Can I Deposit Us Checks In A Thai Bank

I'm going to try to ask this question from a new angle:

Does any know from EXPERIENCE that a check drawn on a US bank can be deposited in a thai bank?

In my case, I will get 2 checks a month from the University of Hawaii, and they will look like paychecks, not personal checks, I can also provide a statement to accompany the check, etc...

Or, can someone ask - next time they visit their bank?

I'm moving in 2 weeks and would like to have my checks mailed to me rather than the alternatives.

But, no sense doing it if I can't deposit them.

These are not social security checks.

I'm thinking I will open an account at siam or ayudhaya bank in chiang mai.

thanks,

Jeff

takes about 1 month to clear foreign check and you loose some 10% on charges. Faster and cheaper, if the uni is able to transfer money to your american or thai bank or if your family in the US can put those checks to the bank

takes about 1 month to clear foreign check and you loose some 10% on charges. Faster and cheaper, if the uni is able to transfer money to your american or thai bank or if your family in the US can put those checks to the bank

The university won't auto depoisit to thai bank.

"put those checks to the bank" what do you mean?

the checks can be posted to your family in the US who will deposit them at your bank. Once cleared you can do online transfer from US bank to thai bank

mai dai! The banks here dont want to online transfers to thailand~

I tried many many banks.

it's a long story, it should be easy, but it's not - plus I don't want my money in the US.

my daughter would have to go in to the branch in person and do a wire.

Anyhow, my original question is the one I'm seeking an answer to.

Which bank charged you 10% Fee?

Thanks,

Jeff

It might take a bit less than a month. The charges vary from one bank to the next. Some banks charge no more than 350 baht for some checks.

which ones?

I've deposited several times a US check with Bangkok Bank and the charge was around $10.00 (350 Baht) and 3 weeks to clear in each case. Not heard of a 10% charge which seems quite steep. Best probably to contact the banks you are considering and ask them their specific charges and requirements. But yes, it can be done.

My university (US) checks go by direct deposit in my US bank account and I have a debit card that I use here to access the funds. Seems that would be the easiest and quickest way to access it.

I've asked this before and I will ask it again as I still don't have an answer.

When you do deposit a US check (or UK, etc.) in a Thai bank, how is it recorded in your bank book? The same as an international wire would appear, or different?

If different, would such check deposits be accepted by immigration for visa purposes when they require that funds be transferred from abroad for certain visa types?

Edited by Jingthing

I've asked this before and I will ask it again as I still don't have an answer.

When you do deposit a US check (or UK, etc.) in a Thai bank, how is it recorded in your bank book? The same as an international wire would appear, or different?

If different, would such check deposits be accepted by immigration for visa purposes when they require that funds be transferred from abroad for certain visa types?

Same question for UK Cheques?? Will they be recorded in the Bank Book as funds from overseas?

Just a minor point to consider: reliability of local mail.

You could also deposit your checks into a HI bank, then transfer it online to one of the Internet banks that allows ATM withdrawals abroad (some debit cards with VISA logo charges around 1.5% or so, and some banks like ING will charge around 300bhat for a 15,000bhat withdrawal).

Depositing the occasional check is probably OK, but twice a month is plenty of "opportunities" for headaches.

Best of luck. Let us know if you find a good option.

Ask UH to direct-deposit your monies into a US-based bank; then transfer electronically the funds to the NYC-based Bank of Bangkok, presuming of course you have established a Bank of Bangkok account in Thailand. You may be able to get away with having the funds directly deposited to the Bank of Bangkok in NYC.

Ask UH to direct-deposit your monies into a US-based bank; then transfer electronically the funds to the NYC-based Bank of Bangkok, presuming of course you have established a Bank of Bangkok account in Thailand. You may be able to get away with having the funds directly deposited to the Bank of Bangkok in NYC. All you need is the bank's routing number and an account number.

Ask UH to direct-deposit your monies into a US-based bank; then transfer electronically the funds to the NYC-based Bank of Bangkok, presuming of course you have established a Bank of Bangkok account in Thailand. You may be able to get away with having the funds directly deposited to the Bank of Bangkok in NYC. All you need is the bank's routing number and an account number.

Great idea!

Is it possible to open an account with NYC Bangkok Bank without going to NYC? That is, can we open an account with them online from Thailand?

Thanks, Gumball

I bank with Bank of Ayudhya in Hua Hin. I deposit my Social Security checks monthly and it takes approximately 10 days to clear. I just checked and they seem to charge a flat fee of 200 baht plus a 3 baht stamp duty. The reason I say a flat fee is because when I deposit my husbands SS check (which is more than mine :o the charges are the same. Have never had a problem with Ayudhya and they are most helpful.