Can Thai Doctors Cure Flu

kennkate

My Wife as just taken her 19 Year old Son to the Doctors Sinus Problems

Doctor said he has Flu and gives him an Injection plus Pills 200 Baht

Said it was to Cure the flu first, then He was to come back for Sinus treatment.

If this is True Best tell the western world. My doctor in the UK says he can't Cure Flu. Who is telling the truth here.

Nobody can cure flu,the bug mutates all the time so you can only ease the symtoms.

Sorry but we are looking at it from the blinkered perspective of western medicine. Chinese Thai doctors have had the solution for a very long time. It just needs a variety of different coloured antibiotic pills (which you only take if you feel the symptoms a lot), plus some powdered frog testicles, dried gall bladder of brown bear, any dried roots to hand and some lucky charms to hang up. (don't forget the donation to the temple/shrine of your choice) . It is such a shame that westerners have lost their instinctive faith in the wisdom of generations of ancestors.....

Nobody can cure flu,the bug mutates all the time so you can only ease the symtoms.

Sorry but we are looking at it from the blinkered perspective of western medicine. Chinese Thai doctors have had the solution for a very long time. It just needs a variety of different coloured antibiotic pills (which you only take if you feel the symptoms a lot), plus some powdered frog testicles, dried gall bladder of brown bear, any dried roots to hand and some lucky charms to hang up. (don't forget the donation to the temple/shrine of your choice) . It is such a shame that westerners have lost their instinctive faith in the wisdom of generations of ancestors.....

My wife was shocked at the primative standards of medical/health care in the UK when she came to stay with me and ended up having to have regular parcels sent by her mother so that she had the pills she needed as, in Thailand, pills are easily available to make you thin, make your her grow properly and change your skin colour!

Said it was to Cure the flu first, then He was to come back for Sinus treatment.

If this is True Best tell the western world. My doctor in the UK says he can't Cure Flu. Who is telling the truth here.

Flu can not be cured (nor a cold).

Maybe something has been lost in translation.

pen wat = cold

pen khai wat = feverish cold

Khai wat yai = flu

Sinusitis also needs to be differentiated from blocked sinus.

It sounds like he has a heavy cold that has also led to blocked sinus - possibly.

Really the only treatment at this stage should be paracetemol, a decongestant, and lots of bed rest.

A steam tent, alternating with ice packs around sinus areas works for me, as do hot showers and sinus rinsing.

It's quite nasty, but short lived.

Wait for definitive guidance from a moderator.

No matter which problem I have, I always get the 2 same kinds of medicine here in Thailand:

- paracetamol

- antibiotics (500 mg amoxcillin).

They always give a cheap broad spectrum antibiotic and never any more specialized, specific kind of antibiotics.

Besides those 2 I sometimes get other pills too. I never leave the hospital without a bag full of (cheap and unnecessary) pills.

I never use paracetamol if i don't have a fever and I never use antibiotics if I don't have an infection or risk having an infection. So I have enough unused medicines now to supply the whole street.

Edited by kriswillems

I had a good laugh at this response , goes with the GOULIES , GHOSTIES AND THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT syndrome , eat and stay healthy , you will find should you get symptoms of flue or cold , they will disapate quicker than those on medication that only relieve the symptoms but cure nothing . Thai tend to be hypocondriacs and when they go to the pharmisist they are often given medication that has nothing or little to do with thier symptoms . Next time your wife/gf gets medication , google it or check it out on webmd or drug.com , check particularly for side effects . A healthy diet(not Thai) helps to prevent illness in the first instance , no need to search for a cure .

I have had 2 heart attacks , the first I was precribed the 'Normal ? ' medication cocktail , the second a Thai doctor at BNH precribed different medication and a change in lifestyle and diet , that was 5 years ago , for the past 4 years I have taken no special heart medication except for the occassional Chinese cure for heavy heart beat . The remedy is what counts , not the reliance on drugs to maintain a somewhat decent life .

Your wife was shocked at the primative standards of medical/health care in the UK when she came to stay with me and ended up having to have regular parcels sent by her mother so that she had the pills she needed as, in Thailand, pills are easily available to make you thin, make your her grow properly and change your skin colour!

Influenza, if that is what your son has, is a viral illness and does not respond to antibiotics. Treatment is symptomatic relief: paracetemol, decongestants, fluids and rest. If a bacterial superinfection occurs (which can happen) then appropriate antibiotics. Antibiotics may also be goven prophylactically to people with weakned immune systems, young infants and the very elderly.

That said, it is very common practice in Thailand to give antibiotics routinely. Not good medical practice, but customary, and many Thai patients expect this.

There may, indeed, be soem translations issues as to whether or not your son has a simple upper respoiratory infection (with or without sinus bockage) or actual influenza.

When there is any doubt as to whether an infections os of bacterial as opposed to viral original a simple blood count is helpful (blood test).

Good list, but you forgot shaving the head bald except for a little pig tail in the back.

I love that pig tail, as a teacher it makes finding the most gullible kid in the glass really easy.

Is it possible to get flu vaccine shots at regular Thai hospital? How to say this in Thai?

I'm due for a trip to the States. The last few times I picked up the flu on the plane over and it made for a miserable vacation.

I got one a few years ago at Bangkok Phuket Hospital, but remembered the nurse telling me that few people get them so it wasn't cheap.

Thanks.

Hi. I'd like to tell you that you can only ease the symptoms, but not CURE FLU. Good Luck ! Hope all's goin' well.

Is it possible to get flu vaccine shots at regular Thai hospital? How to say this in Thai?

I'm due for a trip to the States. The last few times I picked up the flu on the plane over and it made for a miserable vacation.

I got one a few years ago at Bangkok Phuket Hospital, but remembered the nurse telling me that few people get them so it wasn't cheap.

Thanks.

Yes I had a flu jab a few weeks ago...you are correct the cost was a few hundred baht. I had one in the past, in the UK years ago and said never again. ..kin hel_l did I feel bad..thought it was flu... Anyway my wife pusaded me to have it..the doctor said it wasn't a live vaccine.

So prior to the jab I had had the sniffels for many many weeks and had only been free of them for a few. Back came the sniffles and I still have them. Apparently, I'm told, nothing to do with the jab....but never ever again..............