Youtube

toptuan

And in buriram on ToT IPStar, no chance I'll even get to the website, unless I use a proxy server....and since I have no clue what the ToT proxy server is...I have to use an open one I found on the net....a bit risky that I feel...

No any problems!!

But may sometimes the users should check a bit more "hard" to connect to some sites?! The time while a lot websites was blocked seems to be over for some longer time already and at Samut Prakarn all is working fine for some month now.

I'm wonder that the same users who complaining about my post's never complaining about the multi-multi-multi appearing of the "blocked youtube sites" post's!! From my point of view that is much more frustrating than to get (for some users importand) Computer and/or Software News to read!!

Cheers!

No any problems!!

But may sometimes the users should check a bit more "hard" to connect to some sites?! The time while a lot websites was blocked seems to be over for some longer time already and at Samut Prakarn all is working fine for some month now.

I'm wonder that the same users who complaining about my post's never complaining about the multi-multi-multi appearing of the "blocked youtube sites" post's!! From my point of view that is much more frustrating than to get (for some users importand) Computer and/or Software News to read!!

Cheers!

Well, I have tried to work out why I can't get it up, and posted questions on many of those threads. The results have been no answer at all, or sugestions that I tried but did not work.

The solution for me was using a proxy server outside Thailand and that worked. But I have no clue what the legal proxy server adress for my ISP is (ToT IPstar).

And posted a question about what that was. But so far that question was never answered.

So instead of barking becosue epople ask the same question again, or giving a no answer answer to the problem, maybe it's more productive to try and help.

Further, if this forum is not for helping people with their puter problems, and only for new from the IT world....maybe the mods should point that out!

No any problems!!

Cheers!

Well, I have tried to work out why I can't get it up, and posted questions on many of those threads. The results have been no answer at all, or sugestions that I tried but did not work.

The solution for me was using a proxy server outside Thailand and that worked. But I have no clue what the legal proxy server adress for my ISP is (ToT IPstar).

And posted a question about what that was. But so far that question was never answered.

So instead of barking becosue epople ask the same question again, or giving a no answer answer to the problem, maybe it's more productive to try and help.

Further, if this forum is not for helping people with their puter problems, and only for new from the IT world....maybe the mods should point that out!

Gimbo:

if you take a look at the last few month of the youtube post, you'll see that youtube is working for the majority! I had the problems for that time only as youtube was blocked, but that time is over for a longer period already!

In the real I don't mind to see the post comming up and up for so many times and it wasn't a complaint! Just the questions to that guy's which measuring with diffrent "weights"!

Ok, back to youtube!

As youtube is working for the majority of users/members, it's for sure not blocked! So what ypou can do to be connected?

As it seems to be a problem with your ISP, try to first to ping to that website you can't access! If the ping goes true, your computer can "see" The other server! But why you can't see the site itself? Could be several reasons but most likely the problem is your computer or your Modem/Router if the website is accessible via the same as your ISP from other users!

So, befrore you post that a Website is "blocked" check to first others are able to connect and if you for yourself can ping the website! After that you could start a topic more likely as: "Help I can't connect to youtube" and submitt the result of your own research! Without detailed infos even about your connection and own research it's a bit difficult to help!

Cheers!

Reimar, I have never said that yuoutube is blocked. I have said that I, and obviously several others are having problems reaching youtube. And since its not officially blocked there may be a tyechnical reason for it. And I am desperately trying to find a work around to make it work.

I will try and describe what I found so far:

When I try to access the http://www.youtube.com/ or by using the IP adress 208.65.153.253 I get this error message in firefox and similar in IE:

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

I have tried it using openDNS as I assumed it could be a problem with the DNS servers....did not work.

Next I tried using an open proxy server, several different ones actually and that did work. So that may be the way for those that have a problem. Only as far as I can recall, using an anonymous proxy is illegal in Thailand.

So I want to test it with my ISP's proxy server...but I do not know what the IP for the ToT proxy server is. I have tried asking in this forum, but so far never recieved a reply.

Calling ToT is fruitless, they just claim everything is working fine...

So once again, I am asking: What is the IP adress and port for the ToT proxy servers?

Youtube Blocked again?

Have you try to ping the IP? Here you've to start! You need to know ypour computer can "see" the other site or not! After that need to start to find out what's blocking the access!

Youtube Blocked again?

Have you try to ping the IP? Here you've to start! You need to know ypour computer can "see" the other site or not! After that need to start to find out what's blocking the access!

Yes, I forgot to mention that... I have pinged both the IP adress and the url. And can ping both, with no packet loss at all.

I have also tried a tracert, and got all the way.

The only way I can get it up is by using a proxy server...

Edited by Gimbo

"Blocked"? Yet another false alert...

:o

Perhaps we could also start using the proper terminology on these multiple threads... It's misleading and with negative connotations that don't reflect reality.

Perhaps you can read the last posts and see that we are trying to work out a solution to a problem that its obvous that many have. And that way perhaps put a stop to those misleading threads.

Nest step should be to check your Internet settings!

You'll need to enable many things which are describedt as unsave like the ActiveX setting pp.

But if you use a good AV software there shouldn't be a problem! I had set everything to Enable in the Internet Settings and because of my overall secrutrity I hadn't any problems so far!

It really seems to be your own computer and/or settings which makes you the problems!

You'll need to enable many things which are describedt as unsave like the ActiveX setting pp.

But if you use a good AV software there shouldn't be a problem! I had set everything to Enable in the Internet Settings and because of my overall secrutrity I hadn't any problems so far!

It really seems to be your own computer and/or settings which makes you the problems!

Everything is enabled. I have tried with 2 different computers, and the ONLY site I do not get to is youtube. And I have NO problem whatsoever reaching it usinga PROXY server.

All I want to do now is using a legal in Thailand proxy server, preferably the one from my ISP, but nobody seem to be able to answer what the IP and port for that is...

My connectivity problems, current ISP (TOT ADSL), and attempted solutions are identical to Gimbo's. I am the OP, and when you can reach all other websites but one, and you know Big Brother is watching it like a hawk due to past infractions, it is a natural assumption that there is a block. Sorry, if someone got rattled. :o

Edited by toptuan

Everything is enabled. I have tried with 2 different computers, and the ONLY site I do not get to is youtube. And I have NO problem whatsoever reaching it usinga PROXY server.

All I want to do now is using a legal in Thailand proxy server, preferably the one from my ISP, but nobody seem to be able to answer what the IP and port for that is...

As I don't use TOT, I don't know the proxy settings from TOT! But if you call to TOT using: 1177 follow by your phone number (the one you use with ADSL) you'll come direct to the TOT ADSL Service and they should able to tell you!

But it's legal to use an Thai ISP Proxy!

Perhaps we could also start using the proper terminology on these multiple threads... It's misleading and with negative connotations that don't reflect reality.

I fully agree! Don't use the word "blocked" unless you see the typical screen telling you that its is blocked!

Youtube is working just fine (quite fast for once) but apparently 'Gimbo' has a technical problem with his ISP.

Apparently 'Gimbo' has tried pings and flushed the DNS to no avail. To clean the browser cache may also help, but I am not an expert and wonder why nobody here has come forward with some constructive advise for 'Gimbo'.

Gimbo, do a Google for TOT proxy servers and you will find a lot of info but most of it is in Thai.

opalhort

As I don't use TOT, I don't know the proxy settings from TOT! But if you call to TOT using: 1177 follow by your phone number (the one you use with ADSL) you'll come direct to the TOT ADSL Service and they should able to tell you!

I know its legal to use a THAI proxy....however its illegal to use a non thai proxy to bypass blocked sites. Yes Youtube is not blocked, but using one of those I was able to acess youtube. So since I try to keep my path clean, I want to test with ToT official proxy servers.

I am not on ADSL, I am on IPStar satellite trough TOT. So I can not call 1177, as I do not have a ToT phone number.

There is a number written on my Modem, I am supposed to call, but all I get is a message saying the number does not exist....

You would think you would find a minimum of technical information on the ToT website, like what is their Proxy servers, DNS, SMTP server etc....but nada about that there...

I know its legal to use a THAI proxy....however its illegal to use a non thai proxy to bypass blocked sites. Yes Youtube is not blocked, but using one of those I was able to acess youtube. So since I try to keep my path clean, I want to test with ToT official proxy servers.

I am not on ADSL, I am on IPStar satellite trough TOT. So I can not call 1177, as I do not have a ToT phone number.

There is a number written on my Modem, I am supposed to call, but all I get is a message saying the number does not exist....

You would think you would find a minimum of technical information on the ToT website, like what is their Proxy servers, DNS, SMTP server etc....but nada about that there...

Not that I expected to get any help, but I looked up the full number for the ToT customer service and called them.

The dude was somewhat confused about why I needed the information, and gave me a 3rd degree inerrogation about that...before telling me to hold the line. After a minute or two he came back and told me ToT does NOT HAVE proxy servers, and that I would have to find one on my own!

<deleted>!

Well, what to do... I cant believe he gave me the "we not hab!"

:D :D :D:o

Edited by Gimbo

Try this Link

There are some proxy servers and ports for IPstar TOT listed.

Found the link via Google IPstar TOT proxy server

opalhort

Thanks, tried that before, and it did not work...that is, I tried and the result was that I had no acess at all to any website...

Tried again using an open proxy server abroad....youtube up within seconds.

But nervous about using that sollution here...

Edited by Gimbo

Try this Link

opalhort

Thanks, tried that before, and it did not work...that is, I tried and the result was that I had no acess at all to any website...

Don't worry as long as you didn't bypaas Thai blocked sites!

Try this Link

opalhort

Don't worry as long as you didn't bypaas Thai blocked sites!

Well, how would I know it was blocked?

If using such a proxy I would never see the warning message on a blocked site.

I guess I could use IE with youtube only on a proxy, and firefox for everything else...then the only danger would be if they should officially block youtube again.... he he

Ok, I found a transparant proxy server located in Thailand with this adresss: 203.144.144.164 and port 80

It works and I can access youtube. It should be legal as it is transparant....i.e not maqking you anonymous....and as Reimar says, as long as you dont use it to bypass blocked sites it should be ok....we hope..

I fully agree! Don't use the word "blocked" unless you see the typical screen telling you that its is blocked!

Youtube is working just fine (quite fast for once) but apparently 'Gimbo' has a technical problem with his ISP.

Apparently 'Gimbo' has tried pings and flushed the DNS to no avail. To clean the browser cache may also help, but I am not an expert and wonder why nobody here has come forward with some constructive advise for 'Gimbo'.

Gimbo, do a Google for TOT proxy servers and you will find a lot of info but most of it is in Thai.

opalhort

Just for the record, I never saw a blocked page for YouTube back when it was fully blocked, it just failed to load. I had a maxnet connection at the time.

opalhort

You don't sound very acquainted with Big Brother's methods, Opal. There is NO TYPICAL SCREEN. Life on the net in Thailand is not as simple as you apparently hope for...

During YouTube's banishment from Thai cyberspace, they used at least three different blocking techniques which ranged from an innocent and routine "server cannot be found" to finally the blatant announcement from the Ministry of Culture that they had thrown the bums out. The former is often used when they suspect it might cause a row, I suspect. When the news finally became generally known, they switched to the "official page" announcement. I've seen this pattern for a number of sensitive websites over the years.

Same problem.

TOT ADSL / Chiang Mai. D-link Router DSL-2540t.

Cannot access YouTube using IE or Firefox. No other web sites affected.

Changing the DNS Servers to OpenDNS didnt help. Only when using a Proxy Server (browser based or the one mentioned above) - was I able to access YouTube "normally".

A word of warning if you use one of those "other proxy methods" to gain access to web sites before I got it to work by using Proxy Server

My software firewall log reported "DETECTED DNS CACHE POISONING ATTACK" each time I attempted to connect to YouTube. Read a little about DNS CACHE POISONING at http://www.news.com/2100-7349_3-5816061.html

I get no such events when using other more 'legitimate' DNS / Proxy Server and accessing YouTube.

Possible that TOT's DNS Cache for YouTube is corrupted ? If it doesn't affect all TOT ADSL customers accessing YouTube - then I guess not.

But if an ISP wanted to block access to a particular website - then DNS Cache Poisoning would be one way - without leaving a trace.

You don't sound very acquainted with Big Brother's methods, Opal. There is NO TYPICAL SCREEN. Life on the net in Thailand is not as simple as you apparently hope for...

During YouTube's banishment from Thai cyberspace, they used at least three different blocking techniques which ranged from an innocent and routine "server cannot be found" to finally the blatant announcement from the Ministry of Culture that they had thrown the bums out. The former is often used when they suspect it might cause a row, I suspect. When the news finally became generally known, they switched to the "official page" announcement. I've seen this pattern for a number of sensitive websites over the years.

I'm quite well aware of the way things are blocked here and the 'typical screen' is not the only message, but by now we all know that youtube is no longer blocked here and the OP obviously had a technical problem caused by TOT. So, the word "blocked" was misleading.

Sorry for me having used the expression "unless you see the typical screen ", which I should probably have phrased differently.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2008

opalhort