Vonage Softphone With True Sdl

gunnyd

I will be returning to Bangkok in about a month and I am weighing signing up for Vonage service and getting one of their softphones. Usually I only visit a month at a time and use my mobile with DTAC, but I will be staying for a year and using DTAC for calling home in the US and The Philippines will cost way too much.

Does anyone have personal experience using Vonage's V-Phone with True DSL? How does it perform? Thanks in advance for your help :o . BTW I have checked out Skype and will not be using them.

Edited by gunnyd

I will be returning to Bangkok in about a month and I am weighing signing up for Vonage service and getting one of their softphones. Usually I only visit a month at a time and use my mobile with DTAC, but I will be staying for a year and using DTAC for calling home in the US and The Philippines will cost way too much.

Does anyone have personal experience using Vonage's V-Phone with True DSL? How does it perform? Thanks in advance for your help :o . BTW I have checked out Skype and will not be using them.

Saw that you weren't getting many replies so thought I would try and help out a bit -

I used the softphone option on vonage for about a year. It was not on TRUE or in Bangkok but up country on IPstar, The quality of calls was variable, depending on time of day. Found that transmission out of Thailand was good quality but transmission into thailand was poor. There was also a huge lag. Calling landlines was better than mobiles.

I would not use the system as I had it for business but it was a cheap way for people to contact me in thailand.

I would say that the problems I encountered were due to using IPstar rather than adsl line. I think that you should have a better experience with an adsl line. You can always give it a try and cancel if its no good.

hope that points you in the correct direction.

I would not use the system as I had it for business but it was a cheap way for people to contact me in thailand.

I would say that the problems I encountered were due to using IPstar rather than adsl line. I think that you should have a better experience with an adsl line.

Thanks for the response. Is IPstar a satellite based internet provider or cable? Also were you connected directly to a modem or using WiFi? I will be using it to keep in touch with family and friends not business, so having to call someone back or talk slower would be acceptable.

I will be using it to keep in touch with family and friends not business, so having to call someone back or talk slower would be acceptable.

I think what dsys was referring to by incoming transmissions vs outgoing was the actual audio quality of audio data coming into thailand versus outgoing, regardless of who originated the call. Hope that cluttered sentence makes sense! This has been my experience with SIP based VoIP service in thailand as well. The other party reports that they can hear me fine but their speech arrives in bursts and drops out when the network is overloaded.

I've found that the Ookla based internet speedtests (like THIS) are a reasonable indicator of what to expect of call quality. If the download test often pauses for more than just a fraction of a second then the same is likely to happen to your call data, resulting in drops. Uploading generally has no pausing at all for me which explains why the other party generally experiences a better call quality. There are other online tests for VoIP quality as well.

I would say that the problems I encountered were due to using IPstar rather than adsl line. I think that you should have a better experience with an adsl line.

Thanks for the response. Is IPstar a satellite based internet provider or cable? Also were you connected directly to a modem or using WiFi? I will be using it to keep in touch with family and friends not business, so having to call someone back or talk slower would be acceptable.

ipsar is satellite based - really solution of last resort but only choice out in the boonies.

I use the wifi phone instead of an ATA - a bad choice in retrospect would not suggest it.

Using the system i have here is a bit like using a ship to shore phone - if you have ever used that - it is usable if you can get people used to the delay. Sometimes I have to get people to say "over", cant really have a normal converstaion at its worst.

As i said though - i think it would be better on an adsl solution - how much though , i cant say.

ipsar is satellite based - really solution of last resort but only choice out in the boonies.

I use the wifi phone instead of an ATA - a bad choice in retrospect would not suggest it.

Using the system i have here is a bit like using a ship to shore phone - if you have ever used that - it is usable if you can get people used to the delay. Sometimes I have to get people to say "over", cant really have a normal converstaion at its worst.

I know exactly what you mean, when I was in the Persian Gulf using the phone they provided us, I had to talk like I was on a radio set (talk, wait for response, talk, and hope the person I was talking to wasn't talking the same time I was) a pain but it's nice to call home.

The apartment I will be staying at has WiFi, but you can get a dedicated ADSL line. So it sounds like I'll be better off with a dedicated line.

Again, Thanks much :o

I know exactly what you mean, when I was in the Persian Gulf using the phone they provided us, I had to talk like I was on a radio set (talk, wait for response, talk, and hope the person I was talking to wasn't talking the same time I was) a pain but it's nice to call home.

The apartment I will be staying at has WiFi, but you can get a dedicated ADSL line. So it sounds like I'll be better off with a dedicated line.

Again, Thanks much :o

"Persian Gulf using the phone they provided us"

I think I know the "phones" you are talking about - if you can suffer that you'll be fine with vonage here - even on ipstar :D

I have made extensive use of the Vonage computer based softphone (on my laptop) not the USB V-Phone and had very good results. Some days I am on the phone many hours, and use it basically every day.

True in Bangkok was very good with the 1mpbs package, in Pattaya I have used TOT and TTNT. As for TOT forget it the upload is so bad no one will ever hear you in my experience. TTNT on the other had has been very good on there Premium 1024/512 package (the cheaper home packages say VOIP, torrent and international will not work as well and I have tried a Friends home and that is correct as there is allot more latency and it is much slower internationally even though it is rated for the same speeds.

The biggest complaint I hear is at certain times of the day that I am breaking up or VOIPing, this most often happens calling the west coast of North America and when there are other people on speaker phones and / or using a conference service.

I have also use it in wifi hot spots and via wireless at hotels, and it was "OK" but often had problems being heard clearly and even hearing them without a far bit of echo and packet loss.

I believe that most of the Vonage traffic will route back to CA or NJ in the US so a speed test to there will likely give you an indication of what to expect in terms of call quality.

• 1 year later...

During my searching for the VOIP solution i found

VOIPSIPSDK(.)com

which offering many Freature that include:

* Registrar support

* Dynamically loadable codecs

* SIP Proxy authentication

* Multi-party voice conference

* Play wav files into conversation

* Record conversation into file

* Hold/Retrieve call

* Forward Call (Blind Call Transfer)

* Transfer Call (Attended Transfer)

* Mute Sound

* Authorization Id

* Noise reduction

* Auto gain

And Many Other services they offer

many Available codecs:

* G.711-ALaw

* G.711-uLaw

* G.726 (16k 24k 32k 40k)

* G.729

* G.729A

* iLBC

* LPC-10

* Speex (Narrow, Wide)

* g723.1Before

Before I will Buy its Premier version I would like to get reviews from Peoples experience.

Here's Softphone screenShot

sip_scrshot.jpg