Are There Other English-lang Thai Forums/sites Online?

ahalfthaiamerican

I know this is an unpopular opinion to state here (but I'm entitled to this), but I feel that this forum tends to cater more towards Westerners and is not for my tastes and not how I want to spend any online time learning about Thailand. It's not anything personally against Thaivisa as a site, but it's just that in almost EVERY thread I find someone posting something that I sometimes strongly disagree by principle and then having others agree with him/her in a sycophantic manner. All it leads is to me questioning myself why I wasted my time reading this site. I feel like I'm being forced to "learn" about Thailand in much more of an outsider manner than I would if I was spending my Thai-online time on a more Thais-oriented English-language site/forum.

So instead, what I'm looking for an English-language Thai site/forum that caters towards people who are more like native residents from Thailand, luk kruengs (half-thais), and overseas 1st/2nd gen Thais/Thai-Chinese and will post from a more Thai outlook than most the Thaivisa posts. The only criteria is that the forum has to be English-language (for the most part) so that might make it rare.

I'm not sure if Thailandqa.com fills this criteria or not better than Thaivisa. Are there any other English-language forums about Thailand that have more posters who are more related to Thailand?

Edited by ahalfthaiamerican

A bit unfair Brit.

A half Thai cannot be blamed for wanting to know more about that side of their parentage, even if they cannot afford or do not have the opportunity to travel.

And lets face it, this is a place where people regularly demean Thais just for being Thai. It makes them feel better about themselves I suppose. I dont blame him/her for their point of view.

@ ahalfthaiamerican, I think you are probably looking for something that is non existant. There are some very vibrant forums in Thailand where you would no doubt be very welcome, but if you cannot read and understand Thai you will be left out. Do you?

Any suggestions anybody?

Edited by yorkman

A bit unfair Brit.

A half Thai cannot be blamed for wanting to know more about that side of their parentage, even if they cannot afford or do not have the opportunity to travel.

And lets face it, this is a place where people regularly demean Thais just for being Thai. It makes them feel better about themselves I suppose. I dont blame him/her for their point of view.

@ ahalfthaiamerican, I think you are probably looking for something that is non existant. There are some very vibrant forums in Thailand where you would no doubt be very welcome, but if you cannot read and understand Thai you will be left out. Do you?

Any suggestions anybody?

That would be no problem reading a Thai-language forum and I admired the empathy and insight in your post.

Does anyone here know what the largest/most known Thai-language online forums are? The knowledge that I could better participate in a Thai-language forum would definitely be a good impetus for me to get started actually learning how to read, write, & type thai sufficiently and not like a foreign luk kreung. :o

I didn't mean to be too hard on everyone in the first post, I just tried hard to get a message across based on reaction.

Edited by ahalfthaiamerican

Well I can't say as I blame the OP considering some of the absolute negativity and insults applied across the board to all Thai people. Too many posters here take their own personal (negative) experiences and apply it to the nation as a whole.

Anyway, I guess it depends on what you are looking for, my husband visits teenee.com but his personal favorite is weekendhobby.com--he likes the fishing info.

My personal favorite is the The 50 Most Beautiful People Forum on the hugely popular Thais website hi5.com, where I'm a long-time member.

Their enticing forum description from the board administrator hooked me as I could identify with their like-mindedness so easily.

This group is intended for the 50 most beautiful people in the site, but what the heck since everybody wants to join I am dropping the 50 in the group name so that all can join, anybody who feels beautiful.

Sorry, but the links directly to it are tightly controlled.

If you want to get more political and discuss more 'intelligent' topics there are slightly controversial forums at - sameskybooks.org/board, same goes for the forums at Prachatai. (Samesky or FahDiewKan was blocked a month or so ago but it's back online after the govt backed down)

Both Forums are in Thai language.

If you want to get more political and discuss more 'intelligent' topics there are slightly controversial forums at - sameskybooks.org/board, same goes for the forums at Prachatai. (Samesky or FahDiewKan was blocked a month or so ago but it's back online after the govt backed down)

Both Forums are in Thai language.

They were probably blocked as they support Taksin!

Edited by RueFang