Foreign Teachers' Organizations/unions In Thailand: Pros And Cons

yllorco

Foreign teachers out there, look at what other groups have recently done. Visit the following links:

Bangkok Teachers Network

Filipino Educators in Thailand

Association of Cordillerans in Thailand

Federation of Elementary Education Teachers' Associations of Thailand

National Thai Teachers' Union

Something can be done by and for foreign teachers in Thailand.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by yllorco

Thanks for posting those links. If there is a problem about posting links to other forums, we will have to remove them, but it's early in the morning and I can't get my moderator hat on correctly. :o

I see the first link goes to Ruamrudee International School's teacher's group, and the next two go to Filipino groups. The fourth and fifth links go to lists of worldwide and national teacher's groups. They are not all "teachers' unions" in the strict sense of the term, mostly associations.

In some countries, teachers' groups can do more than they can in other countries. I think we should not assume that nothing can be done in Thailand, nor should we set our hopes unreasonably high.

I think we should not assume that nothing can be done in Thailand, nor should we set our hopes unreasonably high.

It seems fair.

I just assume that most teachers don't take teaching profession as a mere business, but a vocation. However, there seems to be abuses in the employment, and some associations outside Thailand which started primarily for the purpose of professional development turned themselves into some kind of trade union, simply because they are left with a choice to do so when other schools put them in such a precarious situation.

Some things which seem unreasonably high in Thailand are realistic in some countries such as India, Indonesia, Belgium, and Lebanon. Teachers around the world condemn what happened to some teachers in Zimbabwe, Colombia, and the Philippines. And this activism is not just in small samples, but is already going to be prevalent.

It would be probably wise to apply such cause here, in Thailand. There must be some positive ways of dealing with teachers' problems in Thailand. And putting up a trade union among foreigners would probably work. I don't understand why for a long time Thailand doesn't seem to have any foreign teachers' trade unions. Let's get straight to the real issue. Teachers' rights are at stake, when some employers violate some of teachers' rights.

Are we mainly talking about a trade union for foreigners, including farang, Filipinos, Burmese, et al? It would be extremely difficult to organize and keep going.

Yes, it's difficult for the moment, and it's relative to the kind of person. A visionary leader would look at it more than a half-full. It's a matter of attitude, i.e. "teacher efficacy" in the language of the classroom, or success EQ for motivational leaders and psychologists.

I have been looking for some evidence regarding its legality. So far it's just been hearsay. I would love to accept any mistake for an iota of evidence. What makes it illegal, though, is if the nature of an organization is political. But if an organization is non-political, say, professional, cultural, or something that contributes to Thai society, there might not be any problem putting it up, as some groups around. The present government seems to be open to human rights, no wonder Thais have their unions, too.

This loafty goal would be for all foreigners, which is difficult for the moment. At least some groups have started as an association, and then eventually they will expand their objectives as they address their needs, and as they affiliate themselves with other teacher unions around the world. It doesn't have to be a purely trade union.

Bangkok Teachers Network (professional development in nature) is in its second year. There are more than 400 members already, mostly farangs. Several Filipino teacher groups (mostly cultural and professional) have organized for several months, but are fast growing in number. They have been organizing Thai Language and Culture and Professional Ethics Training (which is to be taught by one of the members of the Teachers' Council in Thailand in cooperation with the MOE), a requirement for teaching license and eventually work permit for all foreign teachers. One Scandinavian graduate student at Chulalongkorn is also on the move. A group of Africans is also considering.

It needs some strong leaders who have vision to make the seemingly impossible happen. "Where there is no vision, the people will perish," as an old saying goes.

I have been quixotic enough to tilt at a few windmills over the years, but I imagine that starting a teachers' union for foreigners in Thailand would be quite a challenge, and it would appear the glass is nearly empty. Look how difficult it is to even have a watchdog group against bad schools. I know, this is not the same. Good luck.

P.S. I had not heard that an organization of farang teachers exists in Bangkok. There was talk of such about a year ago, but this is the first scintilla of evidence since then. When do they meet, or what is the website of the active group?

My experience of farang teachers in Thailand is that many look out for number 1 first. Most came to Thailand without friends and feel independent of the type of loyalties (school, neighbors, family etc) people may have in their home-country community. I think an organisation or union for teachers is a good idea but the cynical part of me feels it won't work.

Edited by Loaded

P.S. I had not heard that an organization of farang teachers exists in Bangkok. There was talk of such about a year ago, but this is the first scintilla of evidence since then. When do they meet, or what is the website of the active group?

Click the links below:

Bangkok Teachers Network (purely for professional development)

Filipino Educators in Thailand (composite group and objectives, including collective bargaining with MOE, such as Thai Language and Culture and Professional Training)

There are several others, but not haven't launched their websites yet.

Click the links below:

Bangkok Teachers Network (purely for professional development)

Filipino Educators in Thailand (composite group and objectives, including collective bargaining with MOE, such as Thai Language and Culture and Professional Training)

There are several others, but not haven't launched their websites yet.

The first link is to an international school head website, not to a teachers' union. Filipinos are not farang. Thanks, anyway.

There is a foreign teacher's association, Thailand Educators Network, that meets at the Roadhouse Barbecue restaurant on Suriwong and Rama 4 Roads in Bangkok on the 10th of each month at 6 pm.

This is good. Their website is still under construction, though. This kind of organization is appreciated. It's a proof that foreign teachers are starting to get organized. I hope it will be bigger soon, and not just among farangs and Filipinos.

Edited by yllorco