Need Tabien Ban (?) To Get White Plates

canopy

A month after purchasing a vehicle and waiting for white plates, the Toyota dealer springs on me that I must now give him a tabien ban document in order to be issued white license plates. I gather this document is some sort of home address record. I don't know how to go about getting it. In case it matters, I don't have a work permit and I am not married. Anyone have any advice that might help sort this out?

All I needed was the standard Certificate Of Residency from the local Immigration office. To get that though, my name had to be on a house book (i.e. I had to have an actual address, not just a hotel room somewhere).

Was never asked for anything else (in regards to getting my "white" plate).

A month after purchasing a vehicle and waiting for white plates, the Toyota dealer springs on me that I must now give him a tabien ban document in order to be issued white license plates. I gather this document is some sort of home address record. I don't know how to go about getting it. In case it matters, I don't have a work permit and I am not married. Anyone have any advice that might help sort this out?

Ask the dealer if the semi standard "Embassy certificate of place of residence" would suffice. It's good enough for the Thai driving permit and for Immigration, should be OK to register a vehicle. Ask the dealer what Dept of Land Transport office he's dealing with. Perhaps the dealer just hasn't seen the Embassy paper before. FYI, for most embassies it's NOT FREE, unfortunately.

Mac

Thai Immg. Offices have a form just for this sort of thing.... I have gotten them twice, first when obtaining my Drivers Lic., second time was when purchasing my truck... Just got to any Immg. Office and explain that you need a Residence Statement for purchasing a vehicle... They may want a copy of your Rental / Lease Agreement....

Pianoman

Hi :o

You can also get it from your embassy, in case you don't have a rent contract. Like me (rent in boyfriend's name) i just took along a couple of letters that have reached me at that address (birthday card from overseas, UBC bill) to verify that i really live there and it was no problem to get the document.

But at the embassy it can be expensive! German embassy charges 1,200 Baht for it, but they will give you multiple copies if you ask, at no extra cost (get driving license, register vehicle - each needs an original of that document).

Best regards.....

Thanh