Just Back From Penang

I havent been to penang since Sept 6 2007 after learning of warning stamps on tourist visas. I was lucky that I missed the stamps by a week or 2 late last year. At any rate, I had a lot of shit going on and have been in and out of the country since last dec, no time for tourist visa nonsense in my home country; too much chit to do!!!!!! I have 6 years of exempts and mainly tourist visas from Penang over that time (mostly triples from Penang!!). I thought I'd take a chance after hearing that penang had lightened up recently via this forum. my time was up so I gave it a shot. I am delighted to report that I grabbed my single entry with no problemos and no stampos. I went directly to my nearest penang beer store and slammed to bottles of guinness in celebration. the last thing i wanted was a nitemare trip to Laos to get this shit done. So I say party hearty bretheren, Penang is a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I havent been to penang since Sept 6 2007 after learning of warning stamps on tourist visas. I was lucky that I missed the stamps by a week or 2 late last year. At any rate, I had a lot of shit going on and have been in and out of the country since last dec, no time for tourist visa nonsense in my home country; too much chit to do!!!!!! I have 6 years of exempts and mainly tourist visas from Penang over that time (mostly triples from Penang!!). I thought I'd take a chance after hearing that penang had lightened up recently via this forum. my time was up so I gave it a shot. I am delighted to report that I grabbed my single entry with no problemos and no stampos. I went directly to my nearest penang beer store and slammed to bottles of guinness in celebration. the last thing i wanted was a nitemare trip to Laos to get this shit done. So I say party hearty bretheren, Penang is a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

its on the ground intel like this that makes ThaiVisa so valuable... thanks for posting !

===========================================================

the last thing i wanted was a nitemare trip to Laos to get this shit done.

I've been to Penang a dozen times ..... In January I made the trip to Laos ... it was everything

but a nightmare trip .... Very good transport, hotel and easy apply/collecting of my visa. And

very polite people both in the hotel, restaurants etc.

Obviously you've never been there, but I think my trip to Vientiane was less stressful (and

less boring) than my previous ones to Penang.

As I will be 50 years in August, there's no need to do these visa runs for some time ... but

even if I had too I would prefer Vientiane over Penang.

Edited by sniffdog

I agree with sniff that Laos is a wonderful place to hang out, far better I think than Penang. Penang though is far more convenient to deal with getting a visa though. I don't care for the embassy mob scene and dealing with the river border crossing that was mobbed my last trip on the way back. When the day comes of reasonably priced airfares direct to Vientiane, it will be a dream to go there but right now for me in Bangkok, it's a major hassle even with the Udon flight. I hope Penang really is back in biz

the last thing i wanted was a nitemare trip to Laos to get this shit done.

I've been to Penang a dozen times ..... In January I made the trip to Laos ... it was everything

but a nightmare trip .... Very good transport, hotel and easy apply/collecting of my visa. And

very polite people both in the hotel, restaurants etc.

Obviously you've never been there, but I think my trip to Vientiane was less stressful (and

less boring) than my previous ones to Penang.

As I will be 50 years in August, there's no need to do these visa runs for some time ... but

even if I had too I would prefer Vientiane over Penang.

Can you not just thank the guy for his brilliant post of updated information instead of throwing a spanner in the works with the attitude of "I could have done it better" ?

I have no problem with you apart from the fact that as soon as anyone else posts valuable information you have to slam them down into the ground with negatives.

Is this what we have all become ? In my last post you told me to "get a life" and "case closed" because someone dared to post something after the fact. If you want to throw your toys out of the sandbox at least play fair.

its on the ground intel like this that makes ThaiVisa so valuable... thanks for posting !

Yes it is !

Thank you to the OP for posting valid and up to date information, No doubt that one of the TV trolls will now question every word that he said.

Thanks for the info CobraSnakeNecktie.

So now you've turned from an ordinary troll and a flamer into a stalker, huh? I decided to give it a rest, though you like to pick up the altercation again in a new thread. Well, be disappointed, I'll eat guys like you for breakfast ... :o The fact that you confuse 'BEFORE the expiry date with 'ON the expire date' proves to me that simple things are just too difficult for you. No need to waste more time on you. If you want to stalk me,go ahead.

Now to more important matters:

===================================================================

When the day comes of reasonably priced airfares direct to Vientiane, it will be a dream to go there but

right now for me in Bangkok, it's a major hassle even with the Udon flight.

The difference between a direct flight to Vientiane (Laotian Airlines) and Penang is roughly THB 3,500 - THB 4,000. If you can't afford this little

extra amount, you should go back home and make a decent living.

But it provides you with the following savings and convenience:

- Vientiane provides you a double entry. Instead of having to do another trip to Penang, I just took Jack Golf's VIP service for a mere 2,200 baht the

second entry.

- Budget Accommodation in Vientiane is so much better than Penang. I've paid THB 900 (http://www.aroonresidencehotel.com) which is a mere

THB 300 more I used to pay for shabby accommodation in Penang, still in a central location.

- Saved at least THB 1,400 in taxi fares because the hotel was at walking distance from the embassy and the hotel provided airport pickup/dropoff.

====================================================================

Penang though is far more convenient to deal with getting a visa though.

Don't understand. I walked in 5 minutes to the embassy, guy filled in my papers and made a copy of my passport for 100 baht, got in line and the

whole procedure was done in 1 hour. Collecting next day was equally easy and took a mere 20 minutes.

When the day comes of reasonably priced airfares direct to Vientiane, it will be a dream to go there but

For me the decision would be based purely on how many entries I can get.

If Vientiane stopped issuing double-entry TVs, I would prefer Penang for a single entry run.

Oh how I miss the triple-entry 6 month TV's from Penang back in 2006.

So now you've turned from an ordinary troll and a flamer into a stalker, huh? I decided to give it a rest, though you like to pick up the altercation again in a new thread. Well, be disappointed, I'll eat guys like you for breakfast ... :o The fact that you confuse 'BEFORE the expiry date with 'ON the expire date' proves to me that simple things are just too difficult for you. No need to waste more time on you. If you want to stalk me,go ahead.

Now to more important matters:

The difference between a direct flight to Vientiane (Laotian Airlines) and Penang is roughly THB 3,500 - THB 4,000. If you can't afford this little

extra amount, you should go back home and make a decent living.

But it provides you with the following savings and convenience:

- Vientiane provides you a double entry. Instead of having to do another trip to Penang, I just took Jack Golf's VIP service for a mere 2,200 baht the

second entry.

- Budget Accommodation in Vientiane is so much better than Penang. I've paid THB 900 (http://www.aroonresidencehotel.com) which is a mere

THB 300 more I used to pay for shabby accommodation in Penang, still in a central location.

- Saved at least THB 1,400 in taxi fares because the hotel was at walking distance from the embassy and the hotel provided airport pickup/dropoff.

Penang though is far more convenient to deal with getting a visa though.

Don't understand. I walked in 5 minutes to the embassy, guy filled in my papers and made a copy of my passport for 100 baht, got in line and the

whole procedure was done in 1 hour. Collecting next day was equally easy and took a mere 20 minutes.

if you cant afford more than 900 baht for decent accomodations, you should go back home and earn a decent living

if you cant afford more than 900 baht for decent accomodations, you should go back home and earn a decent living

I thought one of the primary attractions of Thailand and SE Asia in general was the cheap cost of living.

Edited by tropo

Can you still get a visa in Penang through a "book store"? That was the cool thing last time - no need to go to the embassy, just give everything to an agent on the main tourist road, and pick up next day. Much better than standing in line, and the cost was less than the taxi fare to the embassy :o

Can you still get a visa in Penang through a "book store"? That was the cool thing last time - no need to go to the embassy, just give everything to an agent on the main tourist road, and pick up next day. Much better than standing in line, and the cost was less than the taxi fare to the embassy :o

Yes NJ Bookstore, next to Swiss Hotel - Chulia Street - is still in business, convenient, quick, friendly, honest service these guys!

Know them for many, many years - never had a problem and they know what they are doing!

VisamanPenang.jpg

• 2 months later...

Yes NJ Bookstore, next to Swiss Hotel - Chulia Street - is still in business, convenient, quick, friendly, honest service these guys!

Know them for many, many years - never had a problem and they know what they are doing!

Same experience, the taxi round trip two times is 32 Ringit, the fee for the arrangement is 20 Ringit. You save time and money. A superb deal and a superb Indian service, including the free ride to the next ATM!

There are mnay good services in Penang including NJ (whom I have never used). Banana Guest House and Sam's book store on Chulia do the same job with the same prices and efficiency. I have to concur with the other poster who said a trip to Vientiane is better. Better in so many ways, especially if going for a few days and can get out of the "city". Penang is pretty boring if you have explored it once or twice.

There are mnay good services in Penang including NJ (whom I have never used). Banana Guest House and Sam's book store on Chulia do the same job with the same prices and efficiency. I have to concur with the other poster who said a trip to Vientiane is better. Better in so many ways, especially if going for a few days and can get out of the "city". Penang is pretty boring if you have explored it once or twice.

The Indian Food is really excellent in Penang - best I've had in SE Asia.

Hear, hear!

A couple of the veggie diners in Little India are especially great with fare from southern India, rather than the grease-orgies in many indian places that cater to tourists in SE Asia.

But I can´t see what you all are fighting about, I like both Penang and Vientiane. Although they are as different as two cities in Asia can be, and Penang is absolutely a bit heavier on both mony and patience.

I am delighted to report that I grabbed my single entry with no problemos and no stampos... Penang is a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:o

Hear, hear!

A couple of the veggie diners in Little India are especially great with fare from southern India, rather than the grease-orgies in many indian places that cater to tourists in SE Asia.

But I can´t see what you all are fighting about, I like both Penang and Vientiane. Although they are as different as two cities in Asia can be, and Penang is absolutely a bit heavier on both mony and patience.

I love the Indian food in Penang too. Not fighting about either of them, just think I am not alone when waking up on the morning of a trip to either, that ones smile is just a bit wider if on ones way to laos.

I love the Indian food in Penang too. Not fighting about either of them, just think I am not alone when waking up on the morning of a trip to either, that ones smile is just a bit wider if on ones way to laos.

Have not been to Vientiane since 4-5 years. Is it still a quiet little town with Beer Lao at 25 baht a bottle?

I guess a single entry would be easy to get but what about a multiple entry O? I heard KL is a

better choice for that type of visa

• 3 weeks later...

can you still get a tourist Visa in Penang? I can not decide on going to Penang or Lao. I am in Bangkok so Penang seems the most confortable way to go. I know in Lao I can get a 2 entry, but it is a not easey to get travel. some new updates on Penang would be nice I have to leave the 14th of sept so I should be buing my ticket now

• 5 weeks later...
So I'm back with my 60 days tourist visa. Was told that now there is no problem of getting tourist visas one by one all the time, so everybody is welcome

Hi XCaSQz,

Wondering if you would mind sharing w/ us how many 60 day tourists visa's you've recieved so far from Penang Consulate? Coz i've had several from there already & warnings too.

I'm thinking to go back there (or else KL - unpreferably) to do a 60 Day Tourist but last time i was there was:

- Jul 2008 > Non B 90 day visa

- Oct 2007 > 60 day tourist visa

....yes got one despite stamp below...but w/ verbal warning this time

- Jul 2007 > 60 day tourist visa

+ Remark: Holder has had 3 TV's already & they "may not accept application next time" stamp

- 2 more 60 day tourist visa successively from Penang

Fepends on wher you live if you think Vientiane or Penang is better.

For us living on Koh Samui it would mean going to Vientiane via Bangkok. :o

It doesn't matter where you live. A double entry in Vientiane is worth the extra distance and far better value.

Fepends on wher you live if you think Vientiane or Penang is better.

For us living on Koh Samui it would mean going to Vientiane via Bangkok. :o

It doesn't matter where you live. A double entry in Vientiane is worth the extra distance and far better value.

Which is easiest, Vientiane or Penang from Nakhon Sawan for a non imm O multi?

Edited by hunglikea

You won't get a non-o multi from Vientiane. For a non-o single it would be closest going overland.

Penang has had positive reports but using an agent.

Link to Penang using agent: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Penang-Non-i...l&hl=penang

Just got a thank you PM from a member that used same agent and had sucess.

Next after that it is KL for a multi.

Edited by ubonjoe