Best Way To Ship An Office Chair From Los Angeles To Bkk?

bobdotorg

I need to ship my office chair from Los Angeles to Bangkok. It's orthopedic, and I can't find the same brand / model in BKK. I can box it and take it to the port of L.A. / Long Beach myself, but I have no idea where to start looking for a shipper to Thailand.

I'm looking for the least expensive reliable option.

Any specific recommendations?

Any hints on avoiding being gouged by customs?

Thanks,

Bob

P.S. A search of the forums here turned up these posts, but no specifics.

http://www.thaivisa.com/340.0.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...mp;#entry755974

Must be a good, a very good chair! :o

That's what the tax accessor at Customs will be thinking:

THIS GUY MUST REALLY LIKE THIS CHAIR. HOW MUCH CAN I GET AWAY WITH CHARGING ?

Easy answer, don't bring it here! Sit on the floor like Thai's do and you'll save in doctors fees as well.

I need to ship my office chair from Los Angeles to Bangkok. It's orthopedic, and I can't find the same brand / model in BKK. I can box it and take it to the port of L.A. / Long Beach myself, but I have no idea where to start looking for a shipper to Thailand.

I'm looking for the least expensive reliable option.

Any specific recommendations?

Any hints on avoiding being gouged by customs?

Thanks,

Bob

P.S. A search of the forums here turned up these posts, but no specifics.

http://www.thaivisa.com/340.0.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...mp;#entry755974

Sit in it on the plane ! ,dont use DHL or fedex !

Look online for "freight forwarding" or "freight consolidatiors" that ship LCL (less than a container load) to Asia and/or Thailand out of Los Angeles/Long Beach. Email them with the approx. size of the crate in cu. ft. and its weight, destination etc. Some of these firms will have online forms to fill out. You can expect that some or maybe most will not respond as they don't want to bother with a one off shipment. Eventually though you'll have quotes from several companies and then decide on who you want to use.

They may offer customs clearance and delivery here through a Thai branch of their company or refer you to a Thai company that they have a relationship with. As you've probably seen from your searches on thaivisa, everyone has a different experience with customs. I'd try to find a Thai agent who has a good relationship with customs to do the clearance. You could clear it yourself but that might turn out to be an expensive and frustrating bit of education, though some individuals have reported success doing it themselves.

-redwood

Getting a good Office Chair is not easy, i only found one acceptable in the World Trade Center BKK. But still far away from what i had in Germany but almost the same price of 60000 Baht.

For the transport question: Share a container with somebody who is moving to Thailand. Pretty sure there are many poor love buffoon who try to find there luck here and are happy if they can save a few hundert dollars. FedEx and UPS will charge you an extreme price (i had to import a special computer closet from the states once).

OK -- I will share my experience: I wanted to ship a Vibraphone (vibes) from USA to Thailand. Total weight about 100 pounds.

I flew from USA to Thailand (Summer 2004) on United Airlines which allows two 30KG pieces of luggage. I took the large pieces and put them in an over-size but NOT overweight box (actually 4 boxes telescoped and taped together). I paid about $100 for the extra oversize box as a third piece of luggage. Then I put the smaller parts in each of the 2 alloted pieces of baggage.

When I landed at Don Muang I went to the the red Customs channel as the box was very big, showed them a picture of what was in the box, and said it is for my own use and not for re-sale. They waved (waived?) me through.

So if the chair of your dreams can be broken-down into small enough components, this way allows you to bring it through with you... on your next trip back from USA.

post-7565-1192876265_thumb.jpg