Evaluating A Thai Immigration Office.

I applied for and received my annual retirement extension today at Sriracha, Chonburi. There were no problems and I received friendly and fast service, in and out in about 10 minutes.

I was asked, as were others there, to complete and sign a questionaire/survey about that immigration office. It required a grading from 'very good' to 'poor' on about 8 aspects of staff service. I had no hesitation in giving 'very good' for each. The officer at reception by the front door read each questionaire as it was returned to him.

If I was not satisfied with the service, I would have been very reluctant to express such an opinion on the survey. What do you think?

I applied for and received my annual retirement extension today at Sriracha, Chonburi. There were no problems and I received friendly and fast service, in and out in about 10 minutes.

I was asked, as were others there, to complete and sign a questionaire/survey about that immigration office. It required a grading from 'very good' to 'poor' on about 8 aspects of staff service. I had no hesitation in giving 'very good' for each. The officer at reception by the front door read each questionaire as it was returned to him.

If I was not satisfied with the service, I would have been very reluctant to express such an opinion on the survey. What do you think?

I can't for a moment understand why you would form your conclusion. Do you think you'll be transported off to some remote gulag, held in chains and subjected to electric shock therapy if your experience at the office was less than satisfactory?

Or would you rather have a bad experience, have no one to provide feedback to and then post rants and ravings about "the Thai system" on this forum?

The fact that Thai Immigration in Chonburi is taking a proactive approach to their level of customer service should be applauded, rather than subject to cynicism and comments such as you've posted here.

The fact that someone is bothering to read your responses – rather than just adding them to an ever increasing pile – should also be welcomed and seen as a desire by immigration to want to improve their standard of service.

Would you have the same view if you were asked to complete a similar survey in your home country?

On my latest visa run to Laos there were students attempting to conduct surveys of people as they waited to pass through Laos border control to return to Thailand. Not a single westerner would help these students by spending the five minutes it took to complete the survey.

So many foreigners like to criticize, but when given the opportunity to provide feedback shun the opportunity and slink back to their rooms to rapidly fire up their computers and post scathing comments on TV instead.

Your comments leave me totally bewildered. :o

As the 'survey' is not anonymous I would be most reluctant to tick anything worse than 'average' if I expected to return to the same office and expect any degree of service. In fact I would likely refuse to fill out the survey.

Immigration (along with the police) is one group where adverse critism (and its associated loss of face) is likely to cause no end of pain.

Edited by Crossy

Sorry to leave you bewildered, photojourn.

Quote: 'There were no problems and I received friendly and fast service.'

I praised their service. I just believe they might receive more honest responses if the survey was anonymous.

Given the great degree of latitude the immigration laws are enforced and interpreted in this country by the many immigrations offices, as well as the overpoweringly moronic, but totally ingrained mindset and/or alleged cultural phenomena of 'face loss'; I would be reticent about filling out a survey that wasn't completely anonymous. Any observation in this country, no matter how slight, which criticizes the way things are done here seem to be taken to the extreme by the inhabitants who wield any modicum of power over my life.

While the Chonburi immigration office is to be applauded for the effort, as it is certainly a step in the right direction; the fact remains the critique is read while you are there. It would seem too much emphasis is put on WHO is criticizing, rather than what those criticisms may be and/or if they have merit.

Then again, from perusing the posts here on the forum; Chonburi has never been a problematic immigration office to begin with.

I've had a fair amount of experience with the Sriracha office. If I were to receive their survey, I would insist on only making written-out explanations instead of ticking boxes, but then, they would be used to that from me. Years ago when I went to get an extension of a TV there, they were intrigued by my written response on the application as for the reason. It covered the entire back of the sheet and I think contained no fewer than 100 words with a minimum of 5 syllables each and was written in such a verbose and whimsical manner that they were completely befuddled by it.

Edited by sriracha john

Slightly off topic, but praise can work wonders.

Several years ago I was applying for a Non Imm O visa in Lisbon Portugal.

I presented my papers and was told it would be 5 days before I could collect the visa,

due to local and Thai holidays. I said this was not very convenient as I had a job to do.

"Wait a minute" was the reply. Then she came back and told me I could have my visa

if I did not mind waiting 20 minutes. I waited.

I wrote a letter to the MFA commending the embassy for their helpfulness.

The next time I had to visit there, the consul came out to meet me.

My compliments had been fed back to him, and he must have received a pat in the back.

Once again I received my visa whilst I waited.

That was in the days before one year multiple entries.

PS I have always found the staff in Sri Racha to be helpful and efficient. :o

'PS I have always found the staff in Sri Racha to be helpful and efficient."

A few years ago I had the pleasure of teaching many of the Sriracha immigration and costoms police and I can only agree with you.

astral, I think your comments are very much on-topic!

Thank you for your response.

Edited by bgood

Lest we forget, Immigration Officers are police officers.

I have always felt it would be a very good idea to require all falang to sit in an immigration office for half a day, if a slow office doesn't require that already, and have the falang "evaluate" the falangs using the office.

My observations lead me to believe that the average immigration police officer suffers such abuse from falang in the performance of his duties that he is immune to what someone might say in a questionaire. The questionair in question was regarding the office as a whole, was it not? No individual officer was singled out, were they?

I believe praise gets much better results than criticisim so in filling out such a questionaire, I would indicate how good the service was but how it could be improved by positive suggestions for change.

Law abiding citizens rearely have any knowledge or understanding of what immigration police officers have to deal with and thus, we don't understand, the rationale for some of the regualations we find burdensome.

For example, the 90 day reporting rule for those of us who have lived in the same house we built decades ago. Surely a requirement that we notify immigration whenever we change where we live would be sufficient? I don't know why that wouldn't work and yet there may be a very good reason. For one, it may be a device to deport undesireables who do not comply with the rule when there are no other reasons avaialble to get rid of them?

I've had a fair amount of experience with the Sriracha office. If I were to receive their survey, I would insist on only making written-out explanations instead of ticking boxes, but then, they would be used to that from me. Years ago when I went to get an extension of a TV there, they were intrigued by my written response on the application as for the reason. It covered the entire back of the sheet and I think contained no fewer than 100 words with a minimum of 5 syllables each and was written in such a verbose and whimsical manner that they were completely befuddled by it.

LOL what a surprise I would expect nothing less from you john :o

I can't for a moment understand why you would form your conclusion. Do you think you'll be transported off to some remote gulag, held in chains and subjected to electric shock therapy if your experience at the office was less than satisfactory?

Or would you rather have a bad experience, have no one to provide feedback to and then post rants and ravings about "the Thai system" on this forum?

The fact that Thai Immigration in Chonburi is taking a proactive approach to their level of customer service should be applauded, rather than subject to cynicism and comments such as you've posted here.

The fact that someone is bothering to read your responses – rather than just adding them to an ever increasing pile – should also be welcomed and seen as a desire by immigration to want to improve their standard of service.

Would you have the same view if you were asked to complete a similar survey in your home country?

On my latest visa run to Laos there were students attempting to conduct surveys of people as they waited to pass through Laos border control to return to Thailand. Not a single westerner would help these students by spending the five minutes it took to complete the survey.

So many foreigners like to criticize, but when given the opportunity to provide feedback shun the opportunity and slink back to their rooms to rapidly fire up their computers and post scathing comments on TV instead.

Your comments leave me totally bewildered. :o

Photodude, Are you having a laugh?

post-10698-1215181604.jpg

After being royally messed about for the 2nd year on the trot I sincerely hope they do give me a form after I get my visa extension in a couple of weeks or so.

Off topic but how did you get on with that Mosha?

Went upto BKK on monday. Talked to a guy in Ranong departure lounge, who spoke good English. Went to the embassy and arranged for the letter proving income. Went to immigration, and spoke to the robot on reception. It looked human but it must have been a robot. No matter what the question was, all I got back was "Speak to Ranong Immigration". Threw my hands up in the air and walked out. Got my letter next day and flew home. The same guy I spoke to in Ranong was flying back. He asked me how I had got on, and I related my story. Turns out he is a police officer, and he gave me some names in immigration in Ranong, and his mobile if I get stuck. If all else fails I'll try that. I may look and see if the guy from last year is around.

Edited by Mosha

After being royally messed about for the 2nd year on the trot I sincerely hope they do give me a form after I get my visa extension in a couple of weeks or so.

Off topic but how did you get on with that Mosha?

Went upto BKK on monday. Talked to a guy in Ranong departure lounge, who spoke good English. Went to the embassy and arranged for the letter proving income. Went to immigration, and spoke to the robot on reception. It looked human but it must have been a robot. No matter what the question was, all I got back was "Speak to Ranong Immigration". Threw my hands up in the air and walked out. Got my letter next day and flew home. The same guy I spoke to in Ranong was flying back. He asked me how I had got on, and I related my story. Turns out he is a police officer, and he gave me some names in immigration in Ranong, and his mobile if I get stuck. If all else fails I'll try that. I may look and see if the guy from last year is around.

Not good is it?

There must be someone in charge at Ranong. Surely someone must know the Immigration law.

Good luck , hopefully you may see someone else. It might be that womans day off.

• 2 weeks later...

Went in today instead of Friday as that is a holiday. They are now happy to say I did not need 400K in the bank. On another note I have a scanner, so We printed off everything we knew we needed at home. No that is not allowed you must go to the on site printing service. Immigration Police operating a scam? :o

Went in today instead of Friday as that is a holiday. They are now happy to say I did not need 400K in the bank. On another note I have a scanner, so We printed off everything we knew we needed at home. No that is not allowed you must go to the on site printing service. Immigration Police operating a scam? :o

That's a relief, till next year.