Has Any Western Teacher Managed To Achieve Residency/citizenship?

garro

I am just curious as to whether or not any of the western teachers have managed to achieve residency/citizenship?

Is it a realistic goal?

It would seem a nice thing to have due to the uncertain climate at the moment.

It is my understanding though that most of us wouldn't qualify due to the income/tax requirements.

Is that correct?

Excellent resource on obtaining residency in the Visa section, written by camarata.

When considering residency, I looked for potential benefits. Those were

Positives -

Never having to renew my visa again. Can stay in the country without a yearly renewal of a visa (of some sort). That means if I were to ever lose my job, i could stay in the country. Of course, I am married to a thai citizen, and could get a marriage visa, in the unlikely event i were canned.

- first step on the road to citizenship (which almost no western person ever gets)

Negatives

- huge HUGE fee required if you are successful with your application(100,000 baht or so if you are married to thai citizen, 200,000 if you are not) When I think of how many years of visa renewals that is (currently 50 or 100 depending on your marital status) I just laugh and forget about the whole thing.

- you still have to get a reentry permit every time you leave the country!

- you have to report your whereabouts to the government once every 5 years (not really a negative, just a pain in the ass)

- The residency does not give you any added benefits. Still cannot buy land, own a home, etc.

- have no desire to become a citizen

- my thai skills aren't good enough to pass the test (probably)

So, for me, I figure, whats the point?

I've known a few teachers to get citizenship - one is in the process right now. It's much easier for a woman maried to a Thai.

It wasn't that hard - WP for 3 years then pay 10,000(it's gone way up now) and wait. One couldn't even speak P6 level Thai!

Ain't it ridiculous people apllying for residency/citizenship when they can't speak a word.

I know one guy who couldn't say turn left to his driver and asked me to tel him, he got his residency for being 1st secretary for the US embassy. I saw him last month and he's been here now for decades and still can't speak a word.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, How do you qualify for the minimum taxable income on a teacher's salary (for citizenship)? If I am there teaching can I set up am export business and pay taxes on that to boost the total? I am afraid that it would also take too many hours of tutoring to make up the difference. How are the others managing it? My thanks.

The law is very sexist in favor of Thai men. Western ladies can get residency without too much hassle in most cases, whereas us guys whose wives are Thai must deal with the yearly visas. If you're married to a Thai, I'd suggest getting a Class "O" visa, as you can work on it and yet remain in the country if the job goes south. If you're not working, you'll need to show 400,000 Baht in the bank at the time of renewal.