Prescription Drugs

peterarkle

Hello, hope someone can help? Is it possible to buy prescription drugs like Xanax, ativan, ambien, ristoril etc?

If so could you advise of where best to buy them, how much (ish) they cost ewtc?

I'm trying to buy them on the net but its very difficult to know who is legit and what you are getting.

Can you buy these drugs over the counter in Thailand or do you need a docs prescription?

Also, it would be real helpful if anyone knew the brand or gewneric names for these drugs in Thailand OR if anyone knows a reputable site that I could buy them on the net that ship to the UK?

Thanks very much

Pete :o

All of the medications that you have listed are controlled substances. You would have to get a prescription for them. Thailand's not Mexico. You would need to see at least a general practitioner, but most likely a psychiatrist.

See controlled substances list: http://www.thaiembdc.org/info/substances.doc

Just a friendly reminder Thailand has the DEATH PENALTY for drug trafficking.

Be very careful

GunnyD

Thanks for the advice. My enquiry is for personal use and as I haven't visited Thailand before I thought it may be moire relaxed with prescription meds -over the counter. As all the meds can be bought online (if its a legit siteand good pharmacist).

Would it be possible to have a private consultation with a Thai GP in order to be prescribed the meds? If so does anyoine advise a doc in BKK?

Thanks again folks

P

The drugs that you mention are prescription only medicines in the UK and I suspect that trying to import them would get you into a lot of trouble if you were to be caught. Please note that the forum rules do not allow discussion of illegal acts.

If you are a person that has a legitimate need for medications that are controlled, you should bring your original prescription bottle and documentation to show the doctor in Thailand. It has been noted elsewhere that if you do have medications that you take routinely that fall under the "Controlled" category, that you should get records from your doctor at home, then have it filled in-country. If not, you could get into BIG trouble at customs.

I always bring documentation with all of medications that my US doctor has me taking to avoid any misunderstandings with the locals. Whenever you travel abroad you should always have proper prescriptions. All SEA countries have a very dim view of drug trafficking. Most end with long imprisonment or a bullet to the back the head. :D

It's this kind of drug seeking idiocy that keeps people with a legitimate need from getting properly taken care of. :o

GunnyD

:edit: Note to Admins: I am in no way trying to encourage the illegal procurement of medications, but to discourage and educate. I totally understand you want this out of the forums.

Edited by gunnyd

• 2 weeks later...
All of the medications that you have listed are controlled substances. You would have to get a prescription for them. Thailand's not Mexico. You would need to see at least a general practitioner, but most likely a psychiatrist.

See controlled substances list: http://www.thaiembdc.org/info/substances.doc

Be very careful

GunnyD

Hello GunnyD

I have one prescription (possibly two) medication which will be important for daily use during my 6 month visit. It is (generic names for the antidepressant Wellbutrin) "Buproprion SR" or "Budeprion SR" (supposedly identical).

Another drug I might need (I HOPE NOT!) is "Lamotrigine", generic for Lamictal. I'd like to somehow verify these medications are available in Thailand and, if so, the approximate cost of each of the two. In the U.S., Lamictal is extremely expensive (about $6 per tablet, or $360 for a month's supply for me!), and that makes me worry if it is even more expensive in Thailand. [If I should be using a different forum or topic, please let me know]

Thank you.

Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is sold under the brand name Quomen in Thailand. Lamictal is distributed by GlaxoSmithKline in Thailand. There is no generic version of Wellbutrin-XR. And Lamictal is not available as a generic.

But you will find that medications, even name brand, are substantially cheaper in Thailand. If you are visiting Bangkok there are more pharmacies than you can shake a stick at. I would recommend Boots as a first choice. They are in pretty much every major mall in BKK. The pharmacy I use is the one inside the Villa Market on Sukhumvit Road near the Phrom Phong BTS station across from the Emporium Shopping Centre. They are very helpful and can order any medication that is sold in Thailand if they don't have it in stock. Watson's is also located in most major malls and shopping centres. I have found Boots to be more farang friendly than Watsons.

Hope this helps GunnyD

Yes, as Gunny said, both of these drugs are available over the counter in Thailand, but only the wellbutrin has a locally made generic equivalent (and this, not for ther sustained release form, which is what "SR" means. The difference lies in how often the drug has to be taken, non-SR form requires 2-3 times a day dosing). Lamictal is a patented import and will be only a little less expensive than in the US, since most of the imports here come fromEurope.

If your travels take you to Cambodia you might be able to get it there for less as unlike Thailand there are no import duties on pharmaceuticals.

Yes, as Gunny said, both of these drugs are available over the counter in Thailand, but only the wellbutrin has a locally made generic equivalent (and this, not for ther sustained release form, which is what "SR" means. The difference lies in how often the drug has to be taken, non-SR form requires 2-3 times a day dosing). Lamictal is a patented import and will be only a little less expensive than in the US, since most of the imports here come fromEurope.

If your travels take you to Cambodia you might be able to get it there for less as unlike Thailand there are no import duties on pharmaceuticals.

Thank you very much Gunny and Sheryl. This certainly rules out my use of Lamictal. If I should once again need it, I will consult with a psychiatrist for an alternate medication. There is always low-cost Lithium (for me, a last choice). Per your previous post, I will need a dr's prescription for another med I need daily anyway, clonozapam (Klonopin).

Thank you very much Gunny and Sheryl. This certainly rules out my use of Lamictal. If I should once again need it, I will consult with a psychiatrist for an alternate medication. There is always low-cost Lithium (for me, a last choice). Per your previous post, I will need a dr's prescription for another med I need daily anyway, clonozapam (Klonopin).

Sounds like you have Bipolar disorder. If so, have they tried you on valproic acid? Because it is available here over the counter, and works well for many people. However, I don't advise changing meds just before coming here or, for that matter, while here...best to come on a regimen that you know works for you and you are already stabilized on, even if it means bringing the meds (lableed and with accompanying doctor letter) with you. Psychiatry is one of the weaker suits for Thai medicine and Thailand (or for that matter any foreign ciountry) is not a good place to be in if things get out of control.

Sounds like you have Bipolar disorder. If so, have they tried you on valproic acid? Because it is available here over the counter, and works well for many people. However, I don't advise changing meds just before coming here or, for that matter, while here...best to come on a regimen that you know works for you and you are already stabilized on, even if it means bringing the meds (lableed and with accompanying doctor letter) with you. Psychiatry is one of the weaker suits for Thai medicine and Thailand (or for that matter any foreign ciountry) is not a good place to be in if things get out of control.

An astute observation. I have not previously been prescribed valproic acid, although I have read about it. I am glad to know it is available over the counter, just in case. I understand and agree with your remark about residing in Thailand, but there are reasons why I need to try. I certainly have concerns. Time will tell - and I will always be just one plane trip away from returning to the states if necessary. Thank you for your comments.

Anticonvulsant medications, such as valproate (Depakote®) distributed in generic form by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. based in India or carbamazepine (Tegretol®) distributed in generic form by Pharmasant based in Thailand, also can have mood-stabilizing effects and may be especially useful for difficult-to-treat bipolar episodes. Valproate was FDA-approved in 1995 for treatment of mania. - NIH

As Sheryl said bipolar disorder is something that needs to be treated as the life-long condition that it is. Best that you get together with your psychiatrist and get on a regimen that works for you before visiting the great LOS.

Best of luck to you,

GunnyD

Edited by gunnyd

• 3 months later...

Need help finding the generic Wellbutrin

Hello Gunny and Sheryl -

Just got back to the states after 3 wonderful months in Lopburi. Anyway, I wasn't able to find the locally-made generic for Wellbutrin (Bupropion). The pharmacist at a high-end drug store sold me "Quomem (Sustained Release)" for 1920 baht (60 tablets). These were produced by GlaxoKline and imported directly into Thailand. The pharmacist looked perplexed when I told her a generic equivalent was being produced in Thailand. Maybe she just wanted to sell me the expensive Glaxo version. I think you mentioned "Quomen" (note different spelling from the Quomem which I bought). Is the Quomen the generic version, and if so, where can I buy it when I return to Thailand next month? Thank you.

• 8 months later...
Hello Gunny and Sheryl -

Just got back to the states after 3 wonderful months in Lopburi. Anyway, I wasn't able to find the locally-made generic for Wellbutrin (Bupropion). The pharmacist at a high-end drug store sold me "Quomem (Sustained Release)" for 1920 baht (60 tablets). These were produced by GlaxoKline and imported directly into Thailand. The pharmacist looked perplexed when I told her a generic equivalent was being produced in Thailand. Maybe she just wanted to sell me the expensive Glaxo version. I think you mentioned "Quomen" (note different spelling from the Quomem which I bought). Is the Quomen the generic version, and if so, where can I buy it when I return to Thailand next month? Thank you.

I rechecked and seems I may have misspoken before, as the only form of bupropion I find listed as licensed in Thailand is Quomem by Glaxo, which is indeed an import and thus expensive.

• 3 months later...
Hello Gunny and Sheryl -

I rechecked and seems I may have misspoken before, as the only form of bupropion I find listed as licensed in Thailand is Quomem by Glaxo, which is indeed an import and thus expensive.

Anybody know where to get these:

ANIRACETAM

DRAGANON

AMPAPET

SARPLE

The names are different but it is the same drug.

I have tried all over and they do not seem to be available in Thailand.

Perhaps Thais have a different name for the drug........or perhaps there is a Thai equivalent.

Thanks for any input.

Paroxetine (Paxil) is available under brand name Seroxat and sold OTC in Thailand

Aniracetam if it is available at all would only be through a hospital and highly unlikely they will prescruibe it for other than treatment of dementia, i.e. you will not be able to obtain it for "enhancement" purposes.

• 11 months later...

"The pharmacist at a high-end drug store sold me "Quomem (Sustained Release)" for 1920 baht (60 tablets)."

Should got to a low-end drug store instead. I just got the same for 1000 baht exactly :)

• 1 year later...

See controlled substances list: http://www.thaiembdc.../substances.doc

Be very careful

GunnyD

Gee, your brilliant, must be a lawyer, THE DEATH PENALTY

• 11 months later...

I have been paying 10k baht for a 90 day supply of Plavix 10mg,Enapril 2.5 mg, Metoprolol 50mg, Simvastatin 10mg and am wondering if i am paying more than i should. The cardiologist i saw here in Nong Khai didnt impress me at all as he didnt even listen to my heart beat and left me wondering if the hospital i am going to is just after my money as they fill my prescriptions.

You are free to obtain medications (if not controlled for sale only by hospitals) at any facility so you might want to price at a drug store. You should also be able to obtain "detailed receipt" to show cost of each item from any hospital (even government) if you ask. There is no requirement that you buy your medications directly from the hospital.