The New Airport

TheDon

First time i been to the new airport in late December and leaving just last Saturday back to Sydney.

All I can say is how impressed I was, I know alot of people dont like it but its probaly the best airport ive been too. Ive been to London, France, NZ, South Korea, Phils, Singapore, Viet and Japan. And I think it beats all of them, Service was great, Immigration line was quick in and out (maybe i got lucky) Shops are very nice (even thought i think there Ipods are a rip) and i think its just looks amazing.

The only thing is its abit of a walk from the gate, but hey its good excercise when you been sitting for long hours. Im sure it will also improve as its only new and i hear there is growing pains as per this forum, but I have to say that i never experienced all the problems listed here.

I mean people still consider Thailand to be a 3rd world country and they are complaining about every small thing they can think of, i mean i think they have done a terrific job considering Thailand is borderline out of 3rd world status (depends who you ask).

First time i been to the new airport in late December and leaving just last Saturday back to Sydney.

All I can say is how impressed I was, I know alot of people dont like it but its probaly the best airport ive been too. Ive been to London, France, NZ, South Korea, Phils, Singapore, Viet and Japan. And I think it beats all of them, Service was great, Immigration line was quick in and out (maybe i got lucky) Shops are very nice (even thought i think there Ipods are a rip) and i think its just looks amazing.

The only thing is its abit of a walk from the gate, but hey its good excercise when you been sitting for long hours. Im sure it will also improve as its only new and i hear there is growing pains as per this forum, but I have to say that i never experienced all the problems listed here.

I mean people still consider Thailand to be a 3rd world country and they are complaining about every small thing they can think of, i mean i think they have done a terrific job considering Thailand is borderline out of 3rd world status (depends who you ask).

Suvarnabhumi beats Singapore?? what have you been smoking??

the last time I was flying out I gad to wait 50 minutes to check in - maybe it was the fault of the airline itself, but still a very bad experience. All the family had to wait with me to be sure I will be put on that flight

I cannot begin to understand why so many of you find it necessary to compare

Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hong Kong, Singapore and others, and then come up with a negative

outcome. :o

I live in Thailand. When I want to fly international I have to use BKK Airport, and I found that it does the job it was designed for extremely well, in fact much better than any of the airports in Europe that I regularly use and this includes FRA - CDG - BRU and AMS, and if you want to complain about grumpy immigration or security personnel, try any of the above mentioned airports.

Also as far as I'm concerned it's much better than Don Muang ever used to be.

cheers

onzestan

I agree, i bet many people have different opinions to your own.

People complain about the immigration line, its pretty much like that all over the world, but when I went there it was fine.

Singapopre has nice massage chairs and cheap duty free and looks decent, but thats about it to me. I wont even start on the rest of the airports. To me London and Sydney are the worst ive ever been too

People complain about the immigration line, its pretty much like that all over the world, but when I went there it was fine.

Singapopre has nice massage chairs and cheap duty free and looks decent, but thats about it to me. I wont even start on the rest of the airports. To me London and Sydney are the worst ive ever been too

Not only that, as I said I live in Thailand, what good is it to me that Hong Kong or Singapore are better, I couldn't care less.

cheers

onzestan

I agree TheDon. There are lots of whingers about Swampypoom, but to me it is perfectly functional. I disagree with your comparison with Changi however; that is one of the best airports in the world if you want superb polite service, things to do if you have a long connection time, comfort etc etc. I am, arguably, slightly biased as it is the home base of an ex employer, but I would argue there is just no comparison.

However if you just want to check in, get on your plane and go, BKK works, and if you just want to arrive and get the heck out of there, BKK works. That is the function of an airport.

It improves every time I use it, and I went through on opening day +1, when it was at its worst; and it was still ok compared with the nightmare that is LHR I departed from.

It's a dam_n sight better than many many western airports I could name. LHR, CDG, JFK etc etc etc. Anybody tried JNB? (Johannesburg), its like Don Muang without the charm. And lets not get started on real 3rd world airports. Try Karachi or Lagos and then start the whinging about BKK :o

Edited by yorkman

I started visiting thailand in 2004. I loved the old airport. I thought it was efficiently sized. And, it had a little more style than suvani. Nothing against steel and glass, but I would prefer a different decor that lets you know you are in Thailand. Some more Thai architecture for example. Plus there was a better juice bar, that would mix an orange and a banana for me. Always a nice farewell before leaving. This trip, I found the juice bar among the food court there, but the buy wouold not custom mix the drink, even though the sign said mix your own. Oh well.

Service wise, I have had no problems. The long walk is a bad design. For elderly people it is a long way and the moving sidewalks are too few. The design of making you walk past store after store of airport stuff for sale is a bit insulting to me, but I don't have to stop and spend, and I don't.

In November, I had to change my return ticket which I could only do at the China Air Ticket counter. I had a 1255 flight and was there plenty early. Not much of a line. The ticket agent man was Thai and did a fine job. It was a $25 USD change fee, and I paid in Thai Baht. Ten minutes at the counter and I was off to the gate.

The taxi situation is seemingly always in flux, but really never a show stopper. Last trip I even went with one of the touts who pesterred me inside the terminal because we agreed on an OK rate. I took the Bell bus back to the airport from Pattaya that worked real well. Non-stop from Pattaya to the departure gate. Did not stop at the airport transit center. Great deal for 150 baht. Same speed and time as a taxi (800 baht) from pattaya.

I agree about the LHR comments - never had an easy check in at Heathrow and not looking forward to my having to go through it all in March on my way to BKK - only good time was when after standing in a long queue going nowhere for a BA desk in Terminal 3 we were ushered outside and into the separate Club Class check in because of having children.

Normally I will always choose to go from Luton/Stansted

But will get used to the new BKK as I have to use it for BKK-LHR return and also Phuket return as well!

I think like most a totally functional airport...

If you complain about Suvarnabhumi, you really do need to try London Heathrow!!!

Now that will get you complaining!!!!!!!

Edited by Tafia

Obviously, you're not a smoker. Some bright engineer decided to put both smoking rooms at Suwanabumi right across from each other on the bottom floor.

Not easy to find if you don't know where they are !

Edited by Axistar

Obviously, you're not a smoker. Some bright engineer decided to put both smoking rooms at Suwanabumi right across from each other on the bottom floor.

Not easy to find if you don't know where they are !

I'm also a smoker, but I'm not afraid to ask.

There are more than 2 smoker rooms. Concourse D - E - F and G have 2 each about 50 metres from the crossing.

Don't know about the other side i.e. A - B - C and D but suppose they're there also. All at the arrivals level. So that's 8 that I know off and most probable 8 more at the other side.

cheers

onzestan

Get a life you, lemming like whingers.

Swampipool is a blotty good airport.

I have used it more than 20 times since it opened, arriving and departing.

Most people just look for problems, many imagined.

Only genuine gripes are.

Long walks, but on arrival, it gets ya blood clots moving.

All those miles of shops.

Thank heaven, King Power mite get some competition soon.

Mind you, it is Thailand, he will finance friends, soo no diff.

Biggest bonuses are cheap bus into CBD, 35Baht to Victory,

Damned good cafe, The Magic Food Point on bottom level near bus dep, gate 8.

Love the place, even sleep over if arriving late.

Kiwi Pete

I cannot begin to understand why so many of you find it necessary to compare

Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hong Kong, Singapore and others, and then come up with a negative

outcome. :o

the people here actually didnt complain about Suvannaphum..... they said its okay and much better than people make it, but still far behind SIN, which is just a fact.

I just have arecent experience, flying in to BKK from SIN 2 days ago, and yes, SIN is still lightyears away and will always be.....

but its a different country and a different culture, and I really dont want the old DMK airport back, I am very much ok with SWAMPY..... just hope those guys finally fix the flaws after almost 18 months of time since opening.....

the good thing , it has Burger King (or hungry jacks if you like ) ,, the bad ,,,has very uncomfortable seats at the gates

cheers

egg

P.S ,, it has planes as well ,, which makes it very convenient to go overseas :o

Since when does Savanaboum's sad factory hall with attached fashion brand name shops beat the world best Sillipore airport? :o

BTW, Udon Thani has a much more nice airport than Swamypoon.

Ahh yes, lest we forget , Udon Thani International. Heads were held high when the international flights started to Singapore and the locals had a true aviation hub of SE Asia on their doorstep. They could sneer as they stepped out into Changi's budget terminal. Ahhh heady days!!. It did not last long, but it was truly a golden age of Issan aviation.

Its got a lovely new terminal as well if you can dodge the saamlaw limousine touts, although rumour has it they will be moving domestic flights back to the old terminal.

Anything that Bangkok can do, etc etc :D

• 4 weeks later...

I fly in an out of Suvarnabhumi at least once a week ... sometimes 2 or 3 times a week.

After almost a year and a half I'm getting use to it although I really prefer the old days of Don Muang when I could navigate much faster to my departure gate and it was much quicker between touchdown and arriving downtown Bangkok.

Maybe it's my compulsive/obsessive character or my (too) many trips or whatever but I usually find myself timing things relating to the hassles of travel .. for instance does the plane take off on time? ... arrive on time? ... how long between touchdown and lining up for immigration ... how long does it take for the baggage to arrive .. how long to wait in immigration lines ... etc etc etc.

I realize that some of the differences in times have nothing to do with the new airport, for instance ... are the immigration officers having to write more data per passenger, traffic tied up by some event, etc etc.

I travel to many different destinations leaving and arriving at all times of the day and night. Usually I have luggage but sometimes not. I almost always sit in the front of the plane and am among the first ones out and tend to walk rather fast. I also am a member of enough frequent flyer programs that I can check in quickly at Business Class counters even when I'm traveling economy. About 85% of the time I take local taxi's for the ride into town and 15% airport limos.

I almost never buy anything at airports so the pluses and minuses of the shopping have no relevance to me.

Sometimes getting thru Suvarnabhumi can be very fast and faster than the average times at Don Muang. However USUALLY it take more time than Don Muang and about one out of five trips thru Suvarnabhumi is EXTREMELY slow and stressful. My fastest and easiest times thru Don Muang have yet yet to be matched by Suvarnibhumi and I mean not even close.

"Amazing Thailand" type experiences, i.e. absurdly long delays, have happened about once every 4 months at Suvarnabhumi when I had only one of these in 15 years at Don Muang (this was when I was on a plane full of Vietnamese refugees and they took my and other passengers' luggage to the military side of the airport where the refugees were taken).

I "lost" luggage a few times at Don Muang but filing the claim etc was usually not so difficult or time consuming (I always eventually got my luggage) and I never completely lost anything. I haven't lost any luggage at Suvarnabhumi although I credit the modern (anti-terrorist) policies of luggage handling and luggage/passenger matching for this. However Christmas packages were taken from my daughter's luggage at Suvarnabhumi and this never happened at Don Muang.

In any case, I'm getting use to Suvarnibhumi but still cannot help but occasionally look fondly back to the days of Don Muang.

Personally I could care less either way Don Muang was fine, nothing wrong with Sawannapoon. I could care less about shopping at the duty free, I mean who waits until they get to airport to do their shopping. As long as the planes land safely and on or nearly on time, it's all good.

You want bad airports fly through Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila. I usually fly Philippine Airlines to get to BKK, but am ditching it to avoid NAIA. Late flights, getting checked through 3-4 security checkpoints on a stopover. Having security confiscate items because they like them, but of course they blame the TSA for having to take it. That why I changed to EVA. TPE is a decent airport, clean, has smoking lounges, and you don't get molested by security.

Thai airports are fine, they get the job done. Unless you are an aficionado of international airports then that's all that should really matter.

I was one of the first passengers to arrive at Suvarnabhumi when it opened. My first impression was I was arriving at a 1950s underground railway station - acres of bare concrete walls.

It's improved heaps since then - they are slowly tackling what I saw as one of their biggest failures - not enough toilets.

One thing I love is the Smoking Room available just after you arrive - before you face Passport Control.

Peter

I started visiting thailand in 2004. I loved the old airport. I thought it was efficiently sized. And, it had a little more style than suvani. Nothing against steel and glass, but I would prefer a different decor that lets you know you are in Thailand. Some more Thai architecture for example. Plus there was a better juice bar, that would mix an orange and a banana for me. Always a nice farewell before leaving. This trip, I found the juice bar among the food court there, but the buy wouold not custom mix the drink, even though the sign said mix your own. Oh well.

Service wise, I have had no problems. The long walk is a bad design. For elderly people it is a long way and the moving sidewalks are too few. The design of making you walk past store after store of airport stuff for sale is a bit insulting to me, but I don't have to stop and spend, and I don't.

In November, I had to change my return ticket which I could only do at the China Air Ticket counter. I had a 1255 flight and was there plenty early. Not much of a line. The ticket agent man was Thai and did a fine job. It was a $25 USD change fee, and I paid in Thai Baht. Ten minutes at the counter and I was off to the gate.

The taxi situation is seemingly always in flux, but really never a show stopper. Last trip I even went with one of the touts who pesterred me inside the terminal because we agreed on an OK rate. I took the Bell bus back to the airport from Pattaya that worked real well. Non-stop from Pattaya to the departure gate. Did not stop at the airport transit center. Great deal for 150 baht. Same speed and time as a taxi (800 baht) from pattaya.

And you point is ?????

My son flew back to UK last week after visiting me. Unfortunately he had a 6hour wait between flights at Suvarnabhumi. He said it was a nightmare as there are no reasonable seats anywhere in the airport and very few seats period. The airport may be ok for those of you who simply arrive by taxi , check-in and fly out, but it seems to be very user unfriendly for a prolonged stay, which happens now and again.

When I used to fly out of DonMuang I always went to the massage parlour in the centre of the concourse and had a back and neck massage, which not only wasted an hour but also left me feeling very relaxed for my flight. Why cant they do the same at Suvarnabhumi?

Have to say though, Bangkok Airways ought to be congratulated for their customer lounge. Comfortable with complimentary drinks and snacks, mind you we pay for it in their inflated prices.

My son flew back to UK last week after visiting me. Unfortunately he had a 6hour wait between flights at Suvarnabhumi. He said it was a nightmare as there are no reasonable seats anywhere in the airport and very few seats period. The airport may be ok for those of you who simply arrive by taxi , check-in and fly out, but it seems to be very user unfriendly for a prolonged stay, which happens now and again.

When I used to fly out of DonMuang I always went to the massage parlour in the centre of the concourse and had a back and neck massage, which not only wasted an hour but also left me feeling very relaxed for my flight. Why cant they do the same at Suvarnabhumi?

Have to say though, Bangkok Airways ought to be congratulated for their customer lounge. Comfortable with complimentary drinks and snacks, mind you we pay for it in their inflated prices.

They have massage service at both ends of the new airport.