Night Club Rip-off

kyb789

I was at Sukhumvit, Soi 22 last night. I went into that bar near the corner with the cool all-female band...If you don't know which one I am talking about, PM me. I rarely go in the first place due to the overly inflated drink prices, but this time is definitely the last.

Every time when you order a drink, they put the bill in a glass next to you... standard practice in Thailand. However, after ordering 4 of the cheapest beers (one at a time), I went to pay my bill and found 600baht, 300baht, 200baht, and 150 baht receipt in my glass.

Now, I can understand an honest mistake. But I would assume that an honest mistake would happen with ONE of the bills....not all of them. Of course they were written in Thai so I could not read them. Fortunatley I was sober enough to catch what was going on.

When I questioned the bill, I put them to the test by saying I had only 3 beers. They quickly corrected me by saying I had 4 (which is correct). So there you go....they knew exactly what I was drinking, and how much. But they had no problem padding my bill and trying to get away with it.

BEWARE

I was at Sukhumvit, Soi 22 last night. I went into that bar near the corner with the cool all-female band...If you don't know which one I am talking about, PM me. I rarely go in the first place due to the overly inflated drink prices, but this time is definitely the last.

Every time when you order a drink, they put the bill in a glass next to you... standard practice in Thailand. However, after ordering 4 of the cheapest beers (one at a time), I went to pay my bill and found 600baht, 300baht, 200baht, and 150 baht receipt in my glass.

Now, I can understand an honest mistake. But I would assume that an honest mistake would happen with ONE of the bills....not all of them. Of course they were written in Thai so I could not read them. Fortunatley I was sober enough to catch what was going on.

When I questioned the bill, I put them to the test by saying I had only 3 beers. They quickly corrected me by saying I had 4 (which is correct). So there you go....they knew exactly what I was drinking, and how much. But they had no problem padding my bill and trying to get away with it.

BEWARE

I have been there once, and once only. The service is <deleted>, the drinks are vastly overpriced and they tried to pad my bill when I was threre as well. How that place is still going, I have no idea? But It's a no, no for me as well.

I thought it might be a running total but the numbers don't add up. The important question, what did you end up paying? :o

Exactly. In the end I paid what I owed them. 600baht. That's 4 beers at 150baht each. If I didn't keep an eye on my tab, I could have lost big time.

Went there once about 6 months ago. The owner I met is a <deleted>.

Funny enuf, met both of the owners - top lads. Even gave me a few vodka shots in the icebar upstairs. :o:D :D :D

I guess they can afford to give a few away for free. :D To be fair, maybe they don't know about it. :bah:

Went once. Ordered either kettle 1 or grey goose with pineapple and cranberry, couldn't taste any vodka (this was my first drink of the night). Told them as much, watched them pour more in straight from the bottle, it just tasted more watered down. Sent it back and asked for some whiskey instead, paid, and left. Not going back again, and the ice bar is quite lame.

Gull on the other hand, I've never had a prob with the bill there as it's all computerized, but mistakes can happen. Seems odd though since if the order was in the computer, a busboy/girl would have brought it out from the kitchen as the computer sends the orders back there. But as you say, always read over the check bin.

Edited by surface

BEWARE

MMMMMM..... now let me think for mmm ONE second.......

your bill 150 your first beer 300 your second ( 2 in total) 450 your third ( 3 x 150 ) and Finally 4 = 600 THB.. I suspect that the only issue was the writing on one of the bills?

MMMMMM..... now let me think for mmm ONE second.......

your bill 150 your first beer 300 your second ( 2 in total) 450 your third ( 3 x 150 ) and Finally 4 = 600 THB.. I suspect that the only issue was the writing on one of the bills?

My thoughts exactly - running total, but someone couldnt add. :o I'm assuming you thought they were going to add those totals together???

Sukhumvit is pretty bad for this sort of thing i.e. padded bills.

In the last year my bill has been deliberately padded at several pubs there.

When you've had a few drinks they think you are game to be cheated. It appears to be very blatant. One of the reasons I don't go out so often now!

If it was a running total, it would be on the same bill, not several seperate ones as stated.

This place was sold earlier this year I believe, so maybe the new owners not doing so well. The old drunk owner, or one of the partners, the drunk one, was asking an outrageous price for the place. So if some sucker paid it, then maybe just trying to reap the rewards back.

If it was not sold, then same owners probably sour and still trying to get the sale price another way.

I liked the female band and vietnemese dress code though.

I've been in there a few times, always a lot of fun. BUT, every time, my friends have had their bins stuffed. I lucked out and just was asked to pay for what I ordered.

BTW, the vodka freezer bar upstairs is really hard to get into when you are behind a party of loaded Japanese.

Is this down the Sukhumvit road end, area of pubs and resteraunts just off the soi etc, someplace near by called Honey something or the other ?

I am trying to place it in my mind, same road as Imperial Queens Park, seem to favour Japanese tourists.

I really should pay more attention, i have eaten, stayed around there and drunk a few too many in that area so many times and dont know the names of any. Alcohol induced senility. Never been turned over though, maybe having a local in tow helps.

Edited by Cobalt60

the original owner has sold the place , he now has one in pattaya just off walking st ( V20 ) and one is nearly completed in Phuket.

Didnt know that, whats the name of the place mate??

In patters go down walking st from beach road , around 50m / 100m on your left theres a small aussie beer bar on the corner of a soi ( forget the name) nice agogo at the end though :o turn into the soi and look up to your left .

In Phuket soi tiger i beleive just off bangla , due to open early nov i think

btw have met the owner breifly and seemed a decent bloke to be fair.

P.s the name is V 2 0

Edited by N47HAN

the original owner has sold the place , he now has one in pattaya just off walking st ( V20 ) and one is nearly completed in Phuket.

Didnt know that, whats the name of the place mate??

In patters go down walking st from beach road , around 50m / 100m on your left theres a small aussie beer bar on the corner of a soi ( forget the name) nice agogo at the end though :o turn into the soi and look up to your left .

In Phuket soi tiger i beleive just off bangla , due to open early nov i think

btw have met the owner breifly and seemed a decent bloke to be fair.

P.s the name is V 2 0

Name of the Aussie bar is the Roo bar, used to be the Jan bar but the Thai owner remarried and his new wife objected to the name, the bar is run by Bob and Roundy and they have had the bar for 15 years, which must be close to a record in Pattaya for Farangs. The Ice bar in Phuket opens on 25 November. The one in Pattaya is pretty flash and they know how to charge, but th hostesses are beautiful so I guess it could be worth it. By the way the hostesses are not for rent!!

As I have already mentioned the one and only time that I have been in there, I also had problems with being overcharged. I will not go back. I have also had a number of friends who have been in there, and have had similar problems, they will also not go back. I really don't think that this is any coincidence, but a calculated scam using imcompetence as guise.

I live about 10 seconds from Titanium and rarely go there. Never really had a problem, there are just better places around. I have heard similar stories though, especially recently. You have to love the outfits.

Went to Titanium once, was overcharged and I won't go back either. I also advise everyone who mentions the bar that I and others have been ripped off. The word will get around eventually. This is the only bar that I can think of that has deliberately overcharged me in the last 3 years.

Went there once about 6 months ago. The owner I met is a <deleted>.

Funny enuf, met both of the owners - top lads. Even gave me a few vodka shots in the icebar upstairs. :o:D :D :D

a-ha, that's where it is.

I'd been told this ice bar on soi 22 was worth a look. I went for a wander down there a few months ago and couldn't see it. I quizzed a few punters/BGs too but no one knew where it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Titanium, yeah what a blatant rip off. Word gets around after awhile, so they'll feel the pinch eventually.

I know this sounds a bit lame, but if your in for a big night and know there's a good chance you'll get a bit tired and emmotional, pay as you drink. The waitresses get a bit pi##ed with it, but who gives a ........... At least your not getting ripped off.