Building, Owning, Mooring - Boat

wimpy

Hi All,

I’m toying with the idea of building/buying a pleasure boat. Most likely a trawler about 35 feet in length.

Can anyone offer information concerning the rules and regs for operating/owning a water craft for personal use?

I could also use information about berthing facilities near Phuket, and competent (wood) boat builders.

TIA.

dont build it out of wood!!!!!!!!!!

you will have nothing but problems with it.

fiberglass or aluminum would be better.

dont know of any shipbuilders in puket but im sure there are.

look at pre cut boats and just have a local company do the welding together.

you can import the structure from other countries from factories and just build it here.

or buy second hand.

which is easier

dont build it out of wood!!!!!!!!!!

you will have nothing but problems with it.

fiberglass or aluminum would be better.

dont know of any shipbuilders in puket but im sure there are.

look at pre cut boats and just have  a local company do the welding together.

you can import the structure from other countries from factories and just build it here.

or buy second hand.

which is easier

What do you have against wood boats?? I grew up living on and around wood boats. We never had any problems. Sure they are higher maintenance, but the cost of labor here is pretty cheap. Are you saying there is a problem with "Thai" wood boats?

We have owned wooden boats built in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore. All were excellent, with the Hong Kong boat being especially well built. When he died, my Dad had an absolutely pristine 1974 36' Grand Banks "woody" that he kept in a boat house in Puget Sound. He used to spend his winters in the boat house detailing her. Too bad his wife sold her instead of giving her to me. Btich!

I was thinking of basing the boat on a Thai fishing trawler hull, with an enlarged cabin instead of a fish hold. I could see putting around the Andaman Sea for a couple of weeks at a time, snorkeling, barbequing, and sipping gin tonics. :o

Give me a call if you need a hand...I was a dab hand with the old airfix kits as a lad....ahhhhh the good old days of glued together eyelids and waking with your hair stuck to the pillow

Careful, I might just take you up on that! You sound just like my brother. A boatyard rat he was.

What do you have against wood boats??  I grew up living on and around wood boats.  We never had any problems.  Sure they are higher maintenance, but the cost of labor here is pretty cheap.  Are you saying there is a problem with "Thai" wood boats? 

We have owned wooden boats built in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore.  All were excellent, with the Hong Kong boat being especially well built.  When he died, my Dad had an absolutely pristine 1974 36' Grand Banks "woody" that he kept in a boat house in Puget Sound.  He used to spend his winters in the boat house detailing her.  Too bad his wife sold her instead of giving her to me. Btich!

I was thinking of basing the boat on a Thai fishing trawler hull, with an enlarged cabin instead of a fish hold.  I could see putting around the Andaman Sea for a couple of weeks at a time, snorkeling, barbequing, and sipping gin tonics. :D

What do i have against wooden boats....nothing.

and as you so rightly said that your dad had a 74 grand banks in a boat shed in Puget Sound.

so ok get your local thai fishing boat maker to make you a exact replica. and enjoy.

sorry for giving advice.

i would love to see the finished product. :o:D:D

What do i have against wooden boats....nothing.

and as you so rightly said that your dad had a 74 grand banks in a boat shed in Puget Sound.

so ok get your local thai fishing boat maker to make you a exact replica. and enjoy.

sorry for giving advice.

i would love to see the finished product. :o:D:D

Sheesh, touchy touchy. I was just trying to get into your thinking as to why you would avoid a wood boat. Whether you didn't care for wood boats in general, or had bad experience with Thai built wood boats... From your answer, I'll assume you don't think much of Thai wooden boat builders.

Next up is the Phuket King's Cup Regatta from Dec 4 - 11 in south west Thailand, where Shirley Robertson, the Olympic Games double-gold medallist from the UK will be a special guest this year. This is by far the best attended regatta, attracting yachts from Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, US, UK and Italy amongst the 70-plus entries, to be the region's premier international sailing event and making it one of the highlights on the Asian Calendar. Press releases and AY Race Reports are posted at http://asianyachting.com/news/PKCR04.htm

Conveniently timed to start on the Kings Cup layday (Thurs Dec 9) the Phuket International Marine Expo 2004 (PIMEX) will be showcasing a growing number of local boat builders including Malaysia's DK Yachts, Thailand's Latitude 8's jet driven 50s style power boat, Samui Ocean Yachting twin-masted Radical Bay 8000 catamaran and Bill Gasson's Buzz 8 sports boat from Pattaya. Others aiming to capture local and international export markets include Payoon 3 the only super-yacht to be built in Thailand, owned and operated by Kingfisher Marine and Phuket Water Taxi's commercial power catamarans built under contract to Patriot Marine of Australia, a deal struck at PIMEX 2003. Certainly something for everyone at http://www.phuketboatshow.com

:o:D

and i still dont have anything against wooden boats.

ony if theyre made in thailand by thai fishermen etc etc etc.

:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

Attended the boat show, poked around the marinas, and learned much about the yachting scene in and around Phuket. It appears the selection of used boats in this part of the world is very limited. Both harbors in Phuket are full, and the moorage is a little pricey. Didn’t see anyone at the boat show that was doing quality custom boat building of the type of vessels I’m interested in – diesel trawlers. It appears that I will be best served by importing a boat myself. A friend who has done it in the past, says forget Thailand, and import into Malaysia. Due to the lower moorage and duty free status, Langkawi sounds like it might be the place to keep a yacht. A little more work to get there though. Thoughts?

You won't be able to drive it yourself, even as a pleasure craft. You are supposed to have a Helmsman level II, or, a Thai captains licence to do so. You even need a Helmsmans level II to hire a jet-ski.

For more info, go to the Phuket Gazette web site. Go to issues and answers. Type in the word "boat" in the field named "containing word" and there are a few answers from the authorities on what you need.

You won't be able to drive it yourself, even as a pleasure craft. You are supposed to have a Helmsman level II, or, a Thai captains licence to do so. You even need a Helmsmans level II to hire a jet-ski.

For more info, go to the Phuket Gazette web site. Go to issues and answers. Type in the word "boat" in the field named "containing word" and there are a few answers from the authorities on what you need.

Thanks for the post. I read through the Gazette postings. It sounds like they are referring to Thai registered vessels. Am I getting this right? I find it hard to imagine that all the foreign skippers of foreign registered vessels plying Thai waters have Thai licenses. Hope some others can provide more information.

Attended the boat show, poked around the marinas, and learned much about the yachting scene in and around Phuket.  It appears the selection of used boats in this part of the world is very limited.  Both harbors in Phuket are full, and the moorage is a little pricey.  Didn’t see anyone at the boat show that was doing quality custom boat building of the type of vessels I’m interested in – diesel trawlers.  It appears that I will be best served by importing a boat myself.  A friend who has done it in the past, says forget Thailand, and import into Malaysia.  Due to the lower moorage and duty free status, Langkawi sounds like it might be the place to keep a yacht.  A little more work to get there though.  Thoughts?

A diesel trawler sounds interesting. Any more news about where to have one built? Also I've heard a little about Chinese "junks". That they my be a reasonable way to get around in the Andaman Sea.

Here's an interesting concept

I wonder how cheap you could get one built?

Interesting looking vessel. I'm sure you could find someone to do her in steel. I don't know about aluminum though. I didn't see any wood boat builders of interest, though there may well be some competent ones. If I lived in Phuket, it would be easier to research it. I'm seriously thinking of importing something to Malaysia. Even with the shipping, it would be cheaper than what I have seen offered here.