Recommendations Needed

CardiffRay

Hi All,

I'm travelling to Thailand for a 2 week holiday over Xmas and New Year and could use some help planning.... :D

Just a bit of background: I'm 30 and travelling alone and despite what all my mates may think (and have said); I'm not travelling for the sex industry - that's just not my thing. I'll prob spend 3-4 days in Bangkok and then go with the flow from there and head down to the beaches / islands (and maybe a few days in Chiang Mai)

Can anybody advise what area I should be looking to book a hotel in Bangkok? I'm looking for somewhere central from where I can get to do most of the "touristy things" but is easy to get back to of a night time. I'm probably aiming at 4 star and somebody has already suggested the Sukhumvit Rd area - does this sound about right? :o

Re. the islands/beaches - I'm totally open to suggestion on this front (other than to say I'll be flying down) I'd like to head somewhere where it's moderately busy and where there'll be a few other solo travellers but not too overcrowded. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ray

You do need to book for those weeks. Islands on the East Coast are in rainy season then so you might do better to look at the West coast. Koh Chang, Trat will be fine but gets crowded from Christmas through January.

You might consider Koh Lanta or Koh Lipe. Have a look:koh lanta

and here: Andaman islands

Absolutely loads of online bookings for hotels in Bangkok. Just type Bangkok Hotel into google and away you go.

Just a thought...

If you are travelling solo and are not "travelling for the sex industry", you may want to consider staying in the Khao San Road or surrounding areas rather than Sukhumvit, it's closer to the "touristy" parts of BKK. You will find more like minded travellers in this area. :o

totster :D

Thanks for the advice folks (especially Chutney as I was looking at east coast destinations without realising it's the rainy season) :o

I've narrowed my Bangkok hotel choice to one of the following:

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit or

Westin Grande Sukhumvit

Does anybody have any experience / knowledge of either of these?

Thanks again

Ray

The sheraton is way better than the westin if you are not worried about pricing.

Good restarants and bars and a lovely pool area.

Thanks for the advice folks (especially Chutney as I was looking at east coast destinations without realising it's the rainy season)  :o

Westin Grande Sukhumvit

Thanks again

Ray

On my first trip I stayed at the Royal.

Very well placed for the Royal Palace, the river, Wat Pho, royal barges etc. A bit down market from you stated range, but clean and comfortable.

Watch the seasonal variations when planning yuor beach time.

Hu Hin and Cha-am are accessible from Bangkok by bus.

Phuket will require flying.

The sheraton is way better than the westin if you are not worried about pricing.

Good restarants and bars and a lovely pool area.

Thanks for the advice folks (especially Chutney as I was looking at east coast destinations without realising it's the rainy season)  :o

Westin Grande Sukhumvit

Thanks again

Ray

The Sheraton is a great place to stay :D

If all else is equal I'd stay close to the river since when Bangkok gridlocks (an almost daily occurance) you can still get to alot of the tourist places on the river taxis which in my opinion are one of the most fun things about Bangkok in and of themselves. Also being near the elevated train will give you better mobility in this regard.