6 Months For Fiancee Visa To Usa?

I met my Thai GF on Thaikisses.com in January, we chatted for 6 weeks, then I went to visit her in BKK. I stayed for a few weeks, we got along great, and I gave her a ring and asked her to marry me. She has never been married, and has been at the same white collar job in BKK for 13 years. She has no criminal record.

I would like to bring her to the USA, and if she likes it here, we will make this our permanent residence and apply for a green card for her. However, it seems that even with good credentials, she will have to wait 4 – 6 months for a fiancée Visa according to the Thai lawyer she contacted, and the lawyer will cost $1800US but they will help her each step of the way. Is a lawyer worth the money, and will it take any less time to get a fiancee visa if we use a lawyer? And as far as getting her permanent residency in the USA, is it a tough process? I want to do everything legally because I want her to be able to go back to Thailand once a year to visit family.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by rideswings

Unless you find normal government documents difficult, the lawyer would be a waste of money. A lawyer cannot speed up things for the visa. Maybe prevent you from making a mistake that causes a problem, but not speed up the normal process.

My guess on the fiance visa is more like 9-12 months before she gets the visa.

Getting a green card in the US is not hard once she gets to the US and you get married. Getting the visa is the hard part.

I've heard up to 12 months mentioned frequently as well, but that's more if it's a immigrant visa K-3 (where u marry her in Thailand first). I also suspect that a lawyer is unnecessary, the US website walks you through the process fairly straightforwardly; then again I have gotten helpful info from lawyers that I couldn't find on the website. I believe most fiance visas are approved anyway if u competently fill out the paperwork, which is why the lawyers can boast 99% success rates. If the K-1 is denied, I suspect there'd be Constitutional issue with not granting a K-3. But I'm not sure. Odd isn't it that thai girls are viewed as such a hazard that you have to definitively marry her and wait a year to even see her, and may get denied altogether? "Don't Tread on Me" has become more like "OK, tread on me if the whim of a bureacratic office thinks it's necessary"

Edited by RY12

Thank you jstumbo and RY12 for your answers. I am pretty shocked to find this out, I thought she could be over here pretty quickly, but that is simply not the case.

I guess my next question is this... is there anywhere near the USA that a Thai person can just buy a ticket to and go? As an American, I just pick where I want to go and then travel, I never worry about Visa problems. But Thais seem to have issues with travel. My fiancee visited China a few years ago, and she didnt need a visa to go there.

As a last resort, I would consider flying her over to Mexico, live with her there until her USA Visa is approved, and then come to the USA. I have been thinking about spending some time in Mexico for a long time, and that might be a temporary solution if they dont have strict visitor rules...

Thanks.

Wait times right now are 6-7 months for fiancee visa to USA. I filed in mid September and her interview is in a couple of weeks.

Your fiancee can go to a variety of countries near Thailand. China, Cambodia, India (visas required but easy to get). Visas not required for Vietnam, Hong Kong ...... If you can go some where and live with her why don't you go to THAILAND??? Maybe try to learn about her culture. Meet the family..learn some Thai? I think that would be a wiser decision plus I think Thailand is waaaay cooler. Living in Thailand has been great and now that I know my GF so much better I am not exactly sure I want to marry her :o

Good Luck!

Heiko, thanks for your response. I have spent a few months in Thailand since last year, and I know what Thailand is like and love its culture. But I cant live there because I have a minor daughter who lives in the USA, and I cant be away for too long. So my Gf agreed to move to the USA so we can be together. We will probably end up applying for a fiancee Visa and just waiting the long wait. And I will probably end up coming back to BKK a few more times until she is able to come here. Oh well, so much for the USA's policy of "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." Yeah you can come to tHE usa, you just have to wait forever.

As far as an alternate to the USA, I've checked this out somewhat. It appears as if Mexico's tourist visa requires proof of financial assets of the lady, which is code for 'get the f-ck out unless ur a 50 year old business executive' so that's unlikely to work for you (or me)... however the Mexican Embassy in Singapore told me a credit card number was sufficient to show this proof if we were married, whether or not my credit card would suffice for the lack of my lady's is another question. I would greatly appreciate if anyone reading this in Bangkok could go talk to the Mexcian Embassy and straighten out what's required for tourist visas, married and unmarried couples, as their phone lines are perpetually down and they don't answer email.

Guatamala will admit her, but it's gonna be pricey to find a flight there from Thailand that doesn't transit through the US ( mexico allows transfers visa-free) ...Japan Air has flights direct from Tokyo to Tijuana I believe. Belize, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, British Virgin Islands all require financial assets of Thais to be admitted. Cuba or Haiti and commutes to Miami might work.

Oh well, so much for the USA's policy of "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." Yeah you can come to tHE usa, you just have to wait forever.

Welcome to the angry Americans club! Check out this video, it lays out that the words "Give me your tired, etc." were clearly written "thousands of years ago": http://www.theonion.com/content/video/immi..._the_human_cost

RY - that video ws really funny! Im still laughing about it.

It sounds like youve been down this road before, so Im going to go with my gut instinct that says I should visit Thailand a few more times while her Visa is in the works to make sure I want to get married...

Thanks again.

RY - that video ws really funny! Im still laughing about it.

It sounds like youve been down this road before, so Im going to go with my gut instinct that says I should visit Thailand a few more times while her Visa is in the works to make sure I want to get married...

Thanks again.

That's the cheapest and easiest option. However your if your girl has had that good job for a while and money in the bank, she might be able to get that mexican or the canadian visa. I'd still like to know more about Mexico's tourist visa; again, anyone reading this who can visit the Mexican embassy in BKK, your info would be greatly appreciated. You are lucky my friend, I don't get out of school for another 2 years, so as long as I'm a student I can't get jack-squat, no US visa for her at all. So I'm looking at another 3 years until i can live with her in a regular fasion, until then only seeing her twice or thrice a year, at great personal expense.

As above said, a lawyer cannot speed up things for the visa, but only help you prepare the document. I and my boyfriend do it ourselve. I am now counting down for the interview date, not too long now. :o

Here is my timeline;

17 Sep 2007 : 129F Sent

02 Sep 2007 : NOA1

04 Oct 2007 : Touched

05 Oct 2007 : The check has hit the bank

11 Jan 2008 : NOA2 (email)

14 Jan 2008 : Touched

17 Jan 2008 : NVC Received

18 Jan 2008 : NVC Left

21 Jan 2008 : Consulate Received

30 Jan 2008 : Packet 3 Received

04 Feb 2008 : Sent back to The Embassy

05 Feb 2008 : The Embassy Received

05 Feb 2008 : NOA2 (hardcopy)

18 Feb 2008 : Packet 4 Received

23 Apr 2008 : ***Interview Date*** YAY!!!

In 1988 my wife recieved her fiance visa in two months. At the time they told me the same thing all of you are saying. She knew someone from college who worked in the consulate, who she said helped move her application along, and I sent all of my paperwork from the states Fedex. We did use an attorney to go to the embassy with her for her filing, and it was pretty cheap....and a good investment I think.

So, just to let you know, it can happen faster. Just make sure you have all of your paperwork in order and keep checking in every week or two by phone.

Good luck to all of you, it's been twenty years for us and the smartest thing I ever did in my life !

I married a Thai woman years back. I got her to the USA using the K1 Fiance visa which took over a year from the time I submitted the first paperwork until she set foot on US soil... The paperwork is not dificult and as everyone else stated a lawyer is a waste of $$$... That is unless you cannot follow instructions to the absolute point and definition. It can seem overwhelming and I would compare it with doing a USA tax return (long form) x 4.....

I will tell you this much from experience, when she is granted the interview, which most are, it is highly recomended that you appear at the interview with her in BKK... This will help your chances of her being granted the visa. It isn't so much about who she is and who you are but more about how much and how long you both have known each other. Meeting on the Internet and only meeting once for a few weeks does not cut it with the folks passing out visas. They want to see that it will be a long term relationship and you two have known each other for more than a few weeks and various nights of chatting through a computer. When we went for my wife's interview, there were about 10 other girls there on the same day. My wife and only one other were granted visas. The other girls went away from the windows crying. The other girl that was granted the visa also had her fiance with her.

The officer who interviewed us did so separately. He had me sit down while he spoke with and questioned my wife. When he was done with her he had her sit down as he questioned me. When it was all over and she was granted the visa we then went outside. During that time we asked each other what the officer had asked, and we found out he asked us both the exact same questions trying to find out how much we really knew about each other. He asked about the name of the company I worked for. How many times I had came to Thailand. How we met. How many brothers and sisters each of us had. Even what did her sister do for work. Asked if I had met her parents. Asked about her goals in the USA if she were granted a visa. He went as far as asking where I was staying at during that visit and even what room I was in.....(odd) etc. etc. etc....

It was very easy for us because we met about three years prior on one of my many business trips to BKK... I had been to Thailand about 15 times before her interview and each time I spent with her when I was not working. I had met her parents in Surin a few times and spent as much as 45 days during one trip......

Make sure you know the girl and she knows you... This along with being present during the interview will make her chances for a visa much better. Good luck (Choke dee)

It is not a quick process. It took me 6 months to get her fiance visa. I was in BKK at the time and like dingdong says above, being there for the interview is really important. I met another American there who was marring a hard core bar girl from Soi Cowboy...and they got a visa...but broke up within a year.

www.visajourney.com is great as is www.immigrationportal.com. I used visajourney and did all the paperwork myself. It is really not that hard, just lots of forms and documents. And it don't stop until after she becomes a citizen. Lots of stuff to fill out. visajourney leads you through it all the way.

My wife passed her citizenship exam 3 weeks ago and has her oath ceremony in 3 weeks. We can't wait! Travel is a bitch with a Thai passport. We have been to Mexico 2 times and both times they required her Green Card. Her passport was looked at briefly and then given back. The GC is what got her in (we drove there). Same with Nicaragua. Panama and Costa Rica are easy if you have a GC. We just got back from 2 months down there.

If you are thinking about Mexico, why don't you just visit her in Thailand? Yes, the flight is longer and more expensive, but Thailand is much cheaper than Mexico...and much more fun to be there than Mexico. I have spent about 6 months in Mexico over the past few years and like Thailand much better. Plenty of flights from Thailand to the US and she can stay there and continue to work...something to think about...

Best of luck!!!!

Craig

Thanks again for all the great advice and stories. Ok, so I have decided to wait and bring her over on a fiance visa. I will go back to BKK to visit for 2 months at the end of April, meet her family, and maybe get a short term apartment there instead of staying at a hotel. I would stay with her, but she lives in a studio and I think I would lose my mind if I had to live there with her, in the USA I have a 5 bedroom house. So I will look for a 2 bedroom apartment near her place and near the skytrain in BKK.

I would like any suggestions of things I might begin to do to prepare to send in the forms and wait for the interview which might be 6-9 months away from what posters have said. I might bypass the lawyer, although I find professional advice to be worth its money sometimes. Also, what can I do after submitting the paperwork? Aside from getting to know more about her, and start to get her ready to move to the USA in 6 - 9 months, does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

I have helped 3 people get K1 visas. In each case everything went smooth....What I find is people read the instructions, then ask "do I need to have this??" YES. File it in exactly the order it is listed on the instructions.....(Not required, but show the person reviewing the paperwork you are organized).

Also talk with the American Embassy and see if you can get a package for her to start filling out.

Phone records

Letter

Photographs together

copies of emails

all the above are important in establishing the longer the paper trail the better.

You mentioned a daughter so you have probably been married before. You will need a certified copy of the divorce or death certificate for each prior marriage.

Read through the sites that were mentioned above to get an idea of the documentation. Download the K1 application and read and highlight each item that is required and then start now. There is a lot of paperwork

She will need to sign the Bio for her and you will need to subit one as well.

Best of luck, and if she can get a jump start on her paperwork, then she can apply for an interview that much quicker.

Edited by old wanderer

As above said, a lawyer cannot speed up things for the visa, but only help you prepare the document. I and my boyfriend do it ourselve. I am now counting down for the interview date, not too long now. :o

Here is my timeline;

I have been through this process since Oct 5 and just mailed back Packet 3 on March 22nd. I am expecting, per online discussion with the Consular Sections, US Embassy, that the next communication will be the interview date. Can you tell me, what is Packet 4 that you referred to? Is that the notice of the Interview date?

BTW, for those interested, I hired a US attorney to ensure the process was not hindered by mistakes....given that it takes so long. The attorney has had great advice and therefore very helpful. It is the little strategic things to add to your filings that are not required but may have added credibility to your application (we'll see if that does make a difference soon). Is it worth the $2,000 for peace of mind? For me, yes. And I am a CPA and prepare government documents regularly :D I do not want to wait longer than I have to......

Edited by jmapodaca

Go to a book store or Amazon.com and buy "Fiance & Marriage Visas" by Llona Bray, 4th addition Nolo Books. Or go to Nolo.com and look for this book.

Has all the forms, how to fill them out, what to expect etc etc.

Very useful.

Chai yen yen, chill out. What's the rush? The government makes you go through hoops for a reason. They want to see you really know what you are getting into. I have been living with my Thai girl friend in Thailand for going on two years. I had to get her divorced from her Malaysian dead beat husband, that took almost a year, now under Thai law she is not truely divorced for one year from the time the divorce papers were signed and changed her name back to her family name. That also took time and money to go visit her family and get the family book to get a new Thai ID card. Then apply for a new passport. Still waiting to even be able to appy for a fiance visa. I have thought about trying to get her a tourist visa as I have a house, car etc in Thailand and in California, but spend most of the year in Thailand. I know two friends that have helped their girl friend's get 10 year 6 month visas. I guess it is on a case by case bases. Both guys I know wrote cover letters and have a business in Thailand and they where at the interview. I'm on a retirement visa in Thailand, so I'm not too sure they would grant us one. But we will try when I get back in June... I also have two friends that got their wives the fiance visa and married them in the USA before filing Thai marrage papers and they said it was easier that way. They both used an attorney and it still took about a year. Good things in life takes time or you may find that you didn't really know what you are getting into... Good luck!

Edited by Jimi007

FYI: I submitted the I-129 ( first step in getting Fiancee visa) on January 14th and received approval on March 31. I was thinking it would take a lot more time but I guess I got lucky or perhaps it is because I had a cover letter with a list of all included items. I read over the required items carefully and made sure everything was there. I listed each item and then put in order with POST-ITs on each. Basically I made it so easy for the person reviewing this the first time so to think " This will take about a minute to review ".

I am now waiting for my Fiancee to receive packet 3. Hopefully the remaining process will not take too long. I lived in Thailand for 13 years and we have been together for 10. She has a college degree and can read write and speak great english. I am currently working a new job ( 5 months now) in the US and will not be able to come over for the interview. This concerns me but hopefully all will work out. Anyone's Fiancee get a visa without them being there for the interview ??

Good luck.

Here is my timeline;

I have been through this process since Oct 5 and just mailed back Packet 3 on March 22nd. I am expecting, per online discussion with the Consular Sections, US Embassy, that the next communication will be the interview date. Can you tell me, what is Packet 4 that you referred to? Is that the notice of the Interview date?

BTW, for those interested, I hired a US attorney to ensure the process was not hindered by mistakes....given that it takes so long. The attorney has had great advice and therefore very helpful. It is the little strategic things to add to your filings that are not required but may have added credibility to your application (we'll see if that does make a difference soon). Is it worth the $2,000 for peace of mind? For me, yes. And I am a CPA and prepare government documents regularly :D I do not want to wait longer than I have to......

Yes, packet 4 is the notice of the interview date; appointment instruction, medical examination instructions and medical forms attached.

I would like to let everyone know that the processing time to process a K1 fiance visa when submitted depends on where in the USA it is submitted to. Looking online I noticed that this must have changed from 5 years ago when my Thai GF (now my wife) and I applied. At that time we had to apply to the Nebraska Service Center because of the location I was residing at (Colorado). Looking online today I see there are no 'processing times' listed for a K1 fiiance visa at this service center. Now I am telling myself things must have changed from 5 years ago.

Anyway looking online at the Cailfornia service center for the USCIS I see that they are now processing K1 fiance visas that were submitted on or before 9/9/07... So if I do my math right that is at least 7 months wait from the time the paperwork was received at USCIS until now..... Vermont service center is not too far behind. They are processing K1 visa applications that were received on or before 9/17/07.... Please note that these posting dates were last updated by the USCIS on 3/15/08 so there could be a good sign that it will happen a little less than 7 months just to get the packet to prepare for the 'big' interview at the US Emabssy in BKK.... If you would like to keep a tab on the processing dates go to: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

I would like to let everyone know that the processing time to process a K1 fiance visa when submitted depends on where in the USA it is submitted to. Looking online I noticed that this must have changed from 5 years ago when my Thai GF (now my wife) and I applied. At that time we had to apply to the Nebraska Service Center because of the location I was residing at (Colorado). Looking online today I see there are no 'processing times' listed for a K1 fiiance visa at this service center. Now I am telling myself things must have changed from 5 years ago.

Anyway looking online at the Cailfornia service center for the USCIS I see that they are now processing K1 fiance visas that were submitted on or before 9/9/07... So if I do my math right that is at least 7 months wait from the time the paperwork was received at USCIS until now..... Vermont service center is not too far behind. They are processing K1 visa applications that were received on or before 9/17/07.... Please note that these posting dates were last updated by the USCIS on 3/15/08 so there could be a good sign that it will happen a little less than 7 months just to get the packet to prepare for the 'big' interview at the US Emabssy in BKK.... If you would like to keep a tab on the processing dates go to:

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.j

It is correct that the processing time depends on where the form is submitted. My K1 form was submitted to the Vermont center and it took 2.5 months. I just got the approval a week ago and submitted on Jan. 14th. I checked on line a few times to see how long it would take and everything pointed to about 6 months or more. I am not sure why in my case I got approval quickly but I am happy I did. I am not sure but perhaps because I had everything is order and included a cover sheet listing each item. I made it a no brainer for who ever first looked at it.

I am now waiting for packet 3 to be be sent. Any one have any idea on this time line ??? I believe the web site said 2 to 6 weeks.

Anyway looking online at the Cailfornia service center for the USCIS I see that they are now processing K1 fiance visas that were submitted on or before 9/9/07... So if I do my math right that is at least 7 months wait from the time the paperwork was received at USCIS until now..... Vermont service center is not too far behind. They are processing K1 visa applications that were received on or before 9/17/07.... Please note that these posting dates were last updated by the USCIS on 3/15/08 so there could be a good sign that it will happen a little less than 7 months just to get the packet to prepare for the 'big' interview at the US Emabssy in BKK.... If you would like to keep a tab on the processing dates go to:

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.j

It is correct that the processing time depends on where the form is submitted. My K1 form was submitted to the Vermont center and it took 2.5 months. I just got the approval a week ago and submitted on Jan. 14th. I checked on line a few times to see how long it would take and everything pointed to about 6 months or more. I am not sure why in my case I got approval quickly but I am happy I did. I am not sure but perhaps because I had everything is order and included a cover sheet listing each item. I made it a no brainer for who ever first looked at it.

I am now waiting for packet 3 to be be sent. Any one have any idea on this time line ??? I believe the web site said 2 to 6 weeks.

I received an Immigration Dept. NOA 2 dated 2/13/08, indicating the file was forwarded to the State Department in Bangkok. The State Department let me know they had the file on 3/6/08 and I should expect Packet 3 shortly. We received Packet 3 in Thailand (2 weeks later in the USA) on 3/19/08.

I am in the US and ended up getting the Packet 3 information online on 3/19/08 and was able to start the document prep. It took a few hectic days to get everything together. I would advise you to go to the State Department website and and start preparing now. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_vis...structions.html

My Fiancee had two quickly go to Bangkok and get police certificates and medical papers so we could file and get the process moving for an interview date. It will take 8-10 weeks once you have filed the 4 items they want for you to get an interview. Best of luck.

Edited by jmapodaca

• 3 weeks later...

Since turning in Packet 3 (received by the Embassy on 3/24/08) we have been waiting just about 5 weeks now for the Packet 4; interview date. Is anyone else waiting at this time? Currently, how long is the Embassy taking to process Packet 4?

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you provide them with everything they require!!!!!! And more.

I send my application for Fiancé Visa in February, April 15th I went to Thailand to visit my fiancé for the 3rd time ( I was there May of 2007, and Sept of 2007, I really love this girl)when I departed Thailand April 30th 2008 , my fiancé spend the whole day crying, it broke my heart. Told her that we were 3 months in to the Visa process and that we will be together again soon. When I returned to The States, there was a letter from Immigration waiting for me, I opened it with great anticipation , only to find that it was a denial , I did not believe my eyes, I had to read it several times, The explanation was that I did not Provide them with sufficient supporting Documentation. ( I am sure I gave then everything they require),I try to find out what was missing over the telephone, but no luck. I went to the Immigration Office in Jacksonville ( about 1 hr by car from where I live) and this is what the told me.

The lady at the desk was very nice and very understanding and really felt sorry for me, She said “ Of the record : usually when there is a missing item they will contact you and ask for it, but some times the case worker is having a bad day, or is overworked, and just denies the application, Now I can ether appeal the decision , and wait for the appeal to go through , and maybe win, and if I loose I would have to reapply any way, or reapply now and start over.

So my advice to you is : Have some one who knows what they are doing help you with the application, and save your self a lot of Time, cost , and heart ach. If you live near a large metropolitan area Look for Organization that do Pro Bono immigration healp.

Good Luck

I met my Thai GF on Thaikisses.com in January, we chatted for 6 weeks, then I went to visit her in BKK. I stayed for a few weeks, we got along great, and I gave her a ring and asked her to marry me. She has never been married, and has been at the same white collar job in BKK for 13 years. She has no criminal record.

I would like to bring her to the USA, and if she likes it here, we will make this our permanent residence and apply for a green card for her. However, it seems that even with good credentials, she will have to wait 4 – 6 months for a fiancée Visa according to the Thai lawyer she contacted, and the lawyer will cost $1800US but they will help her each step of the way. Is a lawyer worth the money, and will it take any less time to get a fiancee visa if we use a lawyer? And as far as getting her permanent residency in the USA, is it a tough process? I want to do everything legally because I want her to be able to go back to Thailand once a year to visit family.

Thanks for your help.

Sirineou Im sorry to hear about that. Will you be hiring an attorney? I am in Thailand now with my GF and we are gathering her paperwork together. She is really good at it, and has pretty much everything we need. But now it's my turn to get all our correspondence together.

Can I ask how long you have known your fiancee? I have known mine since Jan 2008 but we have only spent around 2 weeks together. But I am now here for 5 weeks so that might help in the application process.

Good luck on your reapplication.