Nightlife Crackdown

phuketsub

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Police raid Patong bars in Chalerm’s crackdown

PATONG: Last night’s police crackdown on Soi Bangla entertainment venues trading past 2 am was in response to an order by new Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung, Kathu Police chief Col Grissak Songmoonnak has confirmed.

Col Grissak, Superintendent of Kathu Police Station, told the Gazette today that he ordered the crackdown after Interior Minister Pol Capt Chalerm told police nationwide to get tough on nightclub operators as part of his new anti-drug campaign – or face the consequences.

Capt Chalerm’s order was also a topic at the monthly meeting of provincial government office heads chaired by Phuket Governor Niran Kalayanamit at Phuket Provincial Hall this morning.

The meeting was held in a new building, recently completed after two years of construction, that will be used for all future provincial government meetings.

At the meeting, Gov Niran explained that he had just returned from Bangkok, where he was told about the new anti-drug policies laid down by Interior Minister Chalerm.

Capt Chalerm threatened to punish police officers, district chiefs and other officials who failed to strictly enforce anti-drug measures at entertainment venues, Gov Niran said.

The strict enforcement is to ensure that all entertainment venues in areas such as Patong operate as required under their licenses and deny entry to anyone under 18 years of age, he said.

Venues operating without a license will be closed immediately and any licensed venues found breaking anti-drugs laws and admitting minors also face permanent closure under the tough new Interior Ministry policy, Gov Niran said.

Pheeraboon Thongsiriset, Chief of the Governor’s Office Development Planning Division, reported a rise in the use of ya bah (methamphatamines), marijuana, inhalants and krathom (an indigenous Thai plant that acts as a mild stimulant) in Phuket.

About 80% of the narcotics used in Phuket are either smuggled into Thailand through Sungai Kolok in Narathiwat or brought to the island from Phang Nga by car or boat, he added.

There will be a heavy police presence on the island tomorrow. After greeting Thaksin Shinawatra at Suvarnabhumi International Airport tomorrow morning, national police commissioner Gen Seripisut Temiyavej will fly to Phuket to attend two ceremonies, both in Mai Khao.

About 2 pm, Gen Seripisut will attend the handover of the police checkpoint at Tah Chat Chai.

The old police checkpoint will cease to operate and from tomorrow motorists coming onto the island will be directed to the new checkpoint beside the Mai Khao Tambon Administration Organization building.

At 3:37 pm Gen Seripisut will preside over the groundbreaking ceremony for construction of the new Police Region 8 headquarters, to replace the current headquarters in Surat Thani.

source: Phuket Gazette

Related news to above orginal post:

MiniVDO: Phuket keeps its anti-narcotic drugs campaign mobilized after the situation does not seem to improve for the last five months period.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://news.prd.go.th/news_detail.php?newsid=216372

The narcotic drug situation for the last five months of October 2007 to this month, February, is reported to be increasing. The drugs are mostly amphetamines, marijuana and inhalant substances. The information was reported to the monthly meeting of the provincial security meeting, chaired by Phuket Governor Nirun Kalayanamit. Also increasing arrest cases are for heroin and opium which are found in entertainment places while officials keep watch on ecstasy and cocaine. The authority has come up with four strategic plans for the first six months to combat the drugs with a budget of eight million baht.

MiniVDO: A suspect for amphetamine dealing was shot dead in Krabi.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://news.prd.go.th/news_detail.php?newsid=216371

Preecha Kruechan, age 45 years old, from Khao Panom district of Krabi was shot dead in his vehicle yesterday morning. His passenger, Pakajan Bunthop was injured and is being hospitalized. The incident occurred in front of the prison. Eye witnesses told police that the killers used three cars to force the victim’s vehicle over and one of the gang on back of a pick up fired at the victims. Police reported that both victims left the provincial court on the amphetamine possession charges. Police are still investigating the killing motive but are not leaving out illegal business deals.

MiniVDO: The stone laying ceremony for a new police bureau in Phuket will take place today.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://news.prd.go.th/news_detail.php?newsid=216375

The ground breaking ceremony for the new Region 8 Police command centre is scheduled to take place in Mai Khao near ThaChatchai in Phuket today. The Director-General of Police Pol. General Seripisut Themeyawes is due to attend the ceremony at 2 pm. The bureau is being re-located from Surat Thani to Phuket to cater for the island’s fast growing and international character. The Region 8 Police commander Pol. Lt. Gen. Thani Thavissri said the national police have allocated an initial budget of 170 million baht, 70 million baht for office building and another 100 million baht for the officers’ accommodation. It still needs another 70 million baht for a water supply system. The Police department is also doing community relations, talking with local villagers nearby and presenting their needs and concerns to the department.

Special - new Sino-Portuguese style building in Phuket Provincial Hall compound opened for meetings

To see or download mini-video, go to http://news.prd.go.th/news_detail.php?newsid=216368

The Phuket Provincial Hall building is a unique style of architecture for local buildings. And today the provincial hall has got another brand new building beside it, which maintains the same attractive architectural style. Our reporter went to explore the building:

This is a typical but not ordinary monthly meeting of head officials in Phuket. What is different is that time they have a meeting in a brand new building, located in the same compound of the existing one. The two storey building is spacious with two meeting rooms which can accommodate up to 200 people. The meeting yesterday was considered as a trial session for the new facility. At present 4 government departments have moved in to use the building. They include the provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, and Social Development and Human Stability Office. The governor Mr. Nirun Kalayanamit said the new building will also be used as command centre in case of any emergency. Built with a 28 million baht budget, the Sino-Portuguese attractive architectural style is worth following and maintaining, both internally and externally.

Meanwhile the almost 100 year old original building, built between 1907 and 1913, will remain in function and protection as usual. Its remarkable architecture earned it a preservation order from the Fine Arts Department in 1977. This beautiful building looked and acted the part as the French Embassy in the Oscar-winning movie ‘The Killing Fields’ in the early 1980s. Perhaps the new 2008 building will get a star role in future.

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) at 8.30am & local Cable TV channel 1 + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, & possibly FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket, Thursday 28 February 2008 & http://news.prd.go.th

Didn't think it would start again so fast... be aware everyone. I was in a place that was open after 2am during the last 'war' and it was one of the worst experiences of my life being arrested and drug tested and driven to Wachira Hospital and then back to Chalong Police station... I didn't even realise it was after 2am :o

absolutely hysterical... i and a thai gf had a wonderful time partying at a particular venue till around 5:30am Wednesday night/Thursday morning at the end of one somewhat gender-confusing soi... funny while brownshirts were shutting down most all we had a very friendly one at the door on our way stumbling out at around 5:30.

surprised to hear Safari got messed w/ and our little venue was unmolested... hel_l, there was open smoking of *** in the toilet for f*cks sake. graft and the holy baht continue to rule my favorite little banana republic, as always..

:/

The Boys in Brown were doing the rounds in Kamala last night also.. few bars were closed early. The bar I was drinking in, the thai owner quietly mentioned that if I was worried about getting my urine tested, I'd be better of leaving soon. They ended up closing the bar early as everyone was pretty jumpy about the impending visit and decided it was better to ship out home early than deal with the stress that would no doubt follow else.

Another weekend of no beer also... and I forgot to stock up my fridge... pants!$%#@!!!

Cheers,

//Bob

Edited by SurferBob

Large police contingent on Bangla...

On Saturday night, March 1, at about 11:00, I saw four or five truckloads of Thai police drive down Soi Bangla, stop in front of Soi Katoey, with lights flashing. About 20 policemen walked to the back of the soi. They were very orderly and respectful - not like they were trying to hassle anybody.

I have no idea what they were doing. But it was a very bizarre sight.

Large police contingent on Bangla...

On Saturday night, March 1, at about 11:00, I saw four or five truckloads of Thai police drive down Soi Bangla, stop in front of Soi Katoey, with lights flashing. About 20 policemen walked to the back of the soi. They were very orderly and respectful - not like they were trying to hassle anybody.

I have no idea what they were doing. But it was a very bizarre sight.

The bars were all supposed to be closed, as required by Election Commission law, for the Senate Election the following day...