it.

Here's what I've been experiencing. In the morning and afternoon I get regular but slow internet service. In the evening and well past midnight I get increasingly frequent cutoffs as the might wears on. Around 8:00 I'll need to reboot everything , and it will stay on an hour. Around 9:, the same, but it will only stay on 40 minutes. By one in the morning I have to reboot every 10 minuts or so. Each cutoff is accompanied by a orang TT&T page saying something is in error. I'd have quit them long ago, but I've already had CS Loxinfo and Ipstar which were equally bad.

what about the power supply for the modem? is it running through the UPS as well?

You know, I was just certain the modem power supply was plugged in there too. But when i checked a few hours ago it was not. I've since plugged it in. Now, I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I have thusfar tonighthad no outages and the speed seems faster. That may also be related to me signing up for a backup service with TOT today though. :o

is the connection still ok lannarebirth?

u wont believe the frustration i had to go through just to get the modem and the power part right.

Hey Sanpatong,

u wont believe the frustration i had to go through just to get the modem and the power part right.

Well, it's working right now, but it's already crapped out once tonight.

Another thing is my wireless router is hot all the time. It's got a massive transformer on it and a really weird, heavy duty 3 prong plug, which I have to adapt down to a standard 2 prong groundless plug. Do you think that could be a contributing factor? None of the wall plugs in the house are grounded. When I switch plugs around on the power strip I can feel an electric charge in the air. Jeeeezus!

Hey Sanpatong,

Well, it's working right now, but it's already crapped out once tonight.

Another thing is my wireless router is hot all the time. It's got a massive transformer on it and a really weird, heavy duty 3 prong plug, which I have to adapt down to a standard 2 prong groundless plug. Do you think that could be a contributing factor? None of the wall plugs in the house are grounded. When I switch plugs around on the power strip I can feel an electric charge in the air. Jeeeezus!

as long as it doesn't reset itself often as in every 10 minutes or so, its ok!.

no its not a contributing factor, your hot router. thats just the way it is. my modem gets awfully hot in a span of an hour or so. it is however recommended for you to get an electrician to ground your plugs that run to your computer. its really not a lot of work for them and inexpensive. i used to get shocks when i accidentally touch the steel on the USB hub or the headphones (steel part) when i skype. its horrible. get it grounded as soon as you can.

I've never heard of Jasmine. Can you expand on what level of service they provide for you and at what charge? How is the dependability and customer service? Is the speed constant no matter the hour or day? TIA

Sorry to be late in replying; went to JP on a biz trip. Jasmine, AKA JI-Net, sells me an ADSL package running THB 6K per month that delivers 512/128. Actual speeds are typically 400/100 and are fairly constant. The package is limited to 5 subscribers on my line and I don't believe anyone else has bought into it (especially at that price). But it is always on and always reliable. Maybe we lose connectivity for a few hours a month due to n FO trunk link problem down in the BKK area. I believe that Jasmine operates an office in Panthip Plaza CM.I believe you can get very good deals now at even faster speeds especially if you live inside the Superhighway or in a well-established moobaan. Good luck.