Uk Bank Account

I hope someone can help...............I've set up an offshore bank account with the interest being paid into the Nationwide Building Society annually. Can I complete inland revenue form R85 and get interest from Nationwide BS tax free?

many thanks

No ... Cos you need to fill in R105. :o

Naka.

I hope someone can help...............I've set up an offshore bank account with the interest being paid into the Nationwide Building Society annually. Can I complete inland revenue form R85 and get interest from Nationwide BS tax free?

many thanks

No ... Cos you need to fill in R105. :o

Naka.

Assuming you are non-resident for tax purposes

I think Nationwide do not issue a form R105 (not all UK banks do). They will send you a form S352 instead, showing what interest you have paid on savings for the year.

You will find the info on the FAQ's on their internet banking.

Info is also on the HM Revenue & Customs website and the DWP website (Department work and pensions) for info on ordinary non resident etc. I am still trying to get my head round it all.

I no longer have a residence in UK and now living on one year extensions of visa here in Thailand. So I too will be trying to claim tax back on savings interest.

I am living full time in Thailand and I am not happy with my offshore bank in Jersey.

I tried the Nationwide 2 days ago and they seemed to think I could open/transfer an account to them but the call dropped part way through and I could not get back to the guy.

I tried again last night and the call centre told me that without a UK address it would be impossible to open an account.

Does anyone know if it is possible yo open an account in the UK from here?

Nationwide International in the IOM.

I used as proof of address and identity the following.

Passport ID page signed by lawyer

Bank statement from Channel Island bank giving my address

Pay slip from company giving my address.

Download application forms from their website,fill them in and post off.

Nationwide International in the IOM.

I used as proof of address and identity the following.

Passport ID page signed by lawyer

Bank statement from Channel Island bank giving my address

Pay slip from company giving my address.

Download application forms from their website,fill them in and post off.

Thanks for that information.

I will get that started ready for the New Year.

I am living full time in Thailand and I am not happy with my offshore bank in Jersey.

I tried the Nationwide 2 days ago and they seemed to think I could open/transfer an account to them but the call dropped part way through and I could not get back to the guy.

I tried again last night and the call centre told me that without a UK address it would be impossible to open an account.

Does anyone know if it is possible yo open an account in the UK from here?

No problem if you can supply proof of address, all the offhore UK banks exist on offshore residents.

Not only Nationwide but any of them (ALIL have the best interest rates at the moment.

many thanks

Yes. You can download the form R85 from their website and post it off.

they're not very prompt at replying though.

Address it to 'the tax team' to get it to the right department.

David

• 4 months later...

Hi

I downloaded a R105 HMR&C form direct from their website and it states on the form that "B/soc's, banks ect do not have to accept this form."

Many 'moons ago' before I moved to LOS, I remember being told IN a branch that the only form N'wide have to stop the debitting of tax in interest only applies to people on benifits. That is a situation that I am pleased to say has never happened in my working life.

My question is:- Is there anyone out there recieving untaxed interest from Nationwide (not International) B/society, UK and if so, what forms were provided to them (N'wide or HMR&C)?

Thanks in advance :o

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude