28,000 Usd Honda Accord Costs 2.880.000 Baht In Thailand?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90k for a Honda Accord :o I wonder what my Honda CRV would cost there? Guess I might buy a Tuk Tuk when I come over :D I do like the simplicity of them.

CRV is 1.2mill, plus or minus based on engine/extra's, marginally better price than the UK but exchange rate is the big variable.

The high import and excise tax here are a joke. Unfortunately, a joke that gives the government a lot of money (to buy a submarine), but costs dearly not only the environment, but also in human lifes.

They discourage sales of big powered motors - how does that harm the environment or kills people???

These outdated pickup trucks made in Thailand pollute the air with clouds of black diesel fumes and when they have an accident, many people die.....

What are you talking about???? Thai made pickups conform to Euro standards and they are sold there in large numbers.

Thai people simply cannot afford a clean and save European car, so they are stuck with their outdated pickup trucks.

Most cars sold here cost less than pickups - Jazz, Vios, City, entry level Corollas or Civics.

Europeans simply don't want to invest in local production and stick to selling heavily taxed imports instead.

V6 Accord attracts highest possible taxes for a locally produced car (and no, they don't ship engines from Japan - it's nearly 100% local content).

The reason is simple - Thais don't need powerful, thirsty vehicles, they are considered luxury items and a burden on the economy and the society.

You could buy a 2.4l Accord for half the price that would get you from A to B at the same level of comfort, but if you really want power and performance - be ready to pay extra.

The upcoming eco-car project will offer lowest tax rates, lower than pickups - that's the kind of cars the government wants people to buy, not v6/v8 monsters.

I think everybody should have his own choice what he like to drive. If someone want to buy a V6 or a V8 Monster, he has a right to own and drive one. Not everyone is satisfied with the Eco Cars. I'm personally not at all. Not everybody is satisfied with a small townhouse. Not everybody like to eat the same fast food every day. Not everybody likes the same cheap furnitures. Some peaple like a leathersofa instead of sitting on the floor. Some people prefere a plasma TV instead of a black and white one. Some people have kids, some have dogs, some have 2 wifes and 3 houses, some people wear levis jeans and some wear the "made in china one" and some people love big cars. Eberybody have different ideas of a life style, and we should respect each other. Of corse big cars aren't neccesarry, but what is actually neccessary? We could live all in a 28m2 condo instead of a large house. We could use all the same mobilephone for 900 Baht, We could wear all the same dress or shoes, no Guccy, we could eat all the same fast food everyday, we could live like in the Estern Europe Countries in the seventies. If this would happen, i'll step in the plane on the same day.

BTW Thai Pick Up Trucks don't pass European 4 Safetystandards.

These outdated pickup trucks made in Thailand pollute the air with clouds of black diesel fumes and when they have an accident, many people die. I believe about 12'000 every year. Pickup trucks are inherently "unsafe at any speed".

I hold the Thai government directly responsible for thousands of death on the road in these unsafe trucks, because people could not afford a save vehicle.

Really? I'm sure it has nothing to do with fact of having the back bed of the pickup loaded with 20 to 30 smiling Somchais.... :o

Well, I'm not going to argue pro or against personal freedoms and choices, I'm merely stating the fact - Thai government thinks that freedom to drive anything you want must be restricted.

Euro4 is not enforced yet, is it?

The problem is with the quality of local diesel, they can't put clean motors if they can't run on what is sold at the pump. Now common Common-Rail technology was a big step ahead. Current engines are incomparable to what they sold in the 90s.

Edited by Plus

The upcoming eco-car project will offer lowest tax rates, lower than pickups - that's the kind of cars the government wants people to buy, not v6/v8 monsters.

Can you please give more details on this.

Also, I never realzied pick ups were so enviromently friendly. Have you considered that the reason the government does not tax them as heavily is because they can and often do hold 25 people?

Edited by lifeisrandom

name='lifeisrandom' post='2162362' date='2008-08-22 23:33:38']

O you mean a rolling coke can that you WILL be killed in a crash? GO TO IT. I'm gonna keep my 3 ton monster.

Edited by dotcom

90k for a Honda Accord :o I wonder what my Honda CRV would cost there?

A CRV In Thailand would be much the same price as you paid for yours.

The CRV costs more than twice as much in Thailand as it does in the USA as far as I can tell

The CRV starts from about 1.2 million in Thailand - that's about 35,000 dollars. So you are telling me that in the US they sell for about 18,000 dollars? OK, if you say so.

I think there are a few people on this thread that cannot afford a decent new car, thats why they are upset. because if you all had the money, you would all have a high end car and you wouldnt care about the environment or taxes.

Can you please give more details on this.

Also, I never realzied pick ups were so enviromently friendly. Have you considered that the reason the government does not tax them as heavily is because they can and often do hold 25 people?

Latest proposed excise tax for eco car was 15%, as far as I remember. Pickup taxes start at 18% for two door version, cars start at 25%, I believe.

Pickups are are quite large, heavy vehicles, and are not very cheap to produce. When everything is added together, Eco cars will cost about half.

>>>>

Long time ago Thais decided that pickups are the type of vehicles that were absolutely needed to drive the economy - farmers, small traders, family shops etc. etc. Cars, on the other hand, were seen as luxury items meant for comfort. This is the source of this historic discrepancy, I believe.

According to today's Motoring in Bangkok post, the engine for the next Ford/Mazda truck will be Euro4 compliant.

I think there are a few people on this thread that cannot afford a decent new car, thats why they are upset. because if you all had the money, you would all have a high end car and you wouldnt care about the environment or taxes.

Is a Honda Accord a high end car ? :o

I've owned a few and really like them but never ever considered it a high end car.

Just went to the Honda Singapore website and the same car costs about the same in Singapore as it does in Thailand. Are there added taxes to driving in Singapore beyond the inital price tag of the car? I know there aren't a whole lot of cars on the road there.

Also in Singapore besides the cost of the car you have to win the lottery (by bidding the highest amount of money that you pay straight to the government) just to get the privilege to buy the car you want. I've heard cases where this cost as much as $50,000 U.S. You've got to have a lot of money to buy a car in Singapore, the amount of cars on the road is strictly controlled.

Is a Honda Accord a high end car ? :o

I've owned a few and really like them but never ever considered it a high end car.

Well obviously you are not upset and can afford a decent car. If I had more money, I would buy a high end car. But I’m happy with my Accord at the moment. :D

The high import and excise tax here are a joke. Unfortunately, a joke that gives the government a lot of money (to buy a submarine), but costs dearly not only the environment, but also in human lifes.

They discourage sales of big powered motors - how does that harm the environment or kills people???

Cars made in Europe do not all have "big powered motors". Look at VW Golf e.g. with a 1.4 lt engine and an average consumption of 5 lt/100 km. Save AND clean. But with the import and excise tax on it, it would not be competitive here.

And then, "high powered" does not necessarily mean "high pollution". Modern technology makes a high powered engine cleaner and more economic than and outdated, low-tech engine. But modern engines would need high quality gasoline, ideally 98 octane, which is unavailable here. I don't know why.

These outdated pickup trucks made in Thailand pollute the air with clouds of black diesel fumes and when they have an accident, many people die.....

What are you talking about???? Thai made pickups conform to Euro standards and they are sold there in large numbers.

Recent independent tests showed that these pick-up trucks fulfill nothing but the minimum requirements for being legal, and even for this, they had to be modified from the version sold in Thailand (airbags etc.). If I remember correctly, the Toyota Vigo has been banned in Sweden for being unsafe.

And then of course, riding in the truckbed would not be legal in Europe.

Thai people simply cannot afford a clean and save European car, so they are stuck with their outdated pickup trucks.

Most cars sold here cost less than pickups - Jazz, Vios, City, entry level Corollas or Civics.

Europeans simply don't want to invest in local production and stick to selling heavily taxed imports instead.

I don't know what you mean. As far as I know, the following European car manufacturer assemble cars in Thailand: Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Volvo, AUDI (not sure if still today).

The CRV costs more than twice as much in Thailand as it does in the USA as far as I can tell

The CRV starts from about 1.2 million in Thailand - that's about 35,000 dollars. So you are telling me that in the US they sell for about 18,000 dollars? OK, if you say so.

Yes, that's about right: I saw US$ 19'272.00 here

Yes, that's about right: I saw US$ 19'272.00 here

That's interesting. I'm surprised. I don't think the price you quote is retail, but admit there's obviously quite a big difference. Probably not more than double however as was suggested.

One wonders though whether this is a case of Thai cars being expensive or US cars being cheap. Looking at the UK prices for CRVs they start from 18,000 pounds and go up to 25,000. This is almost exactly the same as in Thailand.

Seems like it's the US that is out of whack with everyone else, and whilst it's great for the individual consumer, i guess there is a bigger price to pay for all of us, if cars are made that cheap.

I found that price of US $ 19,272 in the Internet and it was the lowest of a number of offers. Also, it was the 2WD but 2.4 l engine.

MSRP for this model is $ 20,700

Even for cars assembled in Thailand, tax is high and probably the dealer's profit is more than the US dealer's. But I will check on that

All imported goods in Thailand except fuel cost 2 to 3 times the US price due to import taxes. It is not just autos and motorcycles but food stuffs, alcohol, electronics, clothes, household goods….everything. Free trade is a one way street and America is the shopper’s paradise not Thailand. The only thing cheap in Thailand is stuff made or grown here.

It is not a silly policy. Keeps the trade deficit down and fills the government coffers with revenue that otherwise would be found elsewhere. Most people in Thailand pay little or no income tax for instance. Crazy Thailand for putting more of the tax burden on the rich instead of slamming the poor and middle class like the Western governments do. Businesses need higher margins as turnover is much lower and they can do it as buyers are rich or poser rich and will pay.

As Plus said, trucks are important to the local economy and mostly made here. Luxury autos are not and tax rates logically reflect this.

Get over it. It seems outrageous at times but then I remember the $15-20,000 a year I save on medical and auto insurance over American prices and feel better.

And cars are a necessity in most of America as everything is spread out with little public transport. Between gas prices and mandatory insurance poor people in America are screwed.

http://www.honda.co.th/th/showroom/honda_accord.html

right hand corner. i don't know if that is with tax and title or not.

3.5 V6 2,880,000

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/honda/acco....speedread..2.*

EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

MSRP:

From $28,310

----------------------------

<deleted>?

Here is what I have learn so far, lets keep card manufactued out of Thailand out of this discusion for now we all realise the import taxes and the corruption that goes along with that.

Lets talk about a car or truck that is being made in Rayong and compare theat price to the price you would pay in the USA.

Yes you are going to pay a whole lot more money here for a vehicle for sure. Also dont forget you will not get the safety features that you will get in the states,I looked at a new car the cost was 600,000 B I asked how many airbags they said none, the reason was that this is a cheap car.

I guarantee there will be no re-enforcement to the doors, the brakes will not be big enough in the case of an emergency stop, forget anti lock.

It is a real joke here the cars sold in Thailand are only made for here, they can not be sold in Europe because of the safety issues

So bend over hold your ankles and take it with a smile take solice in the fact that the vehicle will not depreciate at the same rate as in the states.

All imported goods in Thailand except fuel cost 2 to 3 times the US price due to import taxes. It is not just autos and motorcycles but food stuffs, alcohol, electronics, clothes, household goods….everything. Free trade is a one way street and America is the shopper’s paradise not Thailand. The only thing cheap in Thailand is stuff made or grown here.

It is not a silly policy. Keeps the trade deficit down and fills the government coffers with revenue that otherwise would be found elsewhere. Most people in Thailand pay little or no income tax for instance. Crazy Thailand for putting more of the tax burden on the rich instead of slamming the poor and middle class like the Western governments do. Businesses need higher margins as turnover is much lower and they can do it as buyers are rich or poser rich and will pay.

As Plus said, trucks are important to the local economy and mostly made here. Luxury autos are not and tax rates logically reflect this.

Get over it. It seems outrageous at times but then I remember the $15-20,000 a year I save on medical and auto insurance over American prices and feel better.

And cars are a necessity in most of America as everything is spread out with little public transport. Between gas prices and mandatory insurance poor people in America are screwed.

You have some good point, CTM, and I agree that in total, life is still cheaper here, BUT:

- even cars assembled here in Thailand are more expensive than in other countries where they are imported.

- Cars are also a necessity here in Thailand with little to no public transport

- why pick-up trucks are in the national interest, but not save, clean and efficient passenger cars remains a mystery to me;

Sooner or later Thailand will have to respect the treaty they pledged to honor (WTO) and abolish these unfair import taxes.

I think why Hondas appear to be cheap in the US is because Honda and Toyota are not on a level playing field, they have to compete with the big 3 Ford GM Chrysler who have been over producing,overstaffed and paying too many/much in benifits, just building vehicles to pay the workers and retirees selling low to keep the process going.

Now that is changing because they cannot sell the volume they produce (bad for them at the moment)but they are

now in a position to shed a lot of this finacial burdon from a strong position agaist the unions(some jobs is better than no jobs). So when this all shakes out and they are probably produucing European type spec vehicles(economic but not as profitable) from slimmed down plants and staff, the investors in these companys will insist they do raise profits by charging more for vehicles.

Then Honda will be able to do the same thereby benifitting their streamlined cost effective plants and narrowing the price difference between the US and THAILAND . The larger engine models will always be dearer because of taxes here so if you want one in the near future US is the place to be .

There is no way to justify these markups except for pure and simple greed.
Buy a pickup truck and you will avoid most of the crazy taxes.

These outdated pickup trucks made in Thailand pollute the air with clouds of black diesel fumes and when they have an accident, many people die. I believe about 12'000 every year. Pickup trucks are inherently "unsafe at any speed".

Is it protectionism? Certainly also, and probably even in violation of the WTO agreement. European business is slowly waking up about these unfair trade regulations in Thailand. The agricultural producers have started a test case against Thailand (wine), I hope the car manufacturer will follow. Pickup trucks built in Thailand enjoy a free market in Europe, but European cars are punished by sky high import and excise taxes. Not Fair!

I hold the Thai government directly responsible for thousands of death on the road in these unsafe trucks, because people could not afford a save vehicle.

But there is another aspect. A wealthy Thai would rather buy an overpriced Mercedes-Benz E200 than a Honda Accord 2.4 at a fraction of the Benz' price. Why? Show off and snobism.

OK, enough ranting... :o

... but I wish I could afford a better car.

You don't see many pickups in Germany... unless the wife's from Isaan :D

Edited by mahtin

A dealer will only make 10,000 baht on a 1 million baht car here.

that seems very little profit to make on a car. how are they going to pay wages, rent and electric bills with only 10k profit from every car? they would have to sell say 100 cars in a month to make 1 million baht. 1/2 mil for salary, 3-400k for rent and utillities. not to mention everything else. not much profit in that business. and also how is it then that you can negotiate a lower price and have extras thrown in?