Philippines For A Week Or Two

Cebu Pacific have reasonable flight deals on at the moment and I'm tempted to go to the Philippines for a couple of weeks - is it worth a visit? I've had a quick google and a look at some old threads on here, and it seems as if it's a lively place to say the least. Is it as "wild west-ish" as it sounds? Is it reasonably safe for a solo traveller?

Cheers

Cebu Pacific have reasonable flight deals on at the moment and I'm tempted to go to the Philippines for a couple of weeks - is it worth a visit? I've had a quick google and a look at some old threads on here, and it seems as if it's a lively place to say the least. Is it as "wild west-ish" as it sounds? Is it reasonably safe for a solo traveller?

Cheers

As long as you stay in the central islands "The Visayas" you should be alright. Cebu and Bohol are both good choices. It would be better to know someone there. Yes it is a bit wild, but Westerners are considered "safe" in the central islands. US State Department Travel Advisory for the Philippines

Cebu is a decent place to stay and Bohol is a short ferry ride from Cebu.

GunnyD

Dirty, violent, over-priced, child beggars too numerous to count. I found it VERY upsetting on both trips and wont put myself through that anymore. With so many wonderful other places to visit there is no need to retort to it.

IMO only!

Dirty, violent, over-priced, child beggars too numerous to count. I found it VERY upsetting on both trips and wont put myself through that anymore. With so many wonderful other places to visit there is no need to retort to it.

IMO only!

Where was this? Manila? You can't say that about the central islands. I have been many times to the Visyan Islands mainly Cebu City Naga on the Island of Cebu, and Bohol. They are great places to visit and stay.

Now Luzon and the Metro Manila area are another story. I only go there under security of my brother in-law. Yes Manila is filthy, gritty, and dangerous. And if you go down to Zamboanga Del Norte you have to watch out for the Abu Sayyef Group. They like to kidnap Westerners.

But you can't paint an entire country because of some bad areas. There are Muslim terror groups in Thailand. I wouldn't go out at night in Detroit, Oakland, Miami, New York City, South Los Angeles, and many other places including parts of my home in Phoenix, AZ.

And as for being expensive, it is about the same as staying in BKK.

GunnyD

Edited by gunnyd

First time was in Angeles where I cut short my trip because of aforementioned. Second time was on Cebu but found it to be dirty, food poor, evident violence and temper of people easily inflamed compared to the average Thai, plus many many child beggars which upset me greatly.

Yes my opinion - but thats what the OP requests!

However, I do recommend to go visit and get your own experience! :o

Info for the OP:

I admittedly am biased on the subject of the Philippines. I am married to a Filipina and have relatives in Cebu and Manila. Definitely stay away from Angeles City it is one of the worst barrios in Manila.

In Cebu, as long as you stay out of the slums you will be fine. All the locals I have met have been friendly to me and I am about as white as it gets. I never feared for my safety in Cebu or Bohol. In fact IMHO they have first class beaches and resorts comparable to anywhere in SEA.

Philippine tourist info from iTravel Philippines

Info on Cebu

Best place to stay in Cebu: Plantation Bay

Info on Bohol

The place to stay in Bohol: Bohol Beach Club

The resorts I listed are 5 star.

And I highly recommend them both.

You also can find good hotels further into the city for less money. The Montebello Villa Hotel comes to mind. That's where I base myself when in Cebu.

Have fun surfing their websites.

GunnyD

Cheers

For a "lively" time head to Angeles City. Reasonable prices and 'friendly' girls...lots and lots of girls!

I lived and worked in PI for 5 years and despite the inevitable moans an groans that we all have with any Asian country, it's worth a visit.

The old adage of "one man's meat is another man's poison" would fit PI very well. Some love it, others hate it. I personally had a love hate relationship with both the place and the people.

It's worth a looksee.

I travel regularly to PI and , compared with Thailand i don't know of any places there that would justify your trip. Everything and much more you will find in Thailand for a lot less money. If you feel you need some fresh air, maybe a trip to Penang (malaysia) could do a lot better then PI ... If you stil want to get to PI, then maybe you could make a jump to Tagatay which is 60 km from Manila and is clean, rather safe and not too expensive. Bohol is reasonable also, but expensive and nothing more then (nice) beaches. Manila is the end of the world... be careful there if you are westerner (= white skin!)

Info for the OP:

I admittedly am biased on the subject of the Philippines. I am married to a Filipina and have relatives in Cebu and Manila. Definitely stay away from Angeles City it is one of the worst barrios in Manila.

Angeles City is not in Manila.

I stand corrected. :o

It is outside of Manila and the home of Subic Bay and Clark Air Base, US bases that are now closed. Angeles City is where many members of the US military get their introduction to the Philippines, and is not representative of the country. You put a US base anywhere in the world and you end up with a ghetto full of sleazy bars, rampant prostitution, and crime. If that's your thing than go. But you will miss the great things that a visit to the Philippines has to offer.

It would amount to spending an entire trip to LOS in the Patpong district, made famous by US soldiers who took R&R in Thailand during the Vietnam conflict.

GunnyD

^Angeles City in Pampanga is home to the old Clark Air Base used by the US Air Force.

Olongapo City in Zambales (which is about 50 kms further west), on the other hand was home to the old Subic Naval Base, used by the US Navy.

Both bases were abandoned sometime in 1990 after the treaty b/w the US and RP expired and the Senate rejected it's extension. A natural disaster - the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo - hastened the departure of the US servicemen.

Since then, both of these places (I mean the old bases) have been converted into an industrial and eco tourism hub. The Clark Air Base has now been converted to an international airport servicing regional budget airlines. The Subic Naval base has been converted into a economic zone with some reserved areas devoted for promoting ecotourism and motorsports.

Thanks to GunnyD and freebird for sharing good experiences in your visits to RP. Sorry about the bad rep the others got.

I think i posted something to another thread about RP. You can't argue much about the crime and the grime in the cities but i would entice would-be tourists who like some kind of adventure to try it. RP is comprised of more than 7000 islands, each one of these is geologically diverse, giving you some breathtaking sceneries not otherwise easily spotted on a place as geologically stable as Thailand. Plus, I can guarantee, the people are more easily approachable because English is like a second language there.

Hope this helps.

Having lived in the Phil for 7 yrs, I feel qualified to say that the Phil is just about as safe as LOS...once you get out of the cities and bar towns. Angeles is like Pattaya, Manila is like BKK and the rest of the country is mostly safe. I even traveled [alone] into the [so called] danger zone of the south...Cotabato, Zamboanga, Davao and never felt a threat.

But you will find the phil so much less touristic than LOS....they just don't have the basics down...like clean toilets, clean food and pollution everywhere. I think the annual tourist arrivals is only a little above 1 million visitors, compared with LOS at 60+ mil/yr but you will see Friendly people and beautiful available girls, just like here.

Go for it and report back.....

Having lived in the Phil for 7 yrs, I feel qualified to say that the Phil is just about as safe as LOS...once you get out of the cities and bar towns. Angeles is like Pattaya, Manila is like BKK and the rest of the country is mostly safe. I even traveled [alone] into the [so called] danger zone of the south...Cotabato, Zamboanga, Davao and never felt a threat.

But you will find the phil so much less touristic than LOS....they just don't have the basics down...like clean toilets, clean food and pollution everywhere. I think the annual tourist arrivals is only a little above 1 million visitors, compared with LOS at 60+ mil/yr but you will see Friendly people and beautiful available girls, just like here.

Go for it and report back.....

Angeles or Pattaya ?.... Angeles gets the vote for me every time !!!!

Manila, dont bother. If your looking for beaches and you have the time, fly to Boracay.

I always say the best thing about living in Thailand, is being 3 hours away from the Philippines ! :o

• 4 weeks later...

Philippines is a dump

No culture at all

even US has more

Food is even worse and yes it is way more dangerous than thailand

Kidnapping along with terror attacks and just basic crime are very possible

give it a miss if at all possible

sure theer are some nice beaches but loads of countries have that

but others like thailand mange to co mbine them with nice food and culture

I went to the Phils early tjis year and was shocked by it all, (poverty, grime, crime etc)

will not go back in a hurry thats for sure

it depends on what kind of a traveler you are, and why you want to go to the philippines.

if you are the "regular" type who likes a smooth no-hassle vacation with the conveniences of modern facilities (like in bkk), then philippines is not such a good option. you are better off with other places in thailand (or maybe malaysia, singapore) which are more tourist friendly, cheaper, better food and living standards.

but then for tourists who are adventurous, who like to experience culture (not necessarily better, but different), see a different kind of southeast asian beauty (not necessarily the women), who do not mind some third world facilities every now and then (toilets, infrastructure) then the country is worth visiting. but like in other places, it pays to do your homework. definitely, manila is a riot, unless you want to experience the nightlife (stay in makati area).

but up north, there is the banaue (ba-na-we) rice terraces with friendly people (used to westerners), baguio city (mild climate), central philippines as some have already pointed out here, is cleaner and less busy, lots of good beaches. but basically, it is the people which fascinate the visitors most...messed up, confusing, but definitely interesting and know how to enjoy life. hopefully you get to stay long enough to know how fun they can be.

and if people stare at you, don't be scared. they are not out to kidnap you. they just don't see too many tourists around. they are just as fascinated with you.

tip: some westerners would wear a cap (for too blond a hair) and maybe a long sleeved shirt if they don't want to look too noticeable.

p.s. am not an expert on the "ladies" department so i will leave this to the others... but yes, that should not be a problem.

I haven't been but all the research I've done has thrown up nothing to make me want to go. I know some guys who go and some who are going because it is cheaper than Thailand in some areas for certain things given the USD/THB depreciation.

Apart from people saying the food is garbage and a lot of the country is a shithole the only positive thing is that more people speak English.

I'm sure there are nice places but I've never found sufficient reason to go find out. If I wanted a trip from LOS, I'd perhaps go back to Vietnam or just about anywhere else.