Expat Health Insurance

canadiangirl

Quote :

Team, as we've said before use the Thai Visa insurance service - they can offer premiums lower on their Members plans than anyone in Thailand - including BUPA !

I have Bupa, and stopped buy the Thai Visa insurance office in Pattaya last year, and the prices they quoted me were the same prices I am currently getting from the Bupa office.

Barry

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote :

Team, as we've said before use the Thai Visa insurance service - they can offer premiums lower on their Members plans than anyone in Thailand - including BUPA !

I have Bupa, and stopped buy the Thai Visa insurance office in Pattaya last year, and the prices they quoted me were the same prices I am currently getting from the Bupa office.

Barry

Quite correct with BUPA plans but with the Thai Visa group medical plans they can be substantially cheaper – by up to 30% !!

It is a french insurance company with a local brokerage company, it was insured through Hong Kong but see they have just changed insurer.

PM me if you want the guys number and name to contact.

I am referring to your message regarding Health Insurance provided by a french company based in HK.

I live in BKK and I would like to apply for a good international health insurance, I am French and it would be a better option to mix the service both inter and back home,

I would appreciate of you could you send me the contact details of that company and a name if you know anyone there,

Thank you

bonjour,

tu peux me contacter si tu veux les references de ce courtier etant moi meme manager d une des branch de ce groupe..

franclk

• 2 weeks later...

My Thai wife and I will be in Thailand mid Jan for our annual 2 month holiday.

Wife 55 - myself 68

Would I be able to get insurance for just the 2 month stay with TV insurance ?

If so, can I just visit their office in S Pattaya

Thanks

My Thai wife and I will be in Thailand mid Jan for our annual 2 month holiday.

Wife 55 - myself 68

Would I be able to get insurance for just the 2 month stay with TV insurance ?

If so, can I just visit their office in S Pattaya

Thanks

Yes, please call into our Pattaya office with your requirments.

• 1 year later...

I contacted AA Brokers in Chonburi to get insurance with Bupa. I first corresponded to Peter and then to a girl called Da. When I asked her detailed questions about the insurance she got annoyed with me, telling me that because I am a foreigner I just don't know how things work in Thailand. She made lots of racist and gender assumptions and I started to feel discriminated. When I pointed out to her that her emails were rather upsetting to me, she decided not to contact me again. So no insurance yet.

I contacted AA Brokers in Chonburi to get insurance with Bupa. I first corresponded to Peter and then to a girl called Da. When I asked her detailed questions about the insurance she got annoyed with me, telling me that because I am a foreigner I just don't know how things work in Thailand. She made lots of racist and gender assumptions and I started to feel discriminated. When I pointed out to her that her emails were rather upsetting to me, she decided not to contact me again. So no insurance yet.

Please PM us your email address and this will be looked into immediately - thank you.

• 1 month later...

So, as of today, is there a group consensus:

Which is the best health insurance plan currently available to retired farangs living in Thailand... and why?

Thanks a lot.

Sorry but there is no one plan suitable for all - everyone has different needs.

Talk to your Broker - or Thai Visa Brokers B) - for the best plan for your circumstances

Hi,

The school whee I work suggested I try the following Company for Health Insurance. I did and it was extremely competitive>>>>>>>>

Thai Health Insurance

Bangkok

Tel: 02642 3100 or check out their site >>>

www.thaihealth.co.th

worth a go :-)

Thanks for the recommendation, but have you actually put in a claim with them? I get a little leery about companies that that have extremely competitive.pricing.

• 3 weeks later...
Denboy,

Perhaps Bupa Thailand and Bupa International charge different rates?

I will look into the local Bupa offering, thanks for the info.

And merry Christmas and a happy new year to you!

Most likely.

40ish healthy male would be around 23,000bhat/yr for coverage of 2mil per illness. If you get sick in the US, they'll pay for emergencies, but not major surgery that could be done elsewhere.

What's the international rate for something similar?

I am 43 and pay 33,000 per year with Bupa, looking for a cheaper one, I have never used it and I have had it for 4 years now

Please PM us your email address and this will be looked into immediately - thank you.

I have been taking with your brokers most have been ok, not as much as they could be. I talked with some girl today she could not answer anything only wanted to send the plan list. I am in Bangkok and seems their is no one in Bangkok to meet and tak about this. I am up to renew my Bupa 2 million plan, I am 43, price I was given is 32,000 and something. can you get me the same plan for cheaper?

• 11 months later...

I have been taking with your brokers most have been ok, not as much as they could be. I talked with some girl today she could not answer anything only wanted to send the plan list. I am in Bangkok and seems their is no one in Bangkok to meet and tak about this. I am up to renew my Bupa 2 million plan, I am 43, price I was given is 32,000 and something. can you get me the same plan for cheaper?

PM sent

• 2 weeks later...

My investment consulting company takes care of my insurance. They use International Medical Global Plan or IMG, which covers me in 170 countries. The price is below that of BUPA and they cover me for everything once I hit my $250.00 deductible, including OPD, similar to most plans in the US. The office for this company is down in Pattaya although, my understanding is they have an office in Bangkok too. There number is 038-300-075. They also offer limited coverage for pre-existing conditions, although it is just $5,000 USD per year, and they have monthly pay if you use a credit card, which should make it more convenient.

I would recommend Exeter Healthcare from the UK. You remain the age you were upon joining, the only increases being from inflation. Possible to join up to age 79 and cover for life (no cut off age). Been with them for 20+ years, had a few small claims, and the money is always paid in full into bank within 2 weeks. Available to all nationalities. Different plans for all levels of cover.

www.exeterfriendly.co.uk

But they dont appear to cover outside the Euro zone and you have to have a UK residency.

Thai Health (under Thai Life Insurance) is the best option i have scouted over the Internet.

The premium are much cheaper than Bupa's with the same coverage. You can even apply over the internet and send your card and policies on your doorstep.

www.thaihealth.co.th

Funny. I have always found Da extremely courteous efficient and very helpful.

Does anybody here understand what a group plan is? You are mad to go it alone when there is a group plan available with someone batting for you when making a claim. It is the same as if you were working for a huge company with thousands of employees. That company gets a huge discount on premiums for all it's employees. Even better coverage concessions.

I had few years BUPA and never again.!!!

They didnt pay my all hospital bills and I had fight with them to get my money back.

I loose about 100.000b because of them.

Looking now for other company.

I am 44y expat and live and work in Thailand.

I had few years BUPA and never again.!!!

They didnt pay my all hospital bills and I had fight with them to get my money back.

I loose about 100.000b because of them.

Looking now for other company.

I am 44y expat and live and work in Thailand.

I had one occasion of hospital inpatient care, my BUPA card was accepted immediately. I signed the bill which came to 20,000 Baht and BUPA took care of it. I did not have to pay anything upfront.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've heard Thai insurers can just stop your coverage at anytime for no reason....any truth in this ??

If so makes continual coverage when needed a worry.

This is the thing that worries me most. It's when you get older and possibly need regular medication or are looking forward to your first or second heart attack/ stroke/Alzheimer that many of these companies either just refuse to continue to insure you or hike the premiums up by 100% (I find one company that does this when you get to 65. I had to ask though, it wasn't visible on their application form) + another 60% when you get to 75, which is the last thing you need at that age. As I will soon be married, I will, if I understand correctly, get a Thai ID number that entitles me to free care. I think. The thing to do would then to establish contact with a doctor that you trust so you can have him by your side when you need him.. I don't mind dying at home with the family nearby and I hate hospitals anyway. I am putting the decision off for the moment, I need to research more

I've heard Thai insurers can just stop your coverage at anytime for no reason....any truth in this ??

If so makes continual coverage when needed a worry.

This is the thing that worries me most. It's when you get older and possibly need regular medication or are looking forward to your first or second heart attack/ stroke/Alzheimer that many of these companies either just refuse to continue to insure you or hike the premiums up by 100% (I find one company that does this when you get to 65. I had to ask though, it wasn't visible on their application form) + another 60% when you get to 75, which is the last thing you need at that age. As I will soon be married, I will, if I understand correctly, get a Thai ID number that entitles me to free care. I think. The thing to do would then to establish contact with a doctor that you trust so you can have him by your side when you need him.. I don't mind dying at home with the family nearby and I hate hospitals anyway. I am putting the decision off for the moment, I need to research more

So you believe that because you are marrying a Thai you will be entitled to the same benefits as a Thai citizen?

Tell me more!

It is my belief that by marrying a Thai I receive absolutely no benefits - except perhaps the opportunity to support her and her family as long as my money holds out.

It is also my belief that even if I start a company in Thailand and employ several Thai people I may get a work permit, but even then will not be entitled to the same health benefits as the Thais I employ.

I expect to be starting down this road in the next 2 years, having already bought (in my wife's name) 27 rai to build and plant on.

Yes, tell me more. I'm all ears.

What I tentatively stated before seems to be a load of tosh. I did read this somewhere, and that got me going. I didn't find many more references to this so I posted this comment to see if there was any feed back. My wife seemed to think that I could get the 30 Baht treatment, she has seen a Farnag at the local clinic being treated this way. However I suspect that although this may occasionally have been the case in the past, this is no longer so. I did see that someone got the 'gold card' through the post without asking for it. I'm sure that a Thai hospital won't let me die in front of their doors, but any long term free treatment doesn't seem to be on the cards.

I am still dithering between putting the equivalent of a health insurance premium in the bank every month and having no insurance apart from that, or going for an insurance that won't throw me out at 75.

Hi Cooked.

I've just worked through a long series of posts on TV re "Self Insuring", which I'm definitely tending towards.

I'm 65 now and very healthy. Barring an accident - and insurance just for accidents may be the way to go, I am not expecting any health problems for many years. My doctor here in Canada confirmed that for me recently.

My biggest fear is that I will pay into insurance for 20 years with virtually no claims; my premiums will go sky high as I get to 80 or so; when I need help I will be refused renewal the next year; bang goes all that money I paid in.

So putting a million by when we move to Thailand and adding 100,000 each year should see over 3 miliion in there by the time I am 80. If more than that is need, well there's always a pair of lead socks and a short swim.

Then my wife and son can decide what to do with the money I saved them. Hopefully they'll keep it for the same purpose.

yes, I worked through the same posts myself. My thinking is also that as I get older I'll be spending less so I should be able to put more on the side, hopefully as a nest egg for my wife should I go first. Before taking a final decision I will talk to an insurance broker and listen carefully to what he says, hopefully ignoring the fact that he wants to sell me something.

I did find one insurance: Quote "I suggest we look into Nordic, which is a well respected insurer, who will consider covering pre-existing conditions or exclude them. Moreover, Nordic offers a unique feature, which is that your premium will not increase in function to your age. Once you are insured by Nordic, you will stay in the same age bracket for life, your premium will only increase due to medical inflation. " Unquote. 5843 dollars / year....178000 Baht... 14 800/ month. Some important decisions to be made here obviously, after 12 years you have paid in over 2 millions. I must mention that as a back stop I can get medical treatment in Switzerland if I can stand the journey back.