Bangkok Traffic Solution

PadThaiGuy

Then they can walk or ride the bus.

Ha ha, nice one! I think they are so far evolved they don't know how to walk anymore.

But I really liked the Bogota solution. After all, they started with almost zero bicyclists, too....Maybe this is where farangs could come in: setting a trend. I use my bicycle whenever I can, but am severely restricted. We DO have a bicycle way close by, but it comes from nowhere and leads nowhere (along Pradit Manutham for instance. Or downtown you see markings on the footpath - reserved for bicycles. However, the footpaths are so congested it's no use. Say you still could use your bicycle to get to places: where to leave it? There are many things still to be done....

I doubt the Kunyings would like being driven around Silom with their drivers on a bicycle built for two.

Then they start riding on the sidewalk, the driver on the bbf2 carry the baby with no helmet.

When they all pull in at the school across from the British Embassy the queue will be long. Get overcharged at the Esso for putting air in tyres (tires), etc etc etc.

It won´t work in BKK.

.... Say you still could use your bicycle to get to places: where to leave it? There are many things still to be done....

65% of the space in cities is dedicated to cars. Space in a city is by far the most valuable land in any Country and we park cars on it?

2000kg. cars that create danger, heat, pollution, usually have 1 passenger, needing fossil fuels, maintenence and creeping along at 8kph.. That's crazy.

Remove most of the cars and bike parking won't be a problem.

.... Say you still could use your bicycle to get to places: where to leave it? There are many things still to be done....

65% of the space in cities is dedicated to cars. Space in a city is by far the most valuable land in any Country and we park cars on it?

2000kg. cars that create danger, heat, pollution, usually have 1 passenger, needing fossil fuels, maintenence and creeping along at 8kph.. That's crazy.

Remove most of the cars and bike parking won't be a problem.

make taxes and insurance much higher to own a car ,put petrol prices up by 300%for motorists ,that would stop the cars running .

make taxes and insurance much higher to own a car ,put petrol prices up by 300%for motorists ,that would stop the cars running .

The Burmese Junta tried that a couple of weeks ago and look what happened.

Too much money and face at stake for there to be a change in Thailand unfortunately.

It's a disaster waiting to happen. Even the roads out here in Minburi are clogged.

Too many cars on the roads, inadequate infrastructure, rising fuel costs, pollution on the increase etc, etc, etc.

No turning back now.

Thats the problem !

Our only chance is if we can convince the Thai's that it is just as " socially acceptable "

to be seen on a bike than in their gleaming Mercedes :o But it will be an uphill battle.....................

Last week, at a shopping mall not far from Mochit bus terminal, an hour to get there, I saw the parking garage chock full of BMW's, Merc's and Volvo's (half the cars were as mentioned). Status is status.

I have a car here, upcountry, and I get funny looks when I walk to the market. :o

US, Thailand or China, people will rubber heal it only when it's is considered the cool thing to do.

Edited by Upcountry

Why not here?

....because the solution involves bicycles. I don't know many Thai car owners who would switch to bicycle.

12 minute version here:

http://homepage.mac.com/trorb/TOPP/iMovieTheater144.html

Have you ever been to Bogota? It is on a plateau 7,000 above sea level. The daily temperatures of Bogota vs. Bangkok cannot be compared. Where people can comfortably ride in Bogota, there would be nothing comfortable about riding in Bangkok's heat.

Ha ha, nice one! I think they are so far evolved they don't know how to walk anymore.

But I really liked the Bogota solution. After all, they started with almost zero bicyclists, too....Maybe this is where farangs could come in: setting a trend. I use my bicycle whenever I can, but am severely restricted. We DO have a bicycle way close by, but it comes from nowhere and leads nowhere (along Pradit Manutham for instance. Or downtown you see markings on the footpath - reserved for bicycles. However, the footpaths are so congested it's no use. Say you still could use your bicycle to get to places: where to leave it? There are many things still to be done....

Thailand is hot and humid, you get sweat just for walking.

Riding a bicycle it's a total workout, you don't want to see Thais loose anymore weight.

Then you will have more problem with bike theft.

May be they will have bicycles taxi then it will jam up the bike path.

:o:D:D