Where Does Windows Xp Store Downloads By Default?

Trevor

I normally 'Run' my downloads for immediate installation. But if I change my my mind and want to save it to CD in case of future need to re-install, where on my hard drive can I find the download? Performing a search for the file just 'Run' draws a blank. Or does this method automatically delete the downloaded file once installed, so that it has to be completely downloaded afresh? Thanks.

Assuming your XP is installed on the C: drive.

Open Explorer (Not Internet Explorer), mouse over Start, right click on the mouse, then select Explorer.

There will probably be a folder called Users, search that folder.

For future use, I suggest that you create a new folder called C:\downloads then every time you suck something down from the internet you put it there. One point to consider, it is wise to put the latest and greatest program you are downloading in it's own folder named excatly for what it is used for, otherwise you risk having a selection of files called Setup.exe, Seup(1).exe, Setup(2).exe etc.

For future use, I suggest that you create a new folder called C:\downloads then every time you suck something down from the internet you put it there. One point to consider, it is wise to put the latest and greatest program you are downloading in it's own folder named excatly for what it is used for, otherwise you risk having a selection of files called Setup.exe, Seup(1).exe, Setup(2).exe etc.

If you download a lot of software (as I do) you can also keep all the files together in the "Downloads" folder you create but - when you get the "save as" option - save it as "ABCDsetup.exe"......... renaming it to whatever abbreviated description will remind you what it is. I might also create a sub-folder named "Installed" within the "Downloads" folder to hold the stuff you've already installed.

You guys are missing the point. Suppose I've 'Run' the download and installed it, then want to save a copy via my CD writer for future use, without spending hours downloading it again. Surely the file is temporarily stored somewhere on c: ? Or is the download all lost once it has been extracted and installed? Thanks.

> You guys are missing the point

With all due respect...

> Suppose I've 'Run' the download and installed it, then want to save a copy via

> my CD writer for future use, without spending hours downloading it again.

As part of the install process for some applications, they will tidy up after themselves this might include deleting the install file. So it is possible that your install file has gone. Look in the recycle folder?

Some install files are just a basic primer (preloader) of a few kb that when run, they suck down the real install files. This might have been the case with your installation, again the files might have been downloaded as compressed temp files that were then deleted during the post install clean up phase.

> Surely the file is temporarily stored somewhere on c: ?

> Or is the download all lost once it has been extracted and installed?

Yes. Most of the time there will be a folder called C:\TEMP that is used for such installs, or there will be a temp folder within your operating system folder C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES (this is one of the locations within the OS Windows Vista). Or it will be the default folder where your Internet Explorer attempts to download files (the choice of target folder can be changed within the registry - if you can not find out how to change that setting you probably should not be trying to do so.)

Have you looking in the folder where you downloaded the file to?

Have you used Explorer to search for the file name? (remember to search system and hidden folders)

There are options within Explorer's search feature that allow you to focus your search on files of a particular size or modified during a particular time period. If this is a large file consider a search on files greater than 5meg modified within the past two weeks (?) if you are searching the entire (no hidden areas) hard disk (all partitions C: D: etc.) it should be found if it is there. If you use "*.*" as the target file name you don't even have to remember the file name.

I would repeat my earlier suggestion of creating a download folder off of the root to ensure you have one place that you always put such files in future.

HTH

I normally 'Run' my downloads for immediate installation. But if I change my my mind and want to save it to CD in case of future need to re-install, where on my hard drive can I find the download? Performing a search for the file just 'Run' draws a blank. Or does this method automatically delete the downloaded file once installed, so that it has to be completely downloaded afresh? Thanks.

If it is any help my downloaded stuff goes to my documents/my received files

Xp will save it to the last location you asked it to so if you saved it in my documents it will be there, if you save it in the temp it will be there, if you want to know for definate then just download something and when says save it will bring up the location it is saving it to..if on the other hand instead of hitting save you hit run then it will save it to the temp folder

You guys are missing the point. Suppose I've 'Run' the download and installed it, then want to save a copy via my CD writer for future use, without spending hours downloading it again. Surely the file is temporarily stored somewhere on c: ? Or is the download all lost once it has been extracted and installed? Thanks.

And you have an unfortunate way of showing your appreciation of people trying to help.

Trying to read between the lines of what you say, it sounds like (maybe?) you are choosing the option to "run from this location" (or whatever variation of that wording you see from the source "location" as opposed to actually "download" the file to your location - i.e. to your computer - and then run it. Cuban has explained the process very clearly and at some length - including the point that some installs are in two stages (run or download-then-run a smaller file that will "fetch" the main install file to save it and/or just run it).

Basically you have a choice. Run the file from the source location and not have it saved on your machine* - or download/save it and then run it (which is what I assume the vast majority of us do). After that, you can decide whether to keep or delete the install file(s) you downloaded. In any case, the second route (download and then run) tends to be more reliable - it's not unknown for the "run from this location" route to stumble before completing the install. I would only add that many install files have the good manners to clean up after themselves - deleting redundant files created as part of the install process and probably the install file itself - even before your Temp folder is cleaned up during switch-off/re-boot.

Simple. Or did I "miss the point" again? :o

[* again as Cuban explained, the install file might be findable buried in a Temp folder if you go looking before you switch off/re-boot.......... but why on earth would anyone want the hassle and uncertainty when there is such a dependable alternative as already described?).

And you have an unfortunate way of showing your appreciation of people trying to help.

Some of you techies are really touchy, whilst at the same time being extremely generous with your advice. Are the Thais bringing out your sensitive side?

I run my downloads directly rather than save because 99 times out of 100 they install fine. In this case I wanted to save a copy after running as it was a long download I didn't want to repeat, especially paying by the GB. I did perform a search for the exact file name, without any results. I must have rebooted in the interim which, someone implied, empties the Temp folder where it must have been.

Thus endeth the lesson: DO 'Save' (rather than directly run) large or important downloads 'just in case'.

Another one for the 'Recent Postings' summary email.

Edited by Trevor

Some of you techies are really touchy, whilst at the same time being extremely generous with your advice. Are the Thais bringing out your sensitive side?

I run my downloads directly rather than save because 99 times out of 100 they install fine. In this case I wanted to save a copy after running as it was a long download I didn't want to repeat, especially paying by the GB. I did perform a search for the exact file name, without any results. I must have rebooted in the interim which, someone implied, empties the Temp folder where it must have been.

Thus endeth the lesson: DO 'Save' (rather than directly run) large or important downloads 'just in case'.

Another one for the 'Recent Postings' summary email.

I'm neither "techie" nor particularly touchy, but I was brought up to show good manners long before I even knew where Thailand is. Of course, as they say on here, your mileage may vary......... :o

• 5 months later...

lol reading the stupid replies on this thread made me register an account so i can give you a real answer

I normally 'Run' my downloads....
blah blah blah
where on my hard drive can I find the download?

your complete lack of nerdiness leads me to assume the following:

- you are using internet explorer...

- because thats what came with your computer for traveling the interwebs...

- and it is the only software in existance which provides such functionality as far as you are aware.

with that in mind if you are using XP click the start button, right click on "Internet" and click "Options"

if youre using vista i assume its literally the same procedure according to my instructions, but it probably looks different on the screen. i dunno, i got bored of vista super fast so dont ask me how it works.

anyways!

you now have a window titled "Internet Properties" and youre in the "General" tab. there are several headings in this tab, but under "Browsing history" is a buttons that says "Settings". click it!

another window with more buttons, great. click "View files" and guess what, all the files you have downloaded are there. yay! job done. can i have my cookie now?

oh, by the way, your temporary files have a size limit. if the total file size in that folder exceeds the limit, internet explorer will start deleting things from the folder to make room for new stuff. this includes all the web pages, graphics, downloads, etc etc that come through your internet wiring while you browse your favourite pr0ns.

long story short: your file might be deleted :o

lol reading the stupid replies on this thread made me register an account so i can give you a real answer
I normally 'Run' my downloads....
blah blah blah
where on my hard drive can I find the download?

your complete lack of nerdiness leads me to assume the following:

- you are using internet explorer...

- because thats what came with your computer for traveling the interwebs...

- and it is the only software in existance which provides such functionality as far as you are aware.

with that in mind if you are using XP click the start button, right click on "Internet" and click "Options"

if youre using vista i assume its literally the same procedure according to my instructions, but it probably looks different on the screen. i dunno, i got bored of vista super fast so dont ask me how it works.

anyways!

you now have a window titled "Internet Properties" and youre in the "General" tab. there are several headings in this tab, but under "Browsing history" is a buttons that says "Settings". click it!

another window with more buttons, great. click "View files" and guess what, all the files you have downloaded are there. yay! job done. can i have my cookie now?

oh, by the way, your temporary files have a size limit. if the total file size in that folder exceeds the limit, internet explorer will start deleting things from the folder to make room for new stuff. this includes all the web pages, graphics, downloads, etc etc that come through your internet wiring while you browse your favourite pr0ns.

long story short: your file might be deleted :o

How delightful. Welcome to ThaiVisa - I guess you won't be staying long? :D