Bicycle Repair Shop Near Patong?

Beck1976

I'm looking for a bicycle repair shop to do basic maintenance jobs, like fixing crooked wheels etc.

I live in Kamala, near Patong.

I've used a motorbike mechanic for fo oiling up the chain, cleaing etc, but don't feel good about letting him mess around with adjusting gears etc.

I'm looking for a bicycle repair shop to do basic maintenance jobs, like fixing crooked wheels etc.

I've used a motorbike mechanic for fo oiling up the chain, cleaing etc, but don't feel good about letting him mess around with adjusting gears etc.

Wait until the next time you get up to Bangkok. Go to Pro-Bike on the north side of Lumpini park. Don't be intimidated by all the high end bikes they carry. Their service guys are pretty good and they don't discriminate on repair/service charges for farangs.

I live in Buri Ram and there is nothing up this way I would trust. We usually go down to the big city every 6 weeks or so and I brought a wheel that I blew a spoke on in October. I brought it in on a Saturday, thinking they were going to rebuild the entire wheel and keep it for several days, costing 1-2,000 baht. The mechanic looked at it and replaced the one spoke, trued the wheel, and gave it back to me and said he didn't think the whole wheel needed to be rebuilt. Charged: 65 Baht, for the new spoke and labor, plus I was on my way with the repaired wheel in less than 20 minutes after arriving. Things like that build up loyalty. If it had been in the US, I would have been looking at $20.00 for the same outcome, and come back next week to get it. The wheel continues to hold up great.

Edited by redwooddrive

Wait until the next time you get up to Bangkok. Go to Pro-Bike on the north side of Lumpini park. Don't be intimidated by all the high end bikes they carry. Their service guys are pretty good and they don't discriminate on repair/service charges for farangs.

I live in Buri Ram and there is nothing up this way I would trust. We usually go down to the big city every 6 weeks or so and I brought a wheel that I blew a spoke on in October. I brought it in on a Saturday, thinking they were going to rebuild the entire wheel and keep it for several days, costing 1-2,000 baht. The mechanic looked at it and replaced the one spoke, trued the wheel, and gave it back to me and said he didn't think the whole wheel needed to be rebuilt. Charged: 65 Baht, for the new spoke and labor, plus I was on my way with the repaired wheel in less than 20 minutes after arriving. Things like that build up loyalty. If it had been in the US, I would have been looking at $20.00 for the same outcome, and come back next week to get it. The wheel continues to hold up great.

ProBike near Lumphini is great, click here for the map

http://www.probike.co.th/contact_us.php

Fast service and cheap as chips

Thank you for all your replies.

Actually, I just discovered a bicycle repair shop has recently opened here in Kamala (else I was going to Thalang).

It was only minor repairs needed: Back brakes needed some adjusting, and the back gears had taken a minor hit, when the bike tipped over one day.

The repairman looked like he knew what he was doing (working on another bicycle when I came), he spoke English, and understood fully the repairs needed. Could pick it up next day, price 150 bath, and everything looks good.

• 2 years later...

Jeez, I wish I had checked out this forum six months ago before I took my flash mountain bike into the Cannondale shop ion Soi 26 for a servicing - thieves broke in to the shop and stole my my bike and few others several others.

The Brit owner, apologized for the incident and admitted that they didn’t have insurance for “clients” bikes, but they would “do me right” and replace the bike. He then showed me the cheapest Cannondale on the floor and said “how about this”? I explained that my bike was a US$3,000 Yeti purchased with my bonus cheque in 2005, and while four years old, in good condition and I expect something better.

Well, six months, 51 emails, 10 phone calls and seven trips to the shop later, I’m presented with a "reconditioned" Trek with used, nonfunctioning brakes and a set of out of production bottom-of-the-line RockSkox. I called the owner's wife on Wednesday to ask for at least an upgrade on the broken brakes and said "no way" and my old bike was !$Z@X&! and "if you don’t like sue me!”. Not nice folks at all.

Jeez, I wish I had checked out this forum six months ago before I took my flash mountain bike into the Cannondale shop ion Soi 26 for a servicing - thieves broke in to the shop and stole my my bike and few others several others.

The Brit owner, apologized for the incident and admitted that they didn't have insurance for "clients" bikes, but they would "do me right" and replace the bike. He then showed me the cheapest Cannondale on the floor and said "how about this"? I explained that my bike was a US$3,000 Yeti purchased with my bonus cheque in 2005, and while four years old, in good condition and I expect something better.

Well, six months, 51 emails, 10 phone calls and seven trips to the shop later, I'm presented with a "reconditioned" Trek with used, nonfunctioning brakes and a set of out of production bottom-of-the-line RockSkox. I called the owner's wife on Wednesday to ask for at least an upgrade on the broken brakes and said "no way" and my old bike was !$Z@X&! and "if you don't like sue me!". Not nice folks at all.

Did you try contacting Cannondale's headquarters in the USA? The shop you mention is Cannondale's designated distributor for Thailand and as such they have their name on the line as well if something like that were to happen. If your accounting of the situation above is factual and not ommitting any mitigating factors then I'd excpect that Cannondale USA wouldn't be happy with ther situation either and might be inclned to try to mediate on your behalf.

The Brit owner, apologized for the incident and admitted that they didn't have insurance for "clients" bikes, but they would "do me right" and replace the bike. He then showed me the cheapest Cannondale on the floor and said "how about this"? I explained that my bike was a US$3,000 Yeti purchased with my bonus cheque in 2005, and while four years old, in good condition and I expect something better.

Well, six months, 51 emails, 10 phone calls and seven trips to the shop later, I'm presented with a "reconditioned" Trek with used, nonfunctioning brakes and a set of out of production bottom-of-the-line RockSkox. I called the owner's wife on Wednesday to ask for at least an upgrade on the broken brakes and said "no way" and my old bike was !$Z@X&! and "if you don't like sue me!". Not nice folks at all.

Did you try contacting Cannondale's headquarters in the USA? The shop you mention is Cannondale's designated distributor for Thailand and as such they have their name on the line as well if something like that were to happen. If your accounting of the situation above is factual and not omitting any mitigating factors then I'd expect that Cannondale USA wouldn't be happy with ther situation either and might be inclined to try to mediate on your behalf.

• 1 year later...

just found a small but very good shop opposite the mosque in patong.

Its set back on the right side heading towards the beach, maybe 30 meters after a family market,

really tiny entrance and then to the back....

nice guy speaks a bit of english and knows what he does.

has new bikes and any kind of equipment you may need