It's Driving Me To Distraction

Rimmer

I know it's been talked about before here and I also knew how to fix it before, but now it seems that Firefox/2.0.0.14 will not allow me to change the address of the Google search engine in the drop down search menus. It continually defaults into part Thai and part English.

I have partway solved the problem by putting http://www.google.com/intl/en/ on the tool bar but do you think I can change the drop down menu? Nope!

So anybody know how to put the English Google search engine into the drop down menu?

My work around was to set www.google.com/ncr {no country requested I believe} as my default home page. Reload Firefox and the drop down will now use the ncr setting. Oddly there should be an accessible way to edit the search bar defaults, in my view, but thus far I never found a way, but since this 'hackette' works for me I've not looked for some time.

HTH

Regards

My work around was to set www.google.com/ncr {no country requested I believe} as my default home page. Reload Firefox and the drop down will now use the ncr setting. Oddly there should be an accessible way to edit the search bar defaults, in my view, but thus far I never found a way, but since this 'hackette' works for me I've not looked for some time.

HTH

Regards

IT WORKS !!! :D :D It's a problem that's been driving me nuts. Thanks. :o

HTH

Regards

IT WORKS !!! :D :D It's a problem that's been driving me nuts. Thanks. :o

I've since discovered that the link Tywais gave is actually a better solution. You can then keep your home page blank, or set to what you want.

http://www.google.com/preferences is the direct link.

geoffphuket

Glad to have helped. My experience was that when FF was updated you had to reset preferences all over again, hence why I remained with the home page fix. Maybe that's changed now, as they say if it ain't broken don't fix it :o By the by I run a session manager so the home page is perhaps less of an issue for me.

Regards

You can just edit the files in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins. Best to keep a copy of the edited files so you can paste them back in if you do a clean-install of firefox etc. I changed all the references from .com to .co.uk and it works a treat.

Although just today I set Google toolbar to replace the FF search box and remove the rest of the toolbar so now I have a much cleaner interface and I can tab straight into the toolbar search box with one key press after creating a new window. :o

I just manually went to www.google.com, which took me to the thai version. I then chose to go to google.com in English from that page. Closed it and from then on it remembered it and went to the English one from the search bar.

I just manually went to www.google.com, which took me to the thai version. I then chose to go to google.com in English from that page. Closed it and from then on it remembered it and went to the English one from the search bar.

Brilliantly easy. Thank you jstumbo

I use Blackle, It is Google results but allegedly energy saving. There is a plug in for Firefox's search bar menu drop down thing.

www.blackle.com

Blackle is a ridiculous scam by someone who wanted to profit from google adsense.

Consider the following:

• Displaying black to save energy only works on olders CRT monitors and even then it's just 5-10% difference (just lowering the brightness would save far more energy)
  • LCD monitors actually use a little more power to show a black screen because they work by selectively blocking the backlight
  • How many minutes are actually spent on the search engine anyway? Most people search and then immediately click the results.