Yogyakarta Indo: Worth The Trip?

Jingthing

Considering a trip to Yogyakarta. I have been to Bali before.

Have you been since the big earthquake there in 2006?

Are the tourism areas still OK? Did you enjoy your trip? Any special beheading concerns for Americans?

I've been there in the past year. Worth a visit, earthquake effects weren't noticable to me but then I wasn't really looking. It's a good place to use as a base to see some of the surrounding areas. Market in the main street (Malioboro) has lots of cheap stuff, makes Thailand seem expensive but the quality isn't as good. The local market with all the animals is interesting but if you're an animal rights fan then best not to go as you will not be impressed. People were friendly, really didn't have anyone hassle me or try to rip me off apart from being assailed by people selling stuff at Borobodur but then I think I was the only foreigner there on a quiet day. I didn't notice any hostility at all towards foreigners, quite the opposite, always felt safe despite all the warnings out there about Indonesia.

I have been there many times, last time was in November 2007.

a very nice place, particularly if you are interested in cultural events. it's the heart of Jawanese culture. people are incredibly friendly and unlike in a certain country, their plentifuly smiles are genuine and not just a disguise....

at night its pretty quiet, nightlife as u are used to in Thailand is limited to a few hotel-bars/Discotheques and a few karaoke-places. its very much a Muslim place, but not in a negative way. people are opneminded and used to foreigners. Central Jawa has always been the most liberal place in Indonesia, apart from Monster Jakarta. it's as well a student town with plenty of young people, adding to the special vibe of the city....

decent accomadation available in every price-range, starting around 200 Baht in the cheapo-LOSMEN.

earthquake: the truth is, Jawa is prone to earthquakes and it can happen anywhere, anytime on the island....

but isnt it all destiny ?

you wont be able to notice any damage of the last earthquake (which surprisingly was NOT that strong - around 5,7 or something, compared to the 7,8 of the Sichuan China quake, but sadly still claimed thousands of lives) , the town hardest hit was BANTUL, a non-touristic-place, south of Yogya, and near the sea.

PM me in case u need further information on Yogya or the entire Jawa-island

Edited by siam2007

• 2 weeks later...
I have been there many times, last time was in November 2007.

a very nice place, particularly if you are interested in cultural events. it's the heart of Jawanese culture. people are incredibly friendly and unlike in a certain country, their plentifuly smiles are genuine and not just a disguise....

at night its pretty quiet, nightlife as u are used to in Thailand is limited to a few hotel-bars/Discotheques and a few karaoke-places. its very much a Muslim place, but not in a negative way. people are opneminded and used to foreigners. Central Jawa has always been the most liberal place in Indonesia, apart from Monster Jakarta. it's as well a student town with plenty of young people, adding to the special vibe of the city....

decent accomadation available in every price-range, starting around 200 Baht in the cheapo-LOSMEN.

earthquake: the truth is, Jawa is prone to earthquakes and it can happen anywhere, anytime on the island....

but isnt it all destiny ?

you wont be able to notice any damage of the last earthquake (which surprisingly was NOT that strong - around 5,7 or something, compared to the 7,8 of the Sichuan China quake, but sadly still claimed thousands of lives) , the town hardest hit was BANTUL, a non-touristic-place, south of Yogya, and near the sea.

PM me in case u need further information on Yogya or the entire Jawa-island

WOw. thank you for all the posts. I too am hoping to visit there and see borobodor. funny thing is, a few years back I knew more bahasa malay/indo because of a friend of mine. Then I happened to visit Thailand first and have gone there 8 times since! It has proven a very big distraction for me. Time to head to Indonesia. Thanks again for the info. What hotels would you recommend? I have seen some stuff online about getting the place near borobodour so one can get there early in the morning.