Overstaying By 1 Day

I'm planning on going to Laos leaving on Sunday night to get a tourist visa from a thai embassy.

However, I'm contemplating overstaying by 1 day, and leaving thailand on Monday. There's no fee for overstaying for 1 day, but is it advised? What are the downsides for overstaying by 1 day, will it effect getting a tourist visa issued?

--matt

I'm planning on going to Laos leaving on Sunday night to get a tourist visa from a thai embassy.

However, I'm contemplating overstaying by 1 day, and leaving thailand on Monday. There's no fee for overstaying for 1 day, but is it advised? What are the downsides for overstaying by 1 day, will it effect getting a tourist visa issued?

--matt

overstaying by a day is fine... the only downfall is they stamp your passport, which takes up space

--matt

overstaying by a day is fine... the only downfall is they stamp your passport, which takes up space

Overstaying by one day will probably result in a 500 baht fine at a land border. If you're flying out of Suvarnabhumi Airport it is free.

--matt

The Immigration at any landborder will collect 1day overstay=THB500.- from you, only at the Airport you get 1day grace period.

It is not advisable to overstay,since you approach the landborder it is not a good idea , if you are checked before the border you are at the mercy of the officer.

The day overstamp should have not effect on your Tourist Visa Application.

Yup ^^^

As visarunner says, using a land crossing is not advisable even if you're only 1 one day over. The buses do get stopped and illegals removed for processing.

Leaving by air you are unlikely to have any problems :o

Avoid overstaying if you can but if there is some great convenience to be gained by it don't worry. Does the 500 fine outweigh the cost of getting there on time? That is how I would determine it.

The 500 Baht cover a night in Vientiane,no risk(however small),no overstay stamp in the Passport(take away place,too).

If possible,worth it. :o

• 1 year later...