I Found A Bird With 2 Rings

chickenslegs

Today I found a racing pigeon in my garden.

It can't fly - has an injury under its left wing.

It's got two rings. One is black with silver lettering THAI HFT 71660 and the other is silver coloured with the number 126600 stamped into it.

I'm assuming one ring is the ID and the other is a racing ring (the one you put into the race clock when it arrives home.

I've googled the numbers but nothing helpful found.

I know it's a long shot, but is anyone out there a bird fancier.

Perhaps this website will help.

Thanks.

I've seen a couple of racing pigeon club websites but (so far) none of them give instructions about what to do if you find one. I'll have to try phoning one of them tomorrow.

Mrs chickenslegs has given her some rice and water - she may be getting her ready for the pot.

Edit - speling again

Edited by chickenslegs

Haha, reading the topic i thought to myself: On what hand does the bird wear the rings, and are they plain gold or with a diamond? :D

Very nice of you by the way to try and do something about the pigeon. :o

Today I found a racing pigeon in my garden.

It can't fly - has an injury under its left wing.

It's got two rings. One is black with silver lettering THAI HFT 71660 and the other is silver coloured with the number 126600 stamped into it.

I'm assuming one ring is the ID and the other is a racing ring (the one you put into the race clock when it arrives home.

I've googled the numbers but nothing helpful found.

I know it's a long shot, but is anyone out there a bird fancier.

i fancie that fried with salad and chips

We've found just 2 phone numbers for racing pigeon clubs in Thailand. No answer from 1, and the other just told us it wasn't one of their pigeons.

Seems there is no central registry where the ring number is registered to an owner.

I looked up a uk site which advised to give food and water until the bird can fly again, then let it find it's own way home -so that's what we will do.

I looked up a uk site which advised to give food and water until the bird can fly again, then let it find it's own way home -so that's what we will do.

Correct, but you might give the bird a little more than just rice (and no cooked rice plse).

I'm sure you'll find the right grains at any pet shop, and this should not be expensive.

Anyway congrats for doing the right thing.

onzestan

Good to hear the OP is looking after the bird and trying to find the owner.

Many would have shooed it away (or just killed it) and it would have probably ended up being a cat snack. I would think that the owner would be looking for it though.

Which reminds me. I found a bird with two rings as well. Both rings appear to be gold. Didn't see any numbers on them though. Didn't appear to be injured, but definitely needed to be fed. :o

Doesn't appear to be in any hurry to leave either, so I guess I'll wait for a few days/weeks and see what happens. If I start seeing feathers flying and poop everywhere though, I may change my mind. :D

The bird has flown.

We took it into the garden and let it go. At first it just settled on top of the sala. When we looked again it had gone. Hope it finds it's way home.

I'm surprised there isn't a central register for these birds, as some of them are worth a lot of money.

Also surprising - a pigeon can create its own weight in poop in just a couple of days!