Buying A New Car At The Bangkok Auto Show

Nhscotsman

Hi,

I have been looking to buy either a new Black Toyota 4 door pickup, either 4x4 or 4x2 or a new Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris and I have been having an impossible time finding the exact pickup I wanted and when I did speak to dealers about the smaller car, no one wants to discount much because the cars are in high demand. I have had a few people tell me to wait till March and buy the car when the car show comes to town. Is it worth waiting for the car show? Can I get a great deal at the show? I did go to the show this year and I saw some nice ones, but I didn't price them seriously and I was curious if anyone here has bought a car at the previous shows.

Thanks,

Nhscotsman

I don't know but it is only September and March is 6 months away. If you're looking now they I'd presume you don't want to wait 6 months ?

The 25th Thailand International Motor Expo 2008 @ IMPACT Bangkok

29 Nov - 10 Dec. 2008, Challenger 1-3

Ticket Price: 80 THB

Mon. - Fri. 12.00-22.00 hrs.

Sat.-Sun.and holidays 11.00-22.00 hrs.

Edited by Grant

I don't know but it is only September and March is 6 months away. If you're looking now they I'd presume you don't want to wait 6 months ?

The 25th Thailand International Motor Expo 2008 @ IMPACT Bangkok

29 Nov - 10 Dec. 2008, Challenger 1-3

Ticket Price: 80 THB

Mon. - Fri. 12.00-22.00 hrs.

Sat.-Sun.and holidays 11.00-22.00 hrs.

Thanks for this info on the show at IMPACT Bangkok, I will surely check it out when they come. The show I had gone to before was at BITEC. In regards to the other poster who asked about why wait until spring to buy a car. I live in Bangkok and actually right across the street from where I work, but I thought a car might be nice to have to get away on the weekends with, but over the past month, I have been looking for car and found it to be an utter nightmare. When I have found one I liked, they either won't discount it very much or when I get the deal I want, they can't either get the car or they have an issue selling the car they have. My frustration level is high after dealing with car salesman in Bangkok. At least with the "saleswomen", they have all been beautiful (always a perk) and they seem to go out and put the added effort into closing the deal. When we have come close to closing a deal, a male manager has always come along and screwed it up. So for as long as I have lived in Thailand, I have been without a car and it hasn't been a huge issue, but having one might be nice too. If I have to wait until spring to get a great deal, so be it. I am all about price, nothing more. If I have to buy a cheap motorbike to buzz around the Soi on for 6 months and then buy the car, that would be fine. I would just take the bike up to our other home in Trat afterwards and leave it there for when we go up for holiday. Many people I work with suggested the auto show buying idea, but none had actually bought one from there, so this is why I was asking here. Also, if anyone has had great dealings with a particular Toyota dealership, please let me know. The ones I have met so far are all a waste of my time and I always loved dealing with Toyota when I was living in the United States.

Have a great week and thanks for the comments.

Nhscotsman

nhscotsman As you are all about price, nothing more, a trip to your local Mitsubishi Dealer and a big discount on a Lancer would be on the cards. However you like Toyota like a large proportion of Thai buyers and they sell their products through factory owned dealers and they don't discount (only outgoing models)thats why every one will give you the same price only superfiscial extras(mats etc) thrown in. Your beautiful saleswomen have no intention of giving you a discount only keeping you in the showroom and hoping you will just say "Oh Okay" i'll buy it when the salesmanager apparently scuppers the deal you just brokered. The dealers are only a waste of time to you, not all the Thais who do it the right way walk in pay the money and drive away . I think you will find a similar situation at shows.

I think you can get so nice deals at the shows...depending on the economy. And 6 months from now, the world-wide and Thai economies will likely be weaker than they are now so it should be a highly promotional environment. At times like these, the automakers will often have free scheduled maintenance packages (for the first few years) and often 1 years 1st class insurance free too! Along with free mats and a few other goodies.

All that being said, I would never buy a new care in Thai or Farang land. But a 1-2 year old model and let someone else take the 20-25% depreciation hit.

I believe and have a real experience in buying a new Toyota Altis. I believe you WILL NOT get any deals or discounts at the auto show. Why? Because they are new models, and are always at higher demand, and they will add you to a "list" and when your car is available, you'll get it.

Here's the real experience. I went to the last auto show at IMPACT center, I made a trip down from Chiang Mai. We waited for over six months because we "wanted" a new model Altis. Well, guess what. They still were not even showing the car, they had one on display, but you couldn't look inside and they were not even taking orders at the time. Long story short. Had to wait till they arrived in Chiang Mai dealerships. Luckily, we knew the largest dealership here so went early and dealt with a sweet lady salesperson, who also spoke English. We ordered the car, took only three weeks to get because we were second on the list. They would not discount one baht - because they had customers lined up. It wasn't till about 3 months later I found out that they were offering various incentives on the new Altis. The biggie was the first year first class insurance included, plus other extras, mats, etc. The insurance alone was worth 24,000 baht.

SO, if you see a vehicle you like, if they don't deal, just wait a few months and surely they will have some kind of promotion. Just keep checking...