Brunei For A Visa Run

astral

I am considering Brunei as a destination for a visa run.

What are hotel prices like?

Where do you recommend?

What is there to see and do on a 2-3 day visit?

I have a UK passport so there does not appear to be a requirement for a visa in advance.

Thanks

No problem entering with UK passport and no visa required.

I'd suggest staying in Bandar city centre as there is a little more to do and see.

The Sheraton is good, but I'm not sure of the prices.

There's a couple of cheap hotels also in the City.

Brunei Hotel: http://www.bruneihotel.com.bn/

There's a couple of Travel Agents who do tours which may interest you.

http://www.freme.com/bn_bwn_bruneitours_b2...nboundtours.htm

http://www.centurytravelcentre.com/

Bear in mind there are NO pubs or bars that legally sell alcohol. Though you can import 12 cans of beer and 2 bottles of wine/spirits.

Public transport is very poor to say the least.

I'd recommend an hours water taxi round the water village. A visit to the Royal regalia Building, which houses a collection of gifts given to the Sultan, as well as some other displays.

A trip to the museum and the Arts & Handicraft Centre.

There are a few nice walks close to the city centre too.

Hope this helps a bit. I can dig out more info if you need.

This may help too: http://www.tourismbrunei.com/home.html

I am considering Brunei as a destination for a visa run.

What are hotel prices like?

Where do you recommend?

What is there to see and do on a 2-3 day visit?

I have a UK passport so there does not appear to be a requirement for a visa in advance.

Thanks

There used to be a Winston Churchill museum in Bandar town but I believe it may have gone now. Gone where I don't know.

There used to be a Winston Churchill museum in Bandar town but I believe it may have gone now. Gone where I don't know.

Its gone they send it back to the UK 10 years ago .

Brunei Hotel is located at the city and is consider cheap . from there you can just walk around to anywhere. and even walk to the river where you can take a boat ride to the Water Village .

Edited by tytus

Do and don't in Brunei Darussalam

Bruneians are generally very tolerant and will understand that visitors are not familiar with all of their customs and Islamic traditions. Nonetheless, keeping these few things in mind will go far in showing the Bruneian people that you respect and appreciate their culture, enriching your experience:

Tourists should observe the local dress code and dress modestly. Clothing comfortable for hot weather is acceptable, except when visiting places of worship or for social and business functions.

• Bruneians shake hands by lightly touching the hands and then bringing the hand to the chest. Some people do not to shake hands with members of the opposite sex.

• You should not point with your finger; instead, use the thumb of your right hand with the four fingers folded beneath it.

• When visiting a mosque, all visitors should remove their shoes. Women should cover their heads and not have their knees or arms exposed. You should not pass in front of a person in prayer or touch the Koran.

• Gifts (particularly food) should only be passed with the right hand, although it is acceptable to use the left hand to support the right wrist.

• It is polite to accept even just a little food and drink when offered. When refusing anything offered, it is polite to touch the plate lightly with the right hand.

• During the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan, Muslims do not take food from sunrise to sundown. It would be inconsiderate to eat or drink in their presence during this period.

• In deference to the Muslim majority, alcohol is not sold in Brunei, but private consumption by non-Muslims is allowed. Non-Muslim tourists are allowed a generous duty-free allowance of 2 bottles of alcohol (wine, spirits, etc) and 12 cans of beer per entry, and may consume alcohol with sensible discretion in hotels and some restaurants.

http://www.tourismbrunei.com/info/do.html

In general it's very relaxed here. 2 or 3 days is probably enough to spend in Brunei, unless you want to do a trip to the jungle (Temburong).

There are plenty of shops but nothing really to get excited about.

Pork is available at some Western & Chinese eateries.

There are no 7-11's, Family Marts, Tesco, Big C and the likes. Supermarkets do cater for Western tastes.

One of the Supermarket chains actually have some Waitrose products.

I was there a couple of years ago and they had a first class amusment park with almost no guests. We had to wake the ticket taker up to get in and then we rode on the rides basically alone. They have a really cool roller coster. There is also a 6 star hotel with almost no people and two huge swimming pools, one salt water. It is a good place for dinner. You might try getting a room there (just for the experience) which was under $100 then since there were no guests. The lobby seemed like it was 10 stories tall. Things might have changed now but Brunei was the cleanest SE Asian country, besides Singapore, I have been to. There is also a very beautiful mosque in the center of town and the floating village is quite unique. Other than that you will be very bored.

Jerudong Park is the amusement park. or more to the case WAS.

The whole park is now a ghost town. Some of the rides have been sold off. Others are in unserviceable. The remaining few rides are very poor.

Unfortunately it is still advertised as a tourist attraction.

DON'T waste your time going.

The hotel is called "The Empire". Web site: http://www.theempirehotel.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Jerudong Park is the amusement park. or more to the case WAS.

The whole park is now a ghost town. Some of the rides have been sold off. Others are in unserviceable. The remaining few rides are very poor.

Unfortunately it is still advertised as a tourist attraction.

DON'T waste your time going.

The hotel is called "The Empire". Web site: http://www.theempirehotel.com/

i spent two weeks in brunei and while it is cute for a day or two, avoid being there longer.

went to the empire a few times as well, and for the price it could have been nice, but who in their right mind would spend the cash on a holiday destination where you cant get a drink?

Edited by t.s