Nong Khai,

Lickey

Hi All, will be spending a day or so in Nong Khai {90 day reporting} is there some shops you would recomend for some western foods, also perhaps some rolling tobbaco like Old Holborn or Golden Viginina, rizzla papers and filters? and even a juicy fillet steak, [been without too long now!! } thanks for any advice and help, Cheers Lickey,,

I'm surprised you're not familiar with all the eateries in Nongkhai if you're from Namsom but nevertheless if you want the best steak around then visit the "Thasadej Bar" owned by Tum and Carsten..tell them Guem sent you. I've not had a better steak in the UK! The western food is absolutely suberb, and everything is made in-house. As for rolling backy, Im not sure if you can get the brands you mentioned in Nongkhai. Just the usual 5 baht bags.

http://www.gothasadej.com/menu.php?exp=28&sp=en

Guemlum

Hi Guemlum, Thanks for the info, had a look at the site and the menu looks fine, [ ive already chosen !!!] I suppose the only time we go to Nong Khai is the 90 day thingy, usually go to Udon, mrs wholesale salon supplier is there and it seems Tesco Lotus is better, also can buy some very good NZ lamb joints in Makro, lovely roasted or sliced and grilled for a sandwich, and currys of course, Mrs spent 6 months in UK and is a very good western cook now, another reason we dont get out much is the salon is open 14hrs a day, 7days, so ive told her to close the salon for a couple of days and lets stay in Nong Khai,have a Xmas Break and do the 90 day thing, Thanks again for the link and will mention your name,

Thanks, Lickey..

Hi Thedi, Nobis resturant site looks really good, ive just spent 5000bht and i havent been there yet, but definitley on our next visit, oh for some blue cheese, wheat brod, cider and Veltins, amongst many other things, thankyou very much for the link, Alex & Pan.

Hi Lickey, by all means check out the other two links. Nobbi's is now owned by an English guy called Vern, but has decided to keep the Nobbi name as it has a long standing reputation. Nobbi now resides in Surin. I'm not sure of the standard of food there now since changing hands but Verns a nice guy anyway and worth a check. I only ever pop in there for a drink. The link I gave you before also has several links to other restaurants worth eating at in Nongkhai.

Alternatively, the Vietnamese restaurant opposite Nobbi's is renowned all over Thailand and is frequently visited by high ranking government officials, army generals, Thai TV personalities etc and makes a nice change to both Thai and western food.

But me thinks that you are on a mission to find a nice juicy steak :o

Guemlum

• 2 weeks later...
I'm surprised you're not familiar with all the eateries in Nongkhai if you're from Namsom but nevertheless if you want the best steak around then visit the "Thasadej Bar" owned by Tum and Carsten..tell them Guem sent you. I've not had a better steak in the UK! The western food is absolutely suberb, and everything is made in-house. As for rolling backy, Im not sure if you can get the brands you mentioned in Nongkhai. Just the usual 5 baht bags.

http://www.gothasadej.com/menu.php?exp=28&sp=en

Guemlum

Hi Guem, [cos Tum cant say Garry :o ]So Carsten told me, had a most enjoyable sirlion steak and mixed vegtables, and the white house dog helped with the small left-overs, will try some other places from the website on our next visit, thanks to all who posted other sites too,have printed off and will keep in the truck, Cheers, Lickey..

Hi Lickey, glad to hear you enjoyed your steak.

Its a hive of activity around there, what with the market so close. The dogs name is Bianca for future reference, and I heard she enjoyed the leftovers. :o

Guemlum

Nong Khai seems to have good pizza, but one cannot live on pizza alone.

What about Christian churchs in Nong Khai? Is there an RC or C of E church up there?

Or does a priest come by to say mass?

Hopefully one doesn't have to go all the way the Udon to attend church? If so how long would the drive be?

Sorry, for all these questions, but its at times hard to practice one's faith up country..