Air Asia Sydney-kll-bkk

zorro1

Has anyone flown Air Asia international Australia to KLL and Then BKK? You cant book direct to BKK so What happens with your luggage at KLL while your organising your next flight. Can you book The KLL-BKK leg via Internet and ask them to transfer your bags whilst in transit?

Edited by zorro1

I fly regularly on Air Asia from Gold Coast to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur (KUL) LCCT (low cost carrier terminal).

Air Asia departs Gold Coast Airport (OOL) on Tue, Thu & Sat at 8.40am; Sun at 9.35pm. Because Air Asia is a point-to-point airline, you check in at Gold Coast, pas through Immigration at KUL, collect your bags (plenty of free trolleys). Go out into the humid air, drop into McDonalds for a feed and then walk out of McDonalds into Departures.

Check your bags onto the KUL-BKK flight, walk through Immigration and into the boarding lounge.

You must allow a minimum of 3 hours in KUL, so you end up catching FD3574, departs KUL 8.35pm, gets into Suvarnabhumi at 9.35pm.

You have to transfer your bags yourself at KUL.

You can catch the first Virgin Blue flight of the day, DJ503, which departs SYD at 7.05am and arrives at Gold Coast Airport at 7.25am (thanks to Daylight Saving).

Just a thought - Daylight Saving ends 3am on 6 April. Have you considered flying Jetstar to Melbourne and then flying Jetstar from Melbourne to BKK direct?

I think the fares would be about the same and you would save a lot of time (no 3 hour wait at KUL).

Peter

Thanks for a extremely helpful reply. I did check out jetstar but they were booked out. The 3 hour delay is a bitch though but they are half the price of Thai air on the dates I want to go. By the way Is a 1 hour check in enough at the gold coast end?

Edited by zorro1

Two years ago, I messed aboout with Virgin Blue to Brisbane from Melbourne - terrible airline.

In two weeks we are going to Melbourne and flying Thai direct - so much easier, especially with kids and the price isn't that much more.

Two years ago, I messed aboout with Virgin Blue to Brisbane from Melbourne - terrible airline.

In two weeks we are going to Melbourne and flying Thai direct - so much easier, especially with kids and the price isn't that much more.

I have a gold card with Thai and Im flying one way in April $800 Thai v Air asia $250 +$75 to BKK. And i dont like air asia much buts a big price difference

Edited by zorro1

I just brought up the airfares SYD to BKK for anybody who is interested. All fares are return and include all taxes and charges. All departures and arrivals for later in March this year.

Jetstar: $AUD1189 - via Melbourne, about a 3 hour transit in Melbourne. Pay extra for meals & entertainment inflight.

Singapore Airlines: $AUD1254 - via Singapore's Changi Airport. Full service, about 2 hours transit in Singapore.

Air Asia: $AUD1038 (Gold Coast to BKK via KUL) & around $AUD159 for a Virgin Blue SYD-OOL-SYD fare. Pay extra for all luggage and meals.

Thai Airways: $AUD861 - Thai have just released a fare with lots of restrictions, but if you have definite travel dates, get in now. Direct flight - no stop-overs. Full service airline, meals included. May be lucky and get a new plane or an old one.

Peter

Peter

I have a gold card with Thai and Im flying one way in April $800 Thai v Air asia $250 +$75 to BKK. And i dont like air asia much buts a big price difference

Wow, that is a big difference - I could have saved a lot for the 4 of us. :o , still it's lot less convenient.

Neeranam: I think you will find the Air Asia $250 +$75 to BKK quoted in the previous post are one-way and do not include taxes and charges. You will only score a 'cheap' Air Asia fare from Gold Coast to BKK if you book at least 3 months in advance. Then you have to factor in NO luggage allowance and you have to buy your meals & drinks.

Peter

Neeranam: I think you will find the Air Asia $250 +$75 to BKK quoted in the previous post are one-way and do not include taxes and charges. You will only score a 'cheap' Air Asia fare from Gold Coast to BKK if you book at least 3 months in advance. Then you have to factor in NO luggage allowance and you have to buy your meals & drinks.

Peter

wrong its quoted in oz dollars 112 aud + taxes 1st week in April

l dont know if this is any help ,,, l am flying Thaiair BKK to Melb on the 1st of August and return Brisbane to BKK on the last of Aug ,,,, 33,000 baht ,,, l have found agents are cheaper than online bookings (only my experience)

cheers

egg

Zorro1: I stand corrected - but cheapest Air Asia fare OOL-KUL I could find in the 1st week in April is $AUD329 one-way but $AUD222 KUL-OOL.

egg: I hope you haven't booked and paid for your August ticket yet. On Thai Airways website just now, they have released some fares they call Thai Saver - Special Excursion Economy Class Most Restricted. MEL-BKK return (all inclusive) is $AUD710.00 (about 21,051 baht at today's rates). They also have Thai Saver Plus - Special Economy Refundable at $AUD845. These tickets are available if you are a bit flexible in your travel plans (willing to leave up to 3 days either side of your nominated travel dates).

Peter

Zorro1: I stand corrected - but cheapest Air Asia fare OOL-KUL I could find in the 1st week in April is $AUD329 one-way but $AUD222 KUL-OOL.

egg: I hope you haven't booked and paid for your August ticket yet. On Thai Airways website just now, they have released some fares they call Thai Saver - Special Excursion Economy Class Most Restricted. MEL-BKK return (all inclusive) is $AUD710.00 (about 21,051 baht at today's rates). They also have Thai Saver Plus - Special Economy Refundable at $AUD845. These tickets are available if you are a bit flexible in your travel plans (willing to leave up to 3 days either side of your nominated travel dates).

Peter

my mistake also its actually April 10th 2nd week and seats still available . Also how bizarre is this, a travel agent here in BKK shows me 98,000 bht 1 way Sydney -bkk on the same date ECONOMY. No way would she listen to me about Internet airfares

Edited by zorro1

You must allow a minimum of 3 hours in KUL

Pete, explain must please? Is it an immigration requirement, or just common sense to allow for late arrival, immigration, baggage collection etc.?

I arrive AA-X at KUL 1510, and have snaffled an AA flight onward to BKK departing 1845, is there a problem with this?

PS My AA-X flight (for Songkran) cost $1050 including 15kgs, meals and kits, seat allocation and the XL seat. It worked out $80 cheaper to book two x one way flights (one leg charged in aussie dollars, and one leg charged in Malay ringets), as opposed to a return flight (calculated wholly in Aussie Dollars).

Edited by jingjoe

You must allow a minimum of 3 hours in KUL

Pete, explain must please? Is it an immigration requirement, or just common sense to allow for late arrival, immigration, baggage collection etc.?

I arrive AA-X at KUL 1510, and have snaffled an AA flight onward to BKK departing 1845, is there a problem with this?

Relax no problem. your 3 hrs AND 35mins why are you worried? thats plenty of time unless you have a late departure

I'm totally relaxed, but I would like an answer from Pete, since he's the one telling the story.

The question is simple... is Pete's reference to "must" some kind of Malay visa requirement or not?

As a regular international flyer with Air Asia, thru KUL(LCCT)

That airport would be the fastest immigration desks I have had the pleasure of using.

There is No "MUST" to worry about. Do not get ya nickers in a twist.

Kiwis dun need visas, I guess aussies are the same.

It is a simple, small airport, good sign posting, very efficient.

Just grab ya bags, have a snack before boarding the next flite, as food sold on flite is appalling.

Better waiting area if you go airside asap, instead of waiting outside.

Good idea, I always pay a few RMs for priority boarding.

No seats are allocated, ya get to choose from whole aircraft. Those XL seats may be diff, neva bothered.

Flights from LCCT are geherally very good for time.

I call AA, tomorrows airline, on short commuter flites they are normally late, much to my benefit a few times.

I had been put on earlier flites than booked, rather than wait on a flite running late. :o

I'm totally relaxed

Do not get ya nickers in a twist.

No seats are allocated, ya get to choose from whole aircraft. Those XL seats may be diff, neva bothered.

You've never flown AA-X in other words?

Peter991, (the real pete), please explain what YOU meant by must.

Edited by jingjoe

What peter991 means is that one should allow plenty of time for transit procedures.Transit times for full service airlines are normally 2 hours, in KL you have to clear immigration and customs on arrival and then check in again clearing immigration. You have check-in times as per AAs website, would advise that you read the conditions of carriage as per their website carefully.

Peter

thanks for that Peter ,,,, no l haven't paid as yet ,,, and am trying to track down the specials now ,,, does it include taxes etc ?? ,,,, its bloody cheap if it does,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,l am having a bit of trouble finding anything about it Peter ,,,, where on Thai homepage do l look ??

cheers

egg

Peter

thanks for that Peter ,,,, no l haven't paid as yet ,,, and am trying to track down the specials now ,,, does it include taxes etc ?? ,,,, its bloody cheap if it does,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,l am having a bit of trouble finding anything about it Peter ,,,, where on Thai homepage do l look ??

cheers

egg

I received a flyer online that had cheap fares to BKK, from OZ.

Forget which it was, it was an Ockor agency.

Just a thought, check out travel agents.

I normally fly Thai, sometimes travel agents have access to fares that are NOT online.

Last trip, for a change, I looked up Royal Brunei, nuffin doing to AKL - BWN - BKK and BKK - BWN - AKL

My cuzzie who is a travel agent found a RB fare, 250 bucks less than Thai.

Which I took, NO BOOOOOZE...... woe was me.......LOL

It was not available online. The beauty of RB, is no charge to change return dates.

That months trip finished up 3 months.

Check ya local friendly Travel Agent.

If I find that online flyer, I'll get back.

Edited by Zpete

Never flown with Air Asia. May give them a try sometime just to see what it is like flying budget for 8 hours....

Give it a go its great truly and sure its got a few drawbacks as one would expect such as, expensive crap food, $6 for a glass of crap wine, no blankets, no entertainment, poor legroom and a 3 hour overlay , but it does have a couple of jets bolted to wings and it well get you there.