Tourist Visa -> Non-o -> 1 Year Retirement Extension

You can get a single Re Entry Permit 1,000 Baht. Or a Multi Re Entry Permit 3,800 Baht.

Out of interest. When you leave after 4 months how long are you staying away before you return?

Likely not for another 7-8 months, and then return then for another 4-5 months..

No problem. Just wondering if it was all worth the effort just for a few months stay.

Do not forget that you will have to be here next year to do it all again.

I called the Vancouver consulate, they said no problem for a 90 day single entry non immigrant O visa - send application, copy of letter from pension org and $65 (~2000 bht), so it is on its way there now by courier... an extra day to get there than my first choice, but I should have it back in a week. *sigh of relief*

Good

Did you check with any of the other consulates I suggested?

I think the single entry is best for you. Just don't forget to get the re-entry permit before you leave Thailand. A multiple entry non-o would be a waste of money since you can go out and come back on a single using the re-entry permit.

Don't forget my suggestion about opening a bank account as soon as you get here and transfer some money in just in case immigration asks for it when you apply for your extension.

Joe

Edit: Just read your most recent reply. What do you mean by the 4 months that you will be here? Visa is only good for 90 days and re-entry permit does not change that. Unless of course you are including some time after getting your one year extension.

2 of the other consulates I tried to contact were only open a few hours, 2 days a week... neither of them on a friday afternoon.

after 60 days, I will either apply for the 1 year extension (for retirement), or possibly for a non-immigrant B, depending on my situation at that time... as I will be looking at business opportunities and there is a possibility I will get into some kind of business venture by that time...