Change To A Non-immigrant

I have 3 entry tourist visa, 6 month validity. Last entry going now, stamp to 1.7.2008, after that maybe extended by 30 days at an immigration office

Got married last month with thai citizen.

Can I get tourist visa changed to a non-immigrant visa in Thailand Immigration or must I travel to another country?

Do you meet the 40k family income and have the required paperwork for one year extension of stay? If you do you can obtain the required single entry non immigrant visa to allow application. It would cost 2,000 and you would later have to pay 1,900 baht for the extension of stay.

If you just want an additional 60 days before you leave for another visa you can obtain that from Immigration for 1,900 baht with wife and proof of marriage.

You need to get outside the country and apply for a non-immigrant visa with a Thai embassy. With your non-immigrant for 3 months you apply for a one year visa at the immigration office.

You will need a combined income of at least 40,000 THB a month. Since you are here now on a tourist visa you are not working, at least not legaly. So if your wife isn't earning 40,000 a month you will have to look for a job, before you apply for the non-immigrant visa.

If you can't find a job, you could find volunteer work. For that you also need a non-immigrant visa and a workpermit, but there is no income check.

You need to get outside the country and apply for a non-immigrant visa with a Thai embassy. With your non-immigrant for 3 months you apply for a one year visa at the immigration office.

You will need a combined income of at least 40,000 THB a month. Since you are here now on a tourist visa you are not working, at least not legaly. So if your wife isn't earning 40,000 a month you will have to look for a job, before you apply for the non-immigrant visa.

If you can't find a job, you could find volunteer work. For that you also need a non-immigrant visa and a workpermit, but there is no income check.

He does not have to get a Non Imm O Visa from an Embassy. He can change his Tourist Visa to a Non O at Immigration in Thailand. He can then get a years extension of stay (not a visa) if he can show a family income of 40,000 a month.

It is up to his Embassy in Bangkok what they accept as proof of his income.

• 4 weeks later...

I ask Finnish Embassy in Bangkok, but they don´t write such letters. Any help what can I do? Thai immigration wants letter from embassy....

If my wife starts to run some business as a sole proprietor and pay income taxes. Incomes 40000 / month. Is that enough for immigration?

I suspect you Embassy can notarize such a letter that you prepare perhaps? Did you explain exactly what it was to be used for?

If your wife has make income tax payments on a 40k income (even if have to make back payments now) that can be used.

I ask Finnish Embassy in Bangkok, but they don´t write such letters. Any help what can I do? Thai immigration wants letter from embassy....

If my wife starts to run some business as a sole proprietor and pay income taxes. Incomes 40000 / month. Is that enough for immigration?

The Embassy Letter is something you must have if it is your income. Ask them again.

Yes if your Wife has Tax reciept payments on 40,000 a month.

Now I have all papers ready for change my Tourist Visa to a Non O.

Last week I call to Bangkok Immigration and ask if I can change my Tourist Visa to a Non O at Immigration in Chiang Mai. Some officer tell me yes you can. I ask again Chiang Mai immigration, they say no you must go to Bangkok or outside the country. Called again this morning to Bangkok immigration and now they tell can change only in Bangkok or outside country. Little confusing, who can I believe?

As your entry expires tomorrow according to OP you need to extend 30 days before you can even think of a visa change (as that requires 21 days or more remaining on your stay). Or have you already done that?

Now I have all papers ready for change my Tourist Visa to a Non O.

Last week I call to Bangkok Immigration and ask if I can change my Tourist Visa to a Non O at Immigration in Chiang Mai. Some officer tell me yes you can. I ask again Chiang Mai immigration, they say no you must go to Bangkok or outside the country. Called again this morning to Bangkok immigration and now they tell can change only in Bangkok or outside country. Little confusing, who can I believe?

Hi Latelyo,

all the Immigration offices in Thailand shall be able to convert your Tourist (extended) Visa into a Non Immigrant O visa but this is not the main issue.

As is clearly stated by several guys who have posted in this thread, you should meet the requirements for the annual extension, if you don't, you have to apply for a Visa abroad.

You wrote:

and then again:

Summarizing, your Embassy is not able to help you out, at least it seems to me, and either eventually your wife will be able to proof her income (40,000 baht a month), it gonna be next year, not now... i.e. when the Audited Financial Statement will be available.

Am I correct guys?

Cheers :o

Edited by Siriam

Thank you all for your answers.

Like I tell my message "Now I have all papers" . That is not problem anymore. I like to get visa changed in Chiang Mai, but that seems impossible.

Siriam wrote "all the Immigration offices in Thailand shall be able to convert your Tourist (extended) Visa into a Non Immigrant O visa". Is there some documents or regulations to appeal?

You are planning to apply for an annual extension of stay for the reason of living with your Thai wife. Therefore, if you have all necessary documents required for this type of extension and as you have a minimum of 21 days left on your current permission to stay your local immigration office should be able to process your application for change of visa to non-immigrant visa. Perhaps the immigration officer was confused because you talked about getting a non-O visa, which indeed you can only get from a consulate, ie outside Thailand. With the change of visa you get a generic non-immigrant visa to enable you to apply for the marriage extension of stay.

--

Maestro