Fishing In Phuket

markfull

Hi,

I need advice. I would like to know what are the rates to charter a boat for night/day fishing in Phuket. My friends tell me Prasert Seri is the cheapest but i can't seem to find their number or website. They told me it used to be B6000 but these days what are the rates? I have actually joined some of these day charters quite a few times at B1500 to B1800 and we only landed tuna at Racha islands.... would you have any good boat charters below B10,000 to recommend to target GT?

Also, where should i go Beach fishing or surfcasting in Phuket? Will be spending a week at the Blue Canyon when means mai khao beach and nai yang beach are the nearest. Should i try fishing at these 2 beaches? I understand it is a national park so is fishing allowed? What kind of tackle would you recommend and what should i be targeting. Another option is i could try fishing off sarasin bridge but again, what should i bring and what should i be targeting?

Any advice would be much aprreciated.

Mark

Hi,

Any advice would be much aprreciated.

Mark

Google...............it's an amazing thing.

Here's what came up:

www.phuket.com/fishing/index.htm

www.phuket.com/fishing/seasons.htm

www.bluewater-anglers.com/

www.thaifishingguide.com/

Have Fun!

Hello mate. Have you thought about freshwater fishing? theres some good places here where you can go for a days fishing, and catch a big catfish, or theres a really nice place near where i live, it costs 600 baht a day to fish, and the lake is stuffed with lots of different carp, tilapia, paku, and many others including giant arapima not sure of the spelling hehe.

anyway its a great day, really pretty surroundings and great fishing with food and drinks available too. They can supply the bait and tackle too.

The beach fishing is not really good in fact i wouldnt even bother. ive tried it a few times.

if you want to go just pm me and i can give you the details

Edited by podge

Thank you all for your fast reponses.

I have actually tried most of the services googled up and realized that these days they charge much more. I have also tried lake fishing. Excellent carp and cat fish.

But this trip i am binging the kids which is why i am looking for a place convenient for them to make their sand castles since fishing isn't really their thing. I have heard of people landing spanish macks and barra of sarasin but what bait should i use? Also the last trip i watched this guy land 5 baby gt, about 30-50cm long just on surf casting lures at nai yang beach, was he just very lucky?

Also is it just me or is the water at mai khao much deeper and murkier....

Had quite a few pm's so il just post the details here about that lake, dont know why i didnt in the first place haha. Its called toons fishing park, and its next to heroines monument in thalang, if your at the roundabout and heading towards boat lagoon (phuket town direction) its about 2 k in that direction on the left hand side. good days fishing very well stocked. i think to fish for the giant arapima is a lot more than 600 baht because the fish die when you catch them :o which sucks in my opinion. hope this helps .

Markful, i would have a ride up and watch the peeps on sarasin bridge, see what theyre doing to catch them. infact im going up too sounds good heh. Aye mai khao beach is much deeper, and is quite dangerous this time of year i hear.

Edited by podge

I often see Thai locals fishing from MaiKhao beach - very popular in fact. As for the murky and deep sea at that beach, I'd say that the sea there is for the fish only. The beach slopes rapidly away and it is really too dangerous to swim all year round there.

(OT - All the new, luxury condos that are being built at MaiKhao beach promote the close proximity to the beautiful sea. They make no mention of the fact that you will probably drown if you try swimming there!!! )

When you mention dangerous i guess you are talking about the rip tides and surf gutters and not crime? Alot of pals tell me that the crime rate has risen and that even the beaches are not safe. Was thinking about pitching a tent by the beach and spending a night beach fishing for rays. But everyone advised me against doing so.

Any idea what the locals are using tackle/bait at mai khao?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just fisnished a week of fishing in Phuket. fished at least twice a day at different locations. The weather there now is very hot. I also did not bother to go with the local charters and instead did onland fishing. I will highly recommend 4 spots.

Sarasin Bridge

Go 2 hours before high tide. In the day, I caught plently of black spotted rabbit fish, spotted scad on bread, tamban sardinalla and Selar crumenophthalmus, belt/ ribbon fish were landed on sabiki jigs. Landed a few baby GT, spanish mackerels, baraccuda and queenfish on lures but nothing exceeding 8 pounds. Very good spot in the day but in the evening, only cuttlefish. Word of advice: Watch out for the water skiers, beggars and a particular bunch of drunk tattoed teenagers. They are there everyday... some of the fellow fisherman stole quite a few lures from me.

Lake between Sala restaurant and mariott beach club

Plenty of tilapia on bread, barummandee on lures and snakeheads on frogs and chicks. Make sure you use wire trace, barumandee and snakeheads about 15-20 pounds but...Don't know if it is legal to fish here though...

Mai Khao beach

Got a few snappers on cuttlefish and garfish on deadprawns. Nothing exceeding 10 pounds. Got plenty of sanma on jigs.

Cape Prompthep

Dangerous fishing, liable to fall but good sized GT and skipjack tuna on lures. Try kitefishing if wind permits. I did it for an hour and landed a few 3 yard long garfish.

Hope the above information helps. Now off to Singapore, Sentosa island to fish. Any advice?

• 1 month later...
Hello mate. Have you thought about freshwater fishing? theres some good places here where you can go for a days fishing, and catch a big catfish, or theres a really nice place near where i live, it costs 600 baht a day to fish, and the lake is stuffed with lots of different carp, tilapia, paku, and many others including giant arapima not sure of the spelling hehe.

anyway its a great day, really pretty surroundings and great fishing with food and drinks available too. They can supply the bait and tackle too.

The beach fishing is not really good in fact i wouldnt even bother. ive tried it a few times.

if you want to go just pm me and i can give you the details

Hello Podge (2119282). I read your bit about the freshwater fishing in Phuket and would like to try some. Could you e mail me direct for a 'chat'? It would be much appreciated. Best Regards, Paul ([email protected])

Edited by burhou