Filing A Police Report In Bkk

Harley62

Hi, Can anybody advise me on filing a Police Report for a lost Passport? (yes, VERY foolish of me)

In speaking with the US Embassy (BKK) they asked me to bring an "original Police Report" for the loss....

Any ideas where would be the best (easiest) place to file such a report? Does it have to be at the closest (geographically) Station to where I think it was lost -- or better I choose a Station that has more interaction with foreigners, etc..?

And, will it be difficult, in terms of communicating? I have never dealt with the local Police, but I am expecting the "worst"...

Thanks in advance,

H

Edited by Harley62

Go to the station for the area you lost it in, walk in, tell them you need to file a report for a lost passport.

Fill in the paperwork and get a copy/receipt.

What is "worst" about this to expect?

I think it's quite natural to dread this kind of interaction. Several years ago, actually because of my own fault, there was an error made on my visa for my visit that year. When I tried to cash some travelers' checks I was temporarily refused because my visa had expired. I pointed out that the visa was actually correct, that it was the stamp at the airport that was wrong.

They did cash my TC's, and directed me to the Immigration Office...and, like this gentleman...I just dreaded it. I imagined standing in lines for hours or even days. Indeed, the lines did extend forever. So I walked around until I found a desk where an official wasn't doing anything and wai'ed my little heart out and asked for some help. "Oh, big problem!" My heart sank. "Go upstairs to room XXX." When I got up there I again was very polite and acted very needy...and is less than 3 minutes they solved my issue and were happy to do so.

On the few occasions I have had interactions with the police or other officials in Thailand, I have always been treated very nicely. But I am very nice to them when I approach. I've watched other farangs rant and rave and get nothing. I think if you are basically in the right, you are apt to do well with the right attitude. Do you have a respectable Thai that could go with you? Even better.

Go to the station for the area you lost it in, walk in, tell them you need to file a report for a lost passport.

Fill in the paperwork and get a copy/receipt.

What is "worst" about this to expect?

I’ve made 2 loss reports, one in Bangkok and the other upcountry.

It’s easy and nothing to worry about. Go to your local police station and tell them why you need a loss report. They fill in the form, stamp it and give you a copy and that’s it.

The cop in Bangkok a couple of years ago did charge me a minor amount, 5 or 10 Baht with receipt. Upcountry early last year it was free.

I needed to go to Thonglor Police Station yesterday to file a complaint, the officer was polite and helpful he understood my problem and dealt with it efficiently. This was my second visit to Thonglor, on my first visit none of the officers could speak very good English, so the PA to the officer in charge of the station was called for, and she translated for me.

On a side issue, a young woman came into collect the personal belongings of her father who perished in the Santika fire, she was treated with compassion and the belongings, cash, credit cards and jewellery were all handed over to this lady very quickly.

I read many stories about visits to police stations and dealings with the police, but credit must be given where it's due.

Edited for typo

Edited by theoldgit

I was sent to the nearest police station when I was pickpocketed at Saphin Taskin, Loy Kratong. The BIB I spoke to near the scene, gave me 100baht to get home and gave mototaxi 20baht to get me to the nearest police station to make the report. If I didnt go straight away I knew I would probably not want to go at all and face them. Had visions of being bribed or something worse! They didnt speak any english and couldnt have been more helpful. It took the young policeman just over two hours, to fill out the report, he was so nervious dealing with the farang madam, I felt a bit sorry for him. He couldnt believe how much stuff had been taken, various shopping cards, credit card, passport. All I wanted to do was get home and start cancelling my cards. Follow phetavoi's advice, you have to remain calm and show respect and patience, its the only way here. I didnt find out until later he didnt write down that I was pickpocketed, the insurance girl picked this up straight away, (made some comment to me, about having a man in my room who stole it! As this appears to be how the majority of passports disappear here). My reply to her was rude, and I can tell you it resulted in delays and problems with that company as a result!) how was i to know the report being in Thai. So have some one look at it who reads Thai just to check.

In addition, when I fronted with the emergency passport to immigration, I was not on the system as having done a visa run to Mae Sai, so I was effectively on overstay according to their records. (The police may have even know this when I was there if they checked. Had I have been rude, impatient at the station, then yes problems could have arisen). I was told to go to interview room XXX at immigration and the officer, female, gave me a really hard time, was rude, abrupt, interrogating the whole time in Thai. Sat for three hours just reading my book and smiling when she spoke to me etc. The police report I gave her didnt have incident on it so I can only assume she thought I was on the game or something!!!ha, ha. I have no doubt that if i had offered some money I would have been put back on the system. They stamped for one month and i was happy with that just to get out of there. Then asked me to come back the next day and held my passport overnight. All a bit weird. As luck would have it my original passport got handed back in. Took that to the officer and she changed the stamp to correct the mistake. I left smiling and wai ing and thanking but i can tell you she seemed even madder. In hindsight, it would be better to take a respectable Thai person with me, so if you can arrange this I feel it would be much better. NOTE: Have a copy of your passport and the VISA in a safe place somewhere!!!!!

You might call the Tourist Police whose number is 1155. The person who answers speaks English, but I'm not sure if that person is really a police officer or only someone who speaks English acting for the police. But he/she can tell you what to do or where to go, or in a pinch if you are at a real police station and have difficulty communicating, you can call that number to have that person translate for you to the policeman you are dealing with.

I've filed a police report on soi Suan Plu next to the immigration office. (I forget the name of the district.) It did not take any time at all to get someone to take the report in English (even though they did ask a lot of questions to make sure we were in the right district.) The guy taking the report was hardly in a hurry to get it done and was trying to chat up my friend and I, but it was very amusing and we were laughing most of the time. At the end, the man writing down the report (that did not speak English) suggested to the translator in Thai that it was 200 baht to file the report. The translator replied to the guy that since we are 'ladies' that live here, it would be free of charge. It was difficult to not laugh at that remark, but luckily I managed.

Hi, Can anybody advise me on filing a Police Report for a lost Passport? (yes, VERY foolish of me)

In speaking with the US Embassy (BKK) they asked me to bring an "original Police Report" for the loss....

Any ideas where would be the best (easiest) place to file such a report? Does it have to be at the closest (geographically) Station to where I think it was lost -- or better I choose a Station that has more interaction with foreigners, etc..?

And, will it be difficult, in terms of communicating? I have never dealt with the local Police, but I am expecting the "worst"...

Thanks in advance,

Easiest to go to Tourist Police, 0-2843-5522 I think is the number(I had it in my mobile phone book) and it's located around Petchaburi and Ratchadaphisek I think. I guess I could have looked it up for you, but I'm sort of occupied doing something else.

:o:D:D