Citibank: I Spit On You!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jingthing, we do not need all the granular details, but you mention more questions about US residence. What do you mean? Are they going to ask me questions about Atlanta, my favorite local pro sports team, where I was when the tornado hit a month or two ago? Do I have to know the Varsity hamburger restaurant is near the Georgia Tech campus, not the Georgia State campus? The names of stores on Peachtree Street? The state flower? I do not know the maiden name of the governor's dog, or what the fare is on the rapid transit. But what minimum wage clerk is going to know what questions to ask for 219 metro areas?

Jingthing, we do not need all the granular details, but you mention more questions about US residence. What do you mean? Are they going to ask me questions about Atlanta, my favorite local pro sports team, where I was when the tornado hit a month or two ago? Do I have to know the Varsity hamburger restaurant is near the Georgia Tech campus, not the Georgia State campus? The names of stores on Peachtree Street? The state flower? I do not know the maiden name of the governor's dog, or what the fare is on the rapid transit. But what minimum wage clerk is going to know what questions to ask for 219 metro areas?

They wanted a land line phone bill in your name. No cell phones, no internet based phones (something expats use alot, eh?) You could walk into a US branch but they don't have physical branches in much of the US. Including Atlanta, y'all. This was "extra" and different than the original list of requirements. Like I said, bait and switch. I wouldn't have been at all surprised if they asked for even more later as indicated by one poster above. This topic is a warning, take it or leave it.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh, BTW, another symptom of their sleazy misrepresentation. The initial welcoming email indicates to expect a phone call at your phone number. I got the expected call and answered it. Then, a week later, more answering machine messages and mailed letters asking when can we reach you for your call, which I already had received. Again, happy to not be doing business with an outfit like this.

Yes, I know I said I wouldn't be getting granular, but I caved in, so sue me.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh, BTW, another symptom of their sleazy misrepresentation. The initial welcoming email indicates to expect a phone call at your phone number. I got the expected call and answered it. Then, a week later, more answering machine messages and mailed letters asking when can we reach you for your call, which I already had received. Again, happy to not be doing business with an outfit like this.

How is that sleazy?

Its very bad "CRM" I will give you that but how the heck is it sleazy?

A tad oversensitive methinks.

I was looking to open a multi-currency account with Citibank UK. Checked the call-back option on their website to discuss prior to applying (no number supplied for me to contact them).

6 days later, I get a call.

Thanks, but no thanks. :o

The UK branch of the banking hall of shame needs to be very spacious indeed to fit all the hopeless bank customer service operatives.

How is that sleazy?

Its very bad "CRM" I will give you that but how the heck is it sleazy?

A tad oversensitive methinks.

Good that you asked.

Second definition of SLEAZY: DISHONEST

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/sleazy

Citibank, clearly a very SLEAZY bank.

Okay, Jingthing, I agree it was too rigorous, but rather than bait and switch, I would describe it as a continued raising of the bar. But I used to get a fair amount of junk mail from US banks saying "You are eligible for $XX,000 line of credit." But the fine print required a steady job of a certain income, a fixed residence for more than a year, etc. And in the USA, where landlines are easily rented, everybody used to have a landline.

You are talking about a savings or checking account, but the requirements there might be just as strict as for credit cards. I do not try to open new accounts now, just keep what I have had for the last 10 or 20 years.

You are talking about a savings or checking account, but the requirements there might be just as strict as for credit cards. I do not try to open new accounts now, just keep what I have had for the last 10 or 20 years.

I am still looking for a reliable BACKUP for etrade, that does online wire transfers US to Thailand without the need for a visit to a branch in the US. Citibank seemed to fit the bill.

Edited by Jingthing

With a "bait and switch", you have to be "baited" to something (for example, a cheap car), and then "switched" to something else (for example, a more expensive car). Where's the bait and switch you've referred to? There isn't any. You were invited to apple for a Citibank account, and you were rejected for 2 reasons. According to your granualr details:

1. you have insufficient financial resources

2. you don't have a landline phone.

Perhaps the two resons are related. If you can't afford the 100THB for a landline phone, I predit you will not enjoy your stay in Thailand.

With a "bait and switch", you have to be "baited" to something (for example, a cheap car), and then "switched" to something else (for example, a more expensive car). Where's the bait and switch you've referred to? There isn't any. You were invited to apple for a Citibank account, and you were rejected for 2 reasons. According to your granualr details:

1. you have insufficient financial resources

2. you don't have a landline phone.

Perhaps the two resons are related. If you can't afford the 100THB for a landline phone, I predit you will not enjoy your stay in Thailand.

No, I was rejected for not having a landline phone in the US, silly, and why would I, as I don't live in the US? It is so funny how some people bend over backwards to defend big corporations against everyday people. You are correct, it isn't the traditional meaning of bait and switch. But the published requirements versus their actual requirements were indeed a bait and switch. I met all the requirements (the bait) and then they came up with new ones (the switch). It has nothing to do with financial resources (they don't ask and if they did bother to electro-snoop they would have found plenty of moolah and grade A credit). Again, the post is intended as a warning to expats trying to open a US citibank account, they lie to you about what is required. Maybe you'll get "lucky" but maybe you won't, and if there are alternatives to their sleazy practices, why bother?

Maybe some of the bright bulbs here aren't understanding why many US expats need US based accounts. We need these accounts to originate wire transfers to Thailand to show money movement for immigration. We live in Thailand but we our money is coming from the US.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing,

So, let me summarize: you apply for an account at Citibank. N. A. (North America) which requires you to be resident in the US. You are not resident in the US. Citibank refuses you an account. And somehow Citibank is the sleazy one and not, for instance, you?

Capt Haddock

Jingthing,

So, let me summarize: you apply for an account at Citibank. N. A. (North America) which requires you to be resident in the US. You are not resident in the US. Citibank refuses you an account. And somehow Citibank is the sleazy one and not, for instance, you?

Capt Haddock

Yes, I am sleazy. That is not news. Just doing what probably the majority of US expats do (as evidenced by a recent survey I ran here). We pose as US residents to make things easier or even possible. So whose fault is it exactly that US financial institutions are expat unfriendly? Crime of the century, huh? Maintaining US bank accounts. There is no other way. FYI: was not rejected for not being a US resident, as I have already detailed. In fact, if the friend I use as my faux residence had a land line phone, I could have still opened that account. He also has no landline, just uses a cell or an internet based phone as do tens of millions of Americans. Again to repeat, needing a land line US phone and to show the bill was not listed as one of their requirements when you first open the account. So as we are all agreed that I am sleazy and Citibank is sleazy, it seems even more a shame that both of our sleazy parties could not find mutual ground to do some juicy banking business.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...amp;hl=maintain

BTW: Brownie points for you for highlighting that issue. I was wondering when some smart person would mention that!

About that issue, so we pose as being US residents. Who exactly are we hurting? We aren't stealing anything from any person or any bank, just trying to maintain our financial business. Maybe it deserves a separate topic as I am convinced perhaps many thousands or even millions of Americans are doing just that, and hurting nobody. They are just trying to navigate a crazy environment.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing,

Capt Haddock

Yes, I am sleazy. That is not news. Just doing what probably the majority of US expats do (as evidenced by a recent survey I ran here). We pose as US residents to make things easier or even possible. So whose fault is it exactly that US financial institutions are expat unfriendly? Crime of the century, huh? Maintaining US bank accounts. There is no other way. FYI: was not rejected for not being a US resident, as I have already detailed. In fact, if the friend I use as my faux residence had a land line phone, I could have still opened that account. He also has no landline, just uses a cell or an internet based phone as do tens of millions of Americans. Again to repeat, needing a land line US phone and to show the bill was not listed as one of their requirements when you first open the account. So as we are all agreed that I am sleazy and Citibank is sleazy, it seems even more a shame that both of our sleazy parties could not find mutual ground to do some juicy banking business.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...amp;hl=maintain

BTW: Brownie points for you for highlighting that issue. I was wondering when some smart person would mention that!

About that issue, so we pose as being US residents. Who exactly are we hurting? We aren't stealing anything from any person or any bank, just trying to maintain our financial business. Maybe it deserves a separate topic as I am convinced perhaps many thousands or even millions of Americans are doing just that, and hurting nobody. They are just trying to navigate a crazy environment.

You know, I don't have any moral objection to your posing as a resident to get a bank account. What I really find offensive is your whining that you have somehow been hard done by. No one is being unfair to you. Citibank, N. A. is chartered to operate in the US. For business and/or regulatory reasons they do not offer overseas accounts. You sound like the typical sociopath who always feels himself to be a victim because he is incapable of considering the viewpoint of anyone but himself.

I got conned with Citifinancial. This was through a bunch of "brotherly Christians" who were out for dough. Ital-American clique immigrants who stuck together. They conned me out of my social contact list, my privacy with another member of a church, and kept holding these carrots of personal information in front of me to try to get me to catch on.

In the end I basically and indirectly told them to <deleted> off.

So the OP pretends to be a US resident and I suppose gives false information to the bank that he is a US resident in order to obtain a bank account.

The bank does it`s homework and requires proof of address i.e. a checkable landline and a recent utility bill.

The OP can produce neither and then attacks the bank for doing it`s job.

:o

You sound like the typical sociopath who always feels himself to be a victim because he is incapable of considering the viewpoint of anyone but himself.

By that lovely logic, the majority of American expats on thaivisa are sociopaths (as well as some high profile MODERATORS here) as the majority have indeed claimed they are posing as US residents for banking (etc.) purposes. I don't buy it. I don't buy that posing as a US resident for necessity and convenience is anything more than what it is, often a necessary thing to do that hurts nobody.

Back to CitiSleazeBank, the objection I have is the way in which they present their requirements. It is reasonable to assume that if you can meet their stated requirements, you can open a basic bank account with them. But no ... Actually, my theory is they are screening for identity theft and not non-US residents, so again the moralist comentators are most likely out to lunch.

Edited by Jingthing

You sound like the typical sociopath who always feels himself to be a victim because he is incapable of considering the viewpoint of anyone but himself.

By that lovely logic, the majority of American expats on thaivisa are sociopaths (as well as some high profile MODERATORS here) as the majority have indeed claimed they are posing as US residents for banking (etc.) purposes. I don't buy it. I don't buy that posing as a US resident for necessity and convenience is anything more than what it is, often a necessary thing to do that hurts nobody.

Back to CitiSleazeBank, the objection I have is the way in which they present their requirements. It is reasonable to assume that if you can meet their stated requirements, you can open a basic bank account with them. But no ... Actually, my theory is they are screening for identity theft and not non-US residents, so again the moralist comentators are most likely out to lunch.

Q. E. D.

Jingthing, So, let me summarize: you apply for an account at Citibank. N. A. (North America) which requires you to be resident in the US. You are not resident in the US. Citibank refuses you an account. And somehow Citibank is the sleazy one and not, for instance, you? Capt Haddock
Yes, I am sleazy. That is not news...

Now that we have that cleared up, :o

Jingthing, So, let me summarize: you apply for an account at Citibank. N. A. (North America) which requires you to be resident in the US. You are not resident in the US. Citibank refuses you an account. And somehow Citibank is the sleazy one and not, for instance, you? Capt Haddock
Yes, I am sleazy. That is not news...

Now that we have that cleared up, :o

Right, but I do not PRETEND to be otherwise, as does CitiSleazeBank.

To clarify the issue I predict other US expats might have with opening Citibank accounts, the issues I had were related to proving US residence. I had all the proof needed as detailed online and on the initial email, but then when I met them, they upped the ante to a point where I couldn't meet their criteria. My complaint with them is changing the rules. I predict other US people living in Thailand will have problems opening accounts with them, or maybe even maintaining accounts with them, and my purpose is to signal a WARNING.

I have found the only way to open an account in the US is to have a banker from the same bank here in Bangkok help. This gives you instant credibility with the US banker and they will do this if you have a good relationship locally. Normally, any issues that I can't deal with directly, the local banker handles for me. Not often, but when needed they come through. Otherwise not only setting up an account in the US is a nightmare, but maintaining the account is also a nightmare.

At first, before I learned to go through the local banker, on one trip to the US I opened up an account with Bank of America by depositing cash in their bank. I went with my mom who was an existing customer. They used my mom's US address and all was well. I took their free USD credit card with attached credit line and a few month's later noticed one small, unauthorized charge of USD 39 on my credit card for online gambling. When I complained to Bank of America they said that my only recourse was to go back to the merchant (who of course is in cyberspace). Not surprisingly, the email I sent was never answered.

Given the charges were small, I called Bank of America (from Bangkok) and told them I would eat the charges, but to protect myself in the future, I wanted them to cancel both my "free" credit card and attached credit line. They refused saying to protect me I had to go to the US myself to cancel the card. They wouldn't even accept the letter I sent to them which my mom delivered directly to them. Finally, after many, many calls and frustrating experiences, I found one banker that understood and told me that she would break Bank of America rules that had been designed to protect me so as to stop unauthorized charges being made that I couldn't stop because of their rules to protect me.

From now on either I go through the local banker for US accounts or I set up an account in HK or Singapore.

My advice to US people who have not yet made the move, open MULTIPLE US bank accounts (including CitiSleazeBank if you wish) before leaving if you do require a US bank account when living in Thailand. I suggest at least 10 or 20 such accounts (just kidding!). It will become much harder to open such an account after you move to Thailand. Different banks have different wiring policies, the policies can change, banks get bought by bigger banks and the policies change, one of your banks may discover you are no longer a US resident and decide to stop doing business with you, etc. You want to do all you can to avoid having to travel back to the US to do simple banking business.

Two banks to definitely avoid: Washington Mutual (does not do SWIFT wires except if you walk into a US branch) and Wachovia Bank (their repetitive wiring codes are only good for a few years, after that you have to start a new one, in person, at a US branch). Others may wish to mention other major banks that they have discovered are seriously expat unfriendly. Us sleazeballs like to share such information, natch.

Edited by Jingthing

My advice to US people who have not yet made the move, open MULTIPLE US bank accounts (including CitiSleazeBank if you wish) before leaving if you do require a US bank account when living in Thailand. I suggest at least 10 or 20 such accounts (just kidding!). It will become much harder to open such an account after you move to Thailand. Different banks have different wiring policies, the policies can change, banks get bought by bigger banks and the policies change, one of your banks may discover you are no longer a US resident and decide to stop doing business with you, etc. You want to do all you can to avoid having to travel back to the US to do simple banking business.

Two banks to definitely avoid: Washington Mutual (does not do SWIFT wires except if you walk into a US branch) and Wachovia Bank (their repetitive wiring codes are only good for a few years, after that you have to start a new one, in person, at a US branch). Others may wish to mention other major banks that they have discovered are seriously expat unfriendly. Us sleazeballs like to share such information, natch.

VERY good advice.