Tourist Visa - Use By Question

I applied for a 60 tourist visa on Sept 19 and planned on arriving in Thailand in early Oct. I had some issues come up that delayed my departure until Nov 11 (arriving the 13th from LAX).

The visa says:

Good for (actually, I can't read that part because it's under the stamp but that's what would make sense) one (1) Journey (single entry so the s next to Journey is striken out) to Thailand. This visa must be utilised before 19 Dec 2008 if the passport remains valid.

My question is whether or not that means I have to begin my 60 days before Dec 19 or I must complete my travel on that visa by Dec 19. And assuming that I have to end my travel in Thailand by Dec 19 would it be better to go to Thai immigration and request a 30 day extension (my return flight is booked for Jan 7) or can I do a border run and re-enter on a regular 30 day entry (forget what it's called but when they just stamp your passport at immigration with no visa required)?

Speaking of border runs, because my visa is single entry, can I travel to say Cambodia for a few days and re-enter using the same 60 day tourist visa or does the visa become invalid once I leave the country and attempt to re-enter? That's always confused me about the single vs. multiple entry visas.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

Cheers

You must 'Enter before' the 19th Dec to begin the 60 days. You can then extend by 30 days at immigration within Thailand.

So, if you entered, say on the 18th Dec you could stay in Thailand until about mid March.

If you have only used some of the days on the visa I believe you can get a re-entry permit to come back on same visa. NOT 100% sure how this works. Hopefully another member can explain the rules/regulations regarding this.

When you enter they will give you a permited to stay stamp that will be 60 days from the day you enter. You can extend your visa with no problem for 30 days beyond that date.

The must be utilized by date is only for entering the country once in the country it means nothing.

Your single entry visa can only be use once. A 2 entry visa can be used twice as long as its done before the utilized by date.

A visa is a permit to come to Thailand and ask for permission to stay, not the permission to stay itself. You just have to make use of the permit and ask for mission to stay before Dec. 19. If you do that you can get a permission to stay from immigration for 60 days, extendeble by another 30 days.

...If you have only used some of the days on the visa I believe you can get a re-entry permit to come back on same visa. NOT 100% sure how this works. Hopefully another member can explain the rules/regulations regarding this.

[/quote

Buzby,

Thanks! I actually do remember reading about the re-entry permits now that you mention it. Seems pretty simple from what I remember.

I actually do remember reading about the re-entry permits now that you mention it. Seems pretty simple from what I remember.

Yeah, have read about it here too. Have a bit of a search and you should be able to get info required.

All the best and have a great trip :o

When you leave Thailand your Visa is finished. When you come back you will get a 30 day stamp.

Alternatively you can get a Re Entry Permit for 1,000 Baht and keep your original permision to stay alive.

Up to you.

Edited by Lite Beer