Question About Thai Embassy In Kuala Lumpur

I have a couple of quick questions that I'm hoping the veterans on here can answer. I'm a U.S. citizen.

I just recently arrived in Bangkok. Since I knew that I'd only be granted 30 days on entry, I booked a flight to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia before I even arrived, where I planned to obtain a 60-day tourist visa with a minimum of two entries.

After reading this forum, I'm wondering if I haven't picked the wrong place to do a visa run. I figured it would be fun to spend a few days in KL, as I've never been there before, and that all embassies/consulates would have the same rules and issue the same visas.

My questions:

1) What can I hope for at the KL embassy in terms of the maximum duration/entries I will be granted on a tourist visa?

2) I assume that by obtaining a proper visa, I will be exempt from the rule dictating that a person can only spend 90 days in Thailand in every 180-day period. Am I right?

3) If I read correctly, I should be able to get a 60-day tourist visa in KL, which can be extended in Bangkok for 30 more days, followed by another 60-day visa obtained somewhere out of the country, which can also be extended in Bangkok by 30 days. Am I correct?

My maximum anticipated duration of stay in Thailand is approximately six months.

Any information that you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by RoadWarrior

1) I dunno! a double entry Tourist Visa is possible but am not sure

2) Any visa moves you out of the 90/180 rule

3) Yes you can extend the 60 days by 30 at any time by paying 1900 baht at immigration in Thailand

3)--cont --- yes back to back Tourist visas are allowed (Laos is a good place for a double entry Tourist Visa) and Vientiane is a great place to hang out for a couple of days.

Malaysia has an embassy and two consulates, one in Penang and one in Kota Bahru; however only Kota Bahru will give you a double entry visa; furthermore Kuala Lumpur is a good place for getting visa. It is very organized and I have been informed by insider that they never refused to grant a visa to any one without a serious problem; but my advise to you is that when you arrive to the embassy and register your name with the security guard at the door, who will hand you the application form, do not start filling it first; just go inside the room and collect a number, then get out and take your time to fill it up, so you won't have to wait much longer.

The rest of your questions had been answered by better teammates hereabove.

Good luck and have a nice trip.

Bishop

I have been to the Embassy in KL many times... never any problem... Just make sure you arrive early... at least 8:30am or earlier, so you get in the front of the line... otherwise a long wait... get the form and fill it out while you wait for the doors to open.

KL is a great place... enjoy.

CS

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...